Author Topic: Blackstone Mods and Adjustments  (Read 45515 times)

Orde and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline barryvabeach

Blackstone Mods and Adjustments
« on: July 22, 2013, 06:05:28 PM »
For new users, here is a webpage that lists various mods and tips for the Blackstone Pizza Oven.  Anyone is free to edit it as they see fit.http://www.newportmediation.com/pizzawiki/index.php?title=Talk:Main_Page

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
Re: Blackstone Mods and Adjustments
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 06:45:03 PM »
For new users, here is a webpage that lists various mods and tips for the Blackstone Pizza Oven.  Anyone is free to edit it as they see fit.http://www.newportmediation.com/pizzawiki/index.php?title=Talk:Main_Page

Also available at www.pizzawiki.info

Offline Roman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 10:15:38 AM »
I'm looking at using the oven on a raised area on the deck, modifying the base by removing the legs at the joints, then resting the oven over an insulated surface. Can someone take a temp at the approximate plane where the leg joints are? My thinking is to lay something like Roxul board, then the paperless sheet rock, then stone / tile it. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 07:27:52 AM »
Roman,  I will check this weekend, but don't think you would have any problems - you could probably put it straight on a wood platform.  All the heat goes up.  I think someone IR's the stock ballbearing, which is much higher up in the oven and it was only 125.  I am running the motor with batteries, again no problems.  If there was a significant heat issue at the floor, it would cook the batteries.  The legs themselves may conduct some heat, but probably not very much. 

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 08:14:40 AM »
Good post Barry....plus; he's right down there where the air intake/flow is happening, correct? That rectangular cutout at the bottom of the face is supposed to be an intake, no?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 01:30:50 PM »
Bob,  IIRC, it is actually open on bottom as well, but yes, I am guessing the lower cutout  allows for an air intake, as well as to access the switch to turn on the motor to spin the lower stone.

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 08:50:12 PM »
Roman,  I looked at it more closely today - absolutely no problem with any type of deck you want to use - not only is it very open above the bottom of the base where the legs snap in, they use plastic headed knobs to fasten the shelves, and that is up above the bottom of the base.

Offline Roman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 06:55:40 AM »
Barry, thanks for your post. I'll likely do a minimal cosmetic stone surface to accent the look of the BS. The BS oven without the legs has potential to be attractively integrated within an outdoor kitchen setting. I want to work through potential hazards and not limit functions and not effect any of the mechanics by containing heat first, then work it into the flow and deck design.
Seems all good as the BS should be delivered tomorrow.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 05:14:41 PM »
Here's what happened in the Gap Test (adjusting the collar which sets the platter height).  Many thanks to Bobino for his contribution.

Setup notes Unmodified BS Setup
1.   Cold start (no topside radiant heat) then full flame on for 2 minutes 30 seconds.
2.   Rotisserie off
3.   00 Flour, docked, and skin slid into place on tinfoil
4.   1/8", 3/8", 5/8", & 7/8 Gap between the SS deck and steel cordierite tray.

Dave
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 05:28:44 PM by Tampa »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 05:24:37 PM »
Thanks for posting this Dave.  Very informative. I had lowered my steel plate last week suspecting the height I had it at contributed to cheese burning in the center of the pie.  This illustrates that suspicion.  Thanks again for your tests and sharing the info with the rest of us. 

How long were the skins in the oven for?  Also the flame was off when the skins were placed into the oven right?

Chau
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 05:26:29 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 05:26:14 PM »
Another look with more pixels and depth as viewed from the flame.

=> Does anyone have a good theory to explain why the char increases as the gap increases? :-\

Dave
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 05:59:46 PM by Tampa »

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 05:30:48 PM »
How long were the skins in the oven for?  Also the flame was off when the skins were placed into the oven right?
Thanks JT.  I edited the first picture to include bake time which was 2:30 on each skin.  All skins were placed in cold with the flame off.  Timer started concurrent with the blowtorch.
Dave

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 05:39:20 PM »
Thanks Tampa. You guys are awesome. I hope Bobino had a nice cold beverage for you to go with that crow. (not that I think you had any reason to eat any)

jb

Offline italdream

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 06:21:57 PM »
Dear Tampa,

With all due respect for the other contributions by all members (including mine), this is the single most important experiment/post that I have seen on the BS.

The deductions are multiple, but importantly it may just help us to adapt the height based on the style of pizza and other preference, without making any additional mod.

My oven was great out of the box (except for the misaligned axis), but was slightly more burning in the center than I desired. The deflector improved the results, but your new science just leads me to experiment with height (on a straightened axis).

Thank you. It takes tremendous passion and dedication to the cause to do that, although I understand that it must have been a lot of fun for you.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 07:59:56 PM »
Thanks for the very kind words italdream & junior.  Together we'll figure this thing out.

Offline communist

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2013, 08:37:54 PM »
Dave,  thank you for your valuable research - your findings are amazing!  Mark

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2013, 09:14:28 PM »
Another look with more pixels and depth as viewed from the flame.

=> Does anyone have a good theory to explain why the char increases as the gap increases? :-\

Dave
Thank you for your time and patience on this excellent experiment Dave and Bob....you guys are nuts.  8)
One quick question and then I'd like to weigh in on this if ya'll don't mind a non owner running his mouth.  ;D

It's a stupid question really but I want to be absolutely clear because I'm finding it a bit hard to believe your surprise at the results.
The "gap" you are referring to is the distance between where the platter rubs on the framework up to the bottom of the platter (as you adjust the collar to create your various test gaps)....correct?

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2013, 09:44:34 PM »
Does anyone have a good theory to explain why the char increases as the gap increases? :-\

As you raise the turntable (increasing the shelf-to-turntable distance), the space between the outside edge of the turntable and heat shield becomes smaller, right? Think of it like water flowing out the end of a hose. When you place your finger over half the opening, the water squirts out with more force and further. I'm thinking that the flame is forced through that smaller space at a greater force (maybe even a wider area too), and is bouncing off the top stone and arcing towards the center of the pie faster, hence more charing.  Is there a difference in sound when you raise the plate? I wound think so if the flame was passing through that space at a greater speed. At least this is how I imagine it. I may be way off course though.

Maybe we need some night time videos showing the flame in action with the various heights. Take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2013, 10:26:38 PM »
Yes you are right Jim.  As we raise the steel plate/stone (increase the gap between the bottom of the plate and metal lip of the oven) we put the crust closer to the flame.   The heat is more concentrated as we get closer to the ceiling.   

Chau
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 11:09:17 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2013, 10:33:26 PM »
I wonder about the glow bar and it's ability to disrupt/direct hot air flow?

pizzapan