Author Topic: Sooo burnt my first attempt at pizza on a blackstone  (Read 178 times)

Offline clayfu

• I Love Pizza!
Sooo burnt my first attempt at pizza on a blackstone
« on: November 25, 2014, 03:01:48 PM »
Quick intro.

I've never made pizza before at home. My wife bought me a blackstone for my birthday. Made my attempt at dough and tried making a pizza today.

I heated up the oven for about fifteen minutes at the max heat, my infrared gave me about 850F on the stone and the temp on the oven maxed out at 800.

Threw in the pizza (boy am I bad at shaping the pizza/keeping it loose enough to toss into the oven.. but that's another story) and within seconds it was crisping black. It became a burnt crisp within 30 seconds. On the plus side, there were a few parts not burnt and the dough was pretty decent, so I have that going for me.

Any tips on what temp to put it in? Want to try again tonight. My wife is threatening to return the oven since she thinks I'm wasting money screwing up on pizza ;D.

Offline dogboy

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Sooo burnt my first attempt at pizza on a blackstone
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 03:08:45 PM »
Quick intro.

I've never made pizza before at home. My wife bought me a blackstone for my birthday. Made my attempt at dough and tried making a pizza today.

I heated up the oven for about fifteen minutes at the max heat, my infrared gave me about 850F on the stone and the temp on the oven maxed out at 800.

Threw in the pizza (boy am I bad at shaping the pizza/keeping it loose enough to toss into the oven.. but that's another story) and within seconds it was crisping black. It became a burnt crisp within 30 seconds. On the plus side, there were a few parts not burnt and the dough was pretty decent, so I have that going for me.

Any tips on what temp to put it in? Want to try again tonight. My wife is threatening to return the oven since she thinks I'm wasting money screwing up on pizza ;D.
what style of pizza are you going for?
Many launch at 650 which is about 10 minute warm up on high.
depends on the style and dough you are using.
Keep the  oven!!!

Offline clayfu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 03:24:34 PM »
Going for a NP style.
Excuse my terminology if it's wrong, using 50/50 KABF/AP, 65% water and some ADY.

I think i'll stick to 650 as it literally burnt to a crisp. Whole pizza was a nice layer of black within one minute. Didn't know the oven got hot enough for that O_O.

Offline dsissitka

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 03:33:28 PM »
No oil, salt, or sugar?

850F is way too hot for KABF. I would drop the KABF and try 750F.

Offline clayfu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 03:45:06 PM »
sorry salt as well.

Oh i did brush the dough with oil (I was just testing it out, no toppings)But the bottom of the pizza looked like a forest after a forest fire.

Will drop to 750 tonight!

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 06:00:57 PM »
No oil brushing. Try 600F and lift off the stone before it gets burnt. Try a little less hydration at 1st, say 60%, you can alway add more later once you get the hang of handling pizza dough. This stuff for most of us mortals takes time and practice. Don't set yourself up for failure too early. Remember you can eat your mistakes, but only if it aint ashes.
Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline clayfu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 08:39:31 PM »
alright! Tried it at 650F and after a little more than 2 minutes the pie came out!

I still need A LOT of work when it comes to shaping the dough but I think it came out pretty well!

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 09:31:23 PM »
clayfu,  nice looking pizza,  hope it tasted great.  There are a lot of people who got a great pie first time with the BS, but the vast majority of those people had been making pizza for a long time, and had a pretty good feel for dough and temps, so I think you are right on the learning curve.   

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 11:40:38 PM »
Clayfu, the color looks good on top, how was the bottom. Much promise shows here. Practice makes perfect, or at least closer to it.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles