Author Topic: Can a pizza be Neapolitan without "00" Flour?  (Read 4772 times)

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Can a pizza be Neapolitan without "00" Flour?
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2013, 01:38:24 PM »
Pizza, I enjoy very much reading your posts... They show passion, deep knowledge and respect for the tradition.
This is matter for a different thread, but I am curious to learn your take about certain things surrounding the tradition of Neapolitan pizza.
I am talking about certain philosophical, environmental and cultural aspects that have not much to do with the pizza itself but with the experience surrounding the same.

Omid's has an epic thread on that very subject.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14506.0.html
Pizza is not bread.

Offline italdream

« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2013, 01:44:14 PM »
Ha. Thanks for the link ;) I guess I'll have to go through the 108 pages of it... It'll make a nice reading for the summer...

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2013, 01:45:37 PM »
Ha. Thanks for the link ;) I guess I'll have to go through the 108 pages of it... It'll make a nice reading for the summer...

It is absolutely worth it.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2013, 02:12:41 PM »
 ^^^  and don't miss Omid's amazing website:http://pizzanapoletanismo.com/2011/09/27/a-philosophy-of-pizza-napoletanismo/

Offline italdream

« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2013, 02:43:26 PM »
Wow, if he has not done so yet, I see a book in his future...

Offline CJ

« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2013, 04:50:20 PM »
Dear Pulcinella, you made some critical points in your post. Mark Twain once said, "Get your facts first, and then you can distort [or modify] them as much as you please." Mozart first had to learn the rules of Baroque and Rococo compositions before being able to break or modify them for the sake of engendering his Classical compositions. In turn, Beethoven had to first master the preceding rules of Classical compositions before evolving them into his Romantic compositions.

In the same vein, if I were to establish my own Neapolitan pizzeria and uphold the tradition that has made it a possibility, first it is imperative for me to understand the tradition (which is an oral tradition for the most part, hence, not readily accessible and understandable) as a fundamental frame of reference that provides a mode of commitment, and, more specifically, as a system of thought, behavior, and rituals shared by a group of people to whom it is entrusted. Next, I would take a considerable amount of time to put to practice the system of thought, behavior, and rituals in making Neapolitan pizzas—the way Neapolitans do—until I have a relative mastery over them. So, I would have to forgo using non-"00" flour, dough fermentation in a refrigerator or chilled box, and the rest of the items you enumerated above. A tradition falls apart when there is no commitment to it and its prescribed norms. And, I am not saying that one should mimic all the norms like a parrot who utters words without understanding their meanings. In my estimation, there are sound reasons underlying the norms.

Once I have mastery over the tradition, which takes years, then I can commence to become creative about it. Ciro Salvo and Da Michele do what they do because they have already gone on a long journey which you and I have just begun. The journey is an odyssey, and every odyssey has an inbuilt sense of return to a distant past. To move forward, we must look back. Good day!

Omid

ah, so could not a Tig welder improve on or even develop a new or better welding without having been a Forge welder?
Did stick welding come about only from a Gas welder? Or Did someone who understood electricity see an application in welding.
Could the stick welder find the path to wire welding without understanding Gas welding?
Or is it that Neapolitan is Just the art of Forge welding.
I love them all but am a true Master of none.
None the less I agree with Omid the more you understand of the roots the better we can care for the tree.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2013, 11:06:04 PM »
A week on the stick and a minimum wage worker can cook a pizza.  Another week and he can use someones formula and make the dough.  The art is in product, not the manufacture thereof.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2013, 11:31:23 PM »
I would respectfully disagree somewhat. Minimum wage, maximum wage, low profile job or high. Not everyone can or will do a good job even given ALL the tools, money and education in the world. THAT comes from within. My dad taught me at a very young age, ALWAYS take pride in your work regardless what it is. From mowing a lawn to building a rocket ship and everything in between, do the best you can...ALWAYS! I work in critical care and I've seen people get straight A's through school and still do not exhibit that at the bedside. Same in the food industry I was raised in. Best equipment, recipes etc and still put out mediocre food, but the high school drop out that goes from dishwasher to cook can be the best chef in the city. You are right, anyone can can cook a pizza and use someones formula, takes an artist, someone with integrity and pride, inner worth, to make it work

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

pizzapan