Author Topic: Blackstone Pizza Oven  (Read 364484 times)

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Blackstone Pizza Oven
« Reply #4600 on: November 08, 2014, 11:26:32 PM »
Just saw this at the $269 price. Worth it? or Should I sink more $$ into making my kettle pizza better?

I would buy without a second thought. Been one my best purchases.

Offline dbarneschi

« Reply #4601 on: November 10, 2014, 11:25:21 AM »
I live in Cambridge, MA. With winter approaching, what precautions should be taken with the Blackstone oven? How gently does the oven need to be heated to prevent the stone from cracking? Should the oven be brought into my garage for the season when the average nighttime temperature drops below a certain point?

Offline I8Pizza

« Reply #4602 on: November 11, 2014, 05:19:26 PM »
Lowes online $269,  minus $25 off 250 online code: 47000RRRRR3798R (replace "R's" with random numbers.  Minus 10% veteran discount taken in store when I went to pick up.

Grand total after tax $237.72

Score!!  And my wife is awesome!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4603 on: November 11, 2014, 06:49:35 PM »
I live in Cambridge, MA. With winter approaching, what precautions should be taken with the Blackstone oven? How gently does the oven need to be heated to prevent the stone from cracking? Should the oven be brought into my garage for the season when the average nighttime temperature drops below a certain point?
search feature would show you this has all been recently discussed.

Yes, you can leave outside ,even in Minn. like Jon does ...stones an all.  An common sense tells you to heat it up a lil slower if it is below zero out.   :pizza:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline dbarneschi

« Reply #4604 on: November 11, 2014, 08:34:38 PM »
search feature would show you this has all been recently discussed.

Yes, you can leave outside ,even in Minn. like Jon does ...stones an all.  An common sense tells you to heat it up a lil slower if it is below zero out.   :pizza:
Good to know. Thanks.

Offline Andy42

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4605 on: November 14, 2014, 01:42:19 PM »

As a follow up to questions about using the Blackstone in cold temps in this thread and a couple others - I had a chance to use the BS in chilly temps the other night and I am happy to report it performed fantastically!!  The stone started at 20 degrees and after a minute or two on low it climbed over 100, so I cranked it up and after 20 minutes it was a nice 800+.  And I share not because I didn't trust the words of others - I was more concerned with myself being able to handle cooking outside in the cold!!  I think I performed okay, but surely not as well as the Blackstone.  My kids loved the big puff of "smoke" (moisture) that occurred every time I took a hot pizza out of the oven!

It wasn't all pleasant - pretty tough to scrape the newly fallen snow off the cover and then even tougher to put the cold/frozen cover back on after.  And the motor really struggled at the start - it barely turned and I had to help it along for a bit until warmed up.  Might have to bring that inside (and this is an upgraded motor).   But good to know that nothing was tough enough to prevent outdoor pizza making this winter!

The main reason for my post is I am looking for a thread on this forum where someone put firebricks or insulation in the area behind the cooking chamber in the Blackstone.  Not that I think it is completely necessary, but I have a bunch of firebricks laying around and was thinking that they may help hold heat in the oven allowing for a more efficient use of gas.  Granted for cooking the other night after I cooked a few neo-pizzas at 800 degrees I turned the oven to the lowest setting and it held a solid 600 degrees while I cooked up some other (beer dough) pizzas.  But there was no wind and winds are what normally hamper my outdoor grilling/smoking in the winter.  So I'm thinking the extra insulation or firebricks up top might be useful as a barrier. 

Anyway...anyone know where to look for that post?  I've used the search function with every combination of words I can think of related to the modification and I can't find it. 

Thanks!
Andy

Offline dbarneschi

« Reply #4606 on: November 15, 2014, 09:15:06 AM »
Beautiful looking pizza Andy! Good luck with the firebricks. Please report back if you wind up using them.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4607 on: November 15, 2014, 03:12:14 PM »
Andy,

Here is Larry's insulation design: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,34087.msg339123.html#msg339123

Personally, I'm not a fan of more weight/mass.  I think less is more (quicker warm up, less gas, same bake).  See Blackstone Mods and Adjustments for details.

Dave

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #4608 on: November 16, 2014, 04:54:16 PM »
Just saw this at the $269 price. Worth it? or Should I sink more $$ into making my kettle pizza better?

This has been going on for a few months now. If you're interested you should jump on it because it only seems available online at select locations. This means Lowes is not restocking them and doesn't care to ship them all over the country just for a specific "in-store" pickup. If you can't find one online, change "your store" to a different location or check availability at different locations near you. They are getting sparse in my area.

Offline Wallman

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4609 on: November 18, 2014, 10:15:18 PM »
Just joined Team Blackstone.  :) So far I'm very impressed; at about 3/4's on the gas knob, the oven heated up to around 800 degrees in about 10 minutes -- the ambient air temp was about 32 here in NoVA.  I was able to get the oven from Lowes for $269. Assembly wasn't too bad, putting the bottom shelf on was a pain since I was by myself and had a hard time holding it in place while trying to screw it in.  And, the stickers took about 2 hours to get off using a heat gun, Goof Off and a lot of scraping, they must use the world's strongest glue on those suckers.

First two pies were just Harris Teeter dough, they baked in about 3 minutes at around 750.  Going to test out some Molino di Borgo San Dalmazzo’s “Verde” flour this weekend.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 10:32:36 PM by Wallman »

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #4610 on: November 19, 2014, 07:23:45 AM »
Nice looking pie.  To me, after years of playing around with woefully underpowered 120 volt countertop ovens, going to the BS was like playing with a volcano - tons of power.

Offline Crispy Please

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4611 on: November 19, 2014, 11:27:20 AM »
I looked on amazon for a while but couldn't find one I liked. I want a small one that just covers the cooking chamber, something like a cover for a little weber grill.  But I couldn't find the right size. Hopefully blackstone offers an inexpensive option soon.

I use a Classic Accessories 73422 Veranda Kettle-Style Barbecue Grill Cover which you can buy on Amazon. It fits very well, has a cinch cord, tie-down straps with bayonet buckles and loop handles. I find the light tan color more appealing than the black plastic of most vinyl covers. This thing is very tough and durable. I use the same brand on my 2 Kamados as well.

-Crispy

Offline Crispy Please

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4612 on: November 23, 2014, 01:56:44 PM »
I use a Classic Accessories 73422 Veranda Kettle-Style Barbecue Grill Cover which you can buy on Amazon. It fits very well, has a cinch cord, tie-down straps with bayonet buckles and loop handles. I find the light tan color more appealing than the black plastic of most vinyl covers. This thing is very tough and durable. I use the same brand on my 2 Kamados as well.

-Crispy

I forgot to mention, I removed the side trays (I find them useless) and then the Veranda cover fits the Black Stone perfectly. It's about $20 on Amazon and you can usually get a (barely) used one for a few bucks less. The quality (durability) exceeds every black plastic cover I've seen.

Offline chaspie

« Reply #4613 on: Yesterday at 04:08:32 PM »
Is Lowe's shipping V1 or V2?  The picture on their web site is a V1 model, but the pic up above from Wallman looks like a V2.  The box pictured in the post by I8Pizza has a picture of a V1 on it. 

Are there improvements in the V2 that make it more desirable than the V1?

Offline Wallman

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4614 on: Yesterday at 04:20:48 PM »
The one I bought was V2. The picture on the box will show which version is inside. You can tell it's version 2 if the picture shows the gas tank holder instead of the shelf.  There is a post above that discusses the differences.

Offline novasquid

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4615 on: Yesterday at 05:56:11 PM »
out of the four lowes near me, they all have the v1 except for one of them. it's best to call the store and ask them.

Offline chaspie

« Reply #4616 on: Yesterday at 07:47:33 PM »
Thank you, Wallman.  I'm going to stop by one of the Lowe's in my area that has them to see what version they have.  I'll look for that post you mentioned.  Actually, I've been looking, but haven't found it yet.  :)   
EDIT:  Found some info here:  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25127.msg302962.html#msg302962

novasquid, I've rarely found it useful to call a store to ask product-specific questions.  Generally they can tell you if they have an item in stock, but that's about it.  I see you don't have your location listed.  If you're in the north Dallas area, please let me know what stores you've check out.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:56:18 PM by chaspie »

Offline novasquid

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4617 on: Yesterday at 10:54:59 PM »
I'm in northern va. all of the lowes near me have the BS listed as a special order item, meaning you won't find it on any shelves or even on the demo floor. they're all back in the stockroom out of sight. I found it was much easier to call each lowes and ask then to verify the style of BS they carry.