Author Topic: Blackstone Mods and Adjustments  (Read 33522 times)

Offline italdream

Re: Blackstone Mods and Adjustments
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2013, 06:29:45 AM »
One quick question and then I'd like to weigh in on this if ya'll don't mind a non owner running his mouth;D
The question is when are you going to take the plunge and join the BSOG (BS Owner Group)?

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2013, 07:39:25 AM »
I'm saving up my S&H green stamps....only need to fill up 7 more books man!  :D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2013, 07:47:24 AM »

LOL, i bet there are people here that have no clue.... :-D

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2013, 07:58:09 AM »
Bob,

How does a 21-year old know about S&H greeen stamps? :-D

Peter

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2013, 08:06:22 AM »
LOL, i bet there are people here that have no clue.... :-D
Ha! I'm absolutely sure you are right about that Deb.  :)
About 40 yrs. ago my Grandma passed away; she lived alone in a small apartment in a hotel downtown. When my parents were packing up her belongings they opened the doors on one of those old 6ft. tall double door metal cabinet things and the thing was cram packed full of stack after stack of neatly piled filled books of S&H green stamps and books of Raleigh cigarette coupons.
Grandma was a little old school Italian woman and she didn't trust the Banks....they found $12,000 stuffed into her mattress :o!  Boy if I had only known that...I spent many a nights sleeping on that mattress as a little boy visiting her on weekends.  ;D

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2013, 08:08:56 AM »
I wonder about the glow bar and it's ability to disrupt/direct hot air flow?

I don't think that the "glow bar" was an intended design feature of the BS, same as with the unique placement of the lower bearing.  :-D  After Barry hacked his off, I followed as I felt it was a good idea. Nice smooth path for the flame.

I have a pizza-gut feeling that there is also physics involved here with more of the angled heat shield being exposed as the turntable is raised. When more of the angled shield is exposed, more flame will be "scooped-up" and headed through what is now a smaller gap/space between the outer rim of the turntable and the heat shield. I think with more flame directed towards the smaller opening, it will increase the speed of the flame moving through that opening. That increased speed will push more flame in that arc towards the center of the pie. Just makes sense to me. Take care!

Jim

PS - I remember S&H Green Stamp Books too!  :-D
The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2013, 08:28:11 AM »
I think your observation/theory is spot on Jim. I was just wondering if the glow bar might be helping to break up that increased velocity and somehow "accidentally" doing good things. Probably would me minimal if any I guess.

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2013, 09:10:47 AM »
LOL - S&H green stamps. Man that took me back for a second there. We filled so many of those stupid books back in the day. I guess it gave us something to do while we listened to the partridge family on our 8 track in the basement with the fake dark wood paneling.

Good experiment guys. I will be waiting for those with bigger pizza brains than mine to tell me the optimum set-up. Dine and dash baby.

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2013, 10:23:16 AM »
Interesting responses as to why there is more charring. My first thought was it's because the distance between the stones is getting smaller. As that shrinks you are getting more reflective top heat and a slightly different deflection of the convection current.

jb

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2013, 12:12:16 PM »
Just thinking out loud here...

Has anyone thought of getting the conical metal deflector piece ceramic coated in one of those coatings they use for exhaust manifolds, like Jet-Hot?

Same thing for the bottom tray...

http://www.jet-hot.com/

Cost is probably prohibitive, though.

We should rename this thread... Pimp my Blackstone!

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2013, 04:07:40 PM »
Red Kiosk: water squirts out with more force and further
  Yep, that's basically Bernoulli's principle (if you want to be fancy).  Although, when the heat flow gets constricted, like a balloon being squeezed, the flow seeks an easier path.  In this case the compressed flowing gas probably uses more of the slot toward the back and front to reach it's goal of hot air rising.

Red Kiosk: Is there a difference in sound when you raise the plate?
I didn't detect any sound difference.

JT: As we raise the steel plate/stone (increase the gap between the bottom of the plate and metal lip of the oven) we put the crust closer to the flame.   The heat is more concentrated as we get closer to the ceiling.
  I do think this a potentially complicated flow.  From a velocity perspective, the torch gets squeezed as it flows between the turntable and the heat shield therefore the speed of flow increases (and some hot gas diverts to other available slot space as above).  After making it through the gap, the hot gas reaches an expansion chamber and slooooows down.  After that, I get confused.

Is the heat squeezed mostly to the back (b/c of air drawn in for burning and confluence with the rising flame kind of like a prophylactic backfire gets drawn in and upward by the forest fire).  If "squeezing to the back" of the Blackstone Oven were to happen, the hot air mixing near the topstone would be less likely to shoot over to the left side.  It all sounds good, and now that I checked, I do see some evidence in the photos that the rim char on test pizza skins extends more toward the back as the platter height increases.  (But you'll have to trust me on this b/c of size limitations in the posted photos.)

I can make up a story that the mixing near the top stone flows toward the front panel, backs up b/c the front lip is lower than the stone, and the backpressure causes it to billow down toward the skin on the stone.  Hopefully you're rolling your eyes at this point, b/c I certainly am.

I don't like that glow bar, but I do like the way BS bakes out of the box.  My take on the glow bar is that it certainly impedes the heatflow to the cooking chamber.  Like Chau's first ChauFlector test, where he over-bent the deflector, backpressure likely caused the heat to back up and billow around the platter and over charring the rim -- maybe there is a billowing effect created by the glow bar which results in a uniform platter temperature.  Or maybe not - I haven't cut the glow bar yet.  If someone w/ a cut glow bar has noticed a bit less uniform heat on the stone, pls post.

One thing that I did observe when the platter was set low (1/8") was that the glow bar diverted flame to the backside of the heat shield.

I do think there may be merit to red kiosk's "scooped up" argument suggesting that more heat flows as the stone height increases.

In sum, I don't really know - which is why I asked for ideas.  If someone can "nail it", let's name the elevated platter principle after them.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 04:16:12 PM by Tampa »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2013, 04:18:22 PM »
Dave, during that very first test of the chauflector ( :-D),  I had the steel plate lifted about 1", had the deflector bent close to 90 degrees and had the flame on Max.  The crust was burnt within 45secs or so.   I will take pictures of the current deflector soon, I haven't forgotten.

Chau

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2013, 04:21:54 PM »
My "glow bar" has been cut and I have very even baking on my under crust. Sometimes I'm amazed  at how even it cooks, especially coming from a lump coal grill deck where I was lifting the pie all the time checking it. I'm pretty sure the 1/8" washers are helping a lot. Take care!

Jim

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2013, 04:27:11 PM »
Jim - thanks for sharing your even bake comment.  I agree with you that it is stunning how evenly the BS bakes.

Chau - I thought we were like minded on that first ChauFlector test.  What a great pie photo that was.

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2013, 04:48:57 PM »
Is the "Glowbar" the bar that the heat shield rests on?

Thanks,
jb

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2013, 05:46:21 PM »
Here's a few pics showing my "sawtooth" Chauflector and my "glow bar" removed. Take care!

Jim

Offline sledmaster

• I Love Pizza!
Thermal Imager?
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2013, 06:04:54 PM »
In our desire to better understand the heat distribution inside the BS oven and actual temperature variations on the stone has anyone access to a thermal imager? Many of us are using the simple IR (infra red) thermometers to take spot measurements of the stones and such, but there are now similar hand-held guns that graphically show the thermal image, or infra red heat map, of what you are pointing it at. They call them a "Visual Infra Red Thermometer". The one I've seen is a Fluke VT02, I assume there are others. I know firemen have had big ones for years, but these small ones are fairly new. This tool might be really handy in seeing a thermal map of the temperatures at the stone and inside the oven. Is there logic to this? Problem is I believe they retail for something like over $800, so we would have to find somebody that already has one…..anyone here in the heating or cooling industry that might have access to a thermal imaging device?
He said he loved her, he said it with feeling. To prove it to her, he took her snowmobiling.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2013, 06:18:20 PM »
jb - yes the Glowbar is what the heat shield rests (right side).  Cook a pie at night, you'll know it when you see it.

Jim - nice work on that Chauflector!  I'll hide behind the concept of a Rustic Chauflector.

sledmaster: thermal imaging device
It is a great idea.  Maybe someone has access.  I've been following thermal photography for years but last I checked, the devices went for $1k and up.

dave

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2013, 06:22:02 PM »
jb - yes the Glowbar is what the heat shield rests (right side).  Cook a pie at night, you'll know it when you see it.
dave

Thanks Dave. Now that I've seen redkiosk's picture, I have to go home and cut my glowbar. Even though it may not have that much effect, It's going to bug me if I don't.

jb

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2013, 06:38:25 PM »
Jim - nice work on that Chauflector!

I was thinking of scanning my template for the "sawtooth" Chaufelector and making a .pdf to post here on the forums. It could easily be printed out on 8.5" x 11" paper, cut out and traced to a piece of 20 ga. steel. If someone thinks it worth it, I'll do it, Just let me know. Take care!

Jim

pizzapan