Author Topic: New Wave Pizza Oven @ Target  (Read 624 times)

Online tomz

• I Love Pizza!
New Wave Pizza Oven @ Target
« on: September 20, 2014, 02:22:40 PM »
I was at my local Target store today (in Daytona Beach) and saw a stack of the New Wave LD-901F ovens in the clearance section being sold for $24.  Amazon has them for $66.  I couldn't resist so I picked one up.  I just got a Deni Pizza Bella on ebay and made a few nice pies using the fan on the thermostat trick to get the temps up to around 700F.

I just turned on the New Wave to setting 2 for 10 mins and the stone was already @ 600F with no mods.  It says it heats to over 700.  We'll see.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: New Wave Pizza Oven @ Target
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 08:38:10 PM »
Tomz, please send pics, never seen that oven. Would love to see the pizza you make in it too.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 09:11:12 PM »
I was at my local Target store today (in Daytona Beach) and saw a stack of the New Wave LD-901F ovens in the clearance section being sold for $24.  Amazon has them for $66.  I couldn't resist so I picked one up.  I just got a Deni Pizza Bella on ebay and made a few nice pies using the fan on the thermostat trick to get the temps up to around 700F.

I just turned on the New Wave to setting 2 for 10 mins and the stone was already @ 600F with no mods.  It says it heats to over 700.  We'll see.
link to your target purchase pleaz.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online tomz

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 09:26:02 PM »
At Target.com, it costs $89 and says it is only available online.  Maybe that's why my local store is discontinuing them.  They had 4 left when I was there.  Here is the same oven @ Amazon for $66.  http://www.amazon.com/Newwave-Stone-Pizza-Matte-Black/dp/B00HNSUHF0/?tag=pizzamaking-20

I haven't made any pizza with it yet.  I'm still testing it to see what the temps are at the various settings.  It got up to 728F in 12 mins at setting 2 and then I turned it off.  6 Minutes later it was 655F.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 09:36:47 PM »
At Target.com, it costs $89 and says it is only available online.  Maybe that's why my local store is discontinuing them.  They had 4 left when I was there.  Here is the same oven @ Amazon for $66.  http://www.amazon.com/Newwave-Stone-Pizza-Matte-Black/dp/B00HNSUHF0/?tag=pizzamaking-20

I haven't made any pizza with it yet.  I'm still testing it to see what the temps are at the various settings.  It got up to 728F in 12 mins at setting 2 and then I turned it off.  6 Minutes later it was 655F.
Why not jus blast it with the fan mod and see what we got here man?

I have an American Lil Deni an it will go way higher....hard to find though and my sis wants something like this.

Thanks!   :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 09:38:21 PM »
Are you measuring temps with an IR gun? The spec's says it cooks pizza in 5 minutes, but at 700+ it would be well overdone.
Josh

Online tomz

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 07:31:21 AM »
Are you measuring temps with an IR gun? The spec's says it cooks pizza in 5 minutes, but at 700+ it would be well overdone.
I measured it with an IR gun.  I am still testing it to see what temps result from what settings.  I like the Deni to be around 600 - 650 for the NY pies I make.  The last pie I made in the Deni took 4 mins.  I don't know yet what to set the New Wave at to get what I want.  I am also in the middle of fixing a contaminated sourdough starter and football is on today so I don't know if I'll get to do much testing today.  There are only so many hours in a day. :o

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 12:28:38 PM »
$51.99 @ Amazon, right now. $10 shipping
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Online tomz

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 12:40:28 PM »
So I made up some dough for an 8-pie using Lehmann recipe with 62% hydration last night to test the New Wave.  I set the oven to setting 1 until it preheated and then dressed the pie.  When I put it into the NW, the temp was around 550.  I turned the thermostat to 1 1/2 and closed the lid.  At 3 mins, I checked the temp - it was only 540.  The pie was starting to bubble, but it was not where I had hoped it would be.  I turned the thermostat all the way up and checked again at 4 1/2 mins.  Almost there but the top was not brown enough.  Finally took it out at 5 mins.  The crust was a little dry and not as chewy as I had hoped.  Oven spring was OK, not great.  Next time, I think I'll preheat at 1 1/2 and then turn it up to 3 when I put the pie in.  It loses a lot of heat when you open the lid and the thermostat has a wide range.  It may turn off @ 575 and not turn back on again until it hits 500.  It's not a high tech, precision thermostat (probably identical to the Deni).  I'll keep on testing.

Offline Introducer

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 11:17:15 AM »

Hi,
Which Target in Daytona is it?
I'm in New Smyrna just might go and pick one up. Thanks

Online tomz

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 11:22:54 AM »
It was the Target on International Speedway and Williamson.  They were at the end of the aisle in the cookware section.  Good luck finding one.  I'm doing another test this weekend and will post the results here.

Offline elav

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 05:08:54 PM »
It's not a high tech, precision thermostat (probably identical to the Deni).  I'll keep on testing.
  Years ago I worked on a project to improve toaster ovens.  Most existing toaster ovens we tested had thermostats that would have temperature swings of +/- 50 degrees F from the set temperature.  First thing we did was retrofit an existing toaster oven with a more accurate thermostat and we were surprised to find out that nothing cooked correctly.  We determined the wide temperature swings allowed food to cook without burning but the higher temperature swing would promote browning.  So the low-tech thermostat might be a benefit...

Online tomz

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 10:40:24 AM »
  Years ago I worked on a project to improve toaster ovens.  Most existing toaster ovens we tested had thermostats that would have temperature swings of +/- 50 degrees F from the set temperature.  First thing we did was retrofit an existing toaster oven with a more accurate thermostat and we were surprised to find out that nothing cooked correctly.  We determined the wide temperature swings allowed food to cook without burning but the higher temperature swing would promote browning.  So the low-tech thermostat might be a benefit...
That's interesting.  Thanks for the info.  Maybe the cheap thermostats are a blessing in disguise. :)  I've got the dough in the fridge for another pie tomorrow.  We'll see what happens.

Online tomz

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2014, 07:27:27 PM »
So I made a pie with the new Wave tonight using a 62% hydration Lehmann dough refrigerated for 48 hrs that was taken out of the fridge 2 hours before baking.  After a quick preheat,the temp was 600 when I put the pie in. I turned the thermostat up to 3 before I put it in.  After 2 minutes I checked and the stone temp was only 350.  I am slow with the peel and the lid was open for a few seconds, but that's a big heat loss.  I cooked the pie for about 7 minutes.  It tasted good, but either my IR thermometer is bad or I need to crank up the temps even more.  I'll probably try another one later this week.  This pie used pesto as the base with mozz and fresh plum tomatoes on the top.

pizzapan