Author Topic: Question about blackstone  (Read 304 times)

Offline MikePriz

• I Love Pizza!
Question about blackstone
« on: July 31, 2016, 02:30:51 PM »
I live in an apartment complex where there are rules around coal and propane grills. Coal is prohibited and propane grills are only allowed if using the small 1 lb camping tanks.

Would I be able to use the BS with those small tanks, and if so, how long do you think it would last?
Also, when it's being used, does it generate any smoke? If not, maybe I would get away with using the standard propane tank if I hid the tank from eyesight.

Thanks!

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Question about blackstone
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 03:45:09 PM »
It doesn't generate any smoke, but it's fairly loud when running - kind of sounds like a jet engine.

I don't know if you could get enough gas flow from a 1# tank or not? If you could, my guess is that you would get the preheat plus maybe 2-3 pies out of a tank. If you lose gas mid-bake, I think the pie would be pretty much lost.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline MikePriz

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 04:01:42 PM »
Good that there's no smoke, but if its really loud that could be a problem. I'd prefer to not be noticed by people walking by as the patio is outward facing to the street and only 3 feet from the neighbors patio.

Offline enchant

• World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 05:38:06 PM »
I have to wonder if the 1 lb tank is an indication of how big a grill it is.  That is, if it uses a 1 lb tank, it's probably a little thing.

The other night, we cooked 40 pizzas on a full 20 lb tank, and I'd ballpark that it used half the tank.
--pat--

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 10:20:38 AM »
Mike,. You would probably be better off with this http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=51251526&KPID=19885040&pla=pla_19885040.  There are some reviews here , it is sold as a pizza que. Or pizzeria pronto,. Not as good as a BS but designed for 1 lb.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 10:27:07 AM »
Mike,. You would probably be better off with this http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=51251526&KPID=19885040&pla=pla_19885040.  There are some reviews here , it is sold as a pizza que. Or pizzeria pronto,. Not as good as a BS but designed for 1 lb.

Or simply bake in your home oven with a steel...
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage