Author Topic: Blackstone Mods and Adjustments  (Read 38338 times)

Offline bbqchuck

Re: Blackstone Mods and Adjustments
« Reply #260 on: September 11, 2013, 03:49:20 PM »
I'm posting this in this thread even though it's over in the Blackstone Pizza Oven thread, since this seems to be the repository for mods.

After my burn in for 20 mins, the ball thrust bearing grease had burned badly.  So, I figured I'd make a heat shield. 

The first one was 3" diameter which was an underestimate of the diameter required, so I used it right on top of the bearing, then made another the size of a CD disk which is close to 5".   So 2 heat shields.  ::)

P.S.  The more I think about it, the heat shield should just be as big as will fit in there without being a bother to disassemble.   If the grease burns again, I'm going to make a large diameter shield.

This seems to be helping a lot with the grease retention and preventing burning of the grease.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 03:51:51 PM by bbqchuck »

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #261 on: September 11, 2013, 03:50:42 PM »
Thanks Papa.  Great description.  Iíve had your pie and loved it.  Iím also a big fan of saving propane (although Iím plumbed to a 100 gal tank).  Less is more. Thanks also for stainlesssupply.com.  I ordered brushed, but it was 24 ga (probably same as you).  I got a little larger amount ($35ish for 24"x48") and shipping was $17 (whew) for a total a little over $50. Dave

The package arrived today and boy are these guys serious about stainless and packaging.  I didn't really look into the thickness of 24ga, but it is 0.024", which is pretty stout.  I was thinking I would be getting flashing-type thickness ... not.  That's fine, I've got plenty of uses for their fine product.  And "fine" is no exaggeration, the finish is flawless.  I was wrong about the $17 shipping too - that sheet was protected by a Panzer made out of cardboard then secured with a mile of nylon strapping.
dave

Offline Papageorgio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #262 on: September 11, 2013, 09:08:26 PM »
The package arrived today and boy are these guys serious about stainless and packaging.  I didn't really look into the thickness of 24ga, but it is 0.024", which is pretty stout.  I was thinking I would be getting flashing-type thickness ... not.  That's fine, I've got plenty of uses for their fine product.  And "fine" is no exaggeration, the finish is flawless.  I was wrong about the $17 shipping too - that sheet was protected by a Panzer made out of cardboard then secured with a mile of nylon strapping.
dave

The package was hands down the best I've ever seen. I wondered what cost more... the stainless or the package. The one side of the sheet was in excellent condition and then I realized there was a peel coat on the other. It was flawless!

The gauge is plenty strong. Mine is unaffected by the heat.

Cutting curves is tricky and bending is a challenge if you don't have a sheet metal brake. Can't wait to see what you come up with.
Don

Offline Papageorgio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #263 on: September 11, 2013, 09:40:12 PM »
It's not for speed it's for balance.  ;D

Or not.

Tell me you wouldn't like this!

Chimera, the two headed fire breathing monster. (Greek mythology)
120,000 BTU's of pizza scorching power. Yowzza!

« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 09:43:25 PM by Papageorgio »

Offline Papageorgio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #264 on: September 11, 2013, 10:57:51 PM »
The neighbors will smell the garlic cooking a mile away.

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #265 on: September 11, 2013, 11:06:52 PM »
I'm posting this in this thread even though it's over in the Blackstone Pizza Oven thread, since this seems to be the repository for mods.

After my burn in for 20 mins, the ball thrust bearing grease had burned badly.  So, I figured I'd make a heat shield. 

The first one was 3" diameter which was an underestimate of the diameter required, so I used it right on top of the bearing, then made another the size of a CD disk which is close to 5".   So 2 heat shields.  ::)

P.S.  The more I think about it, the heat shield should just be as big as will fit in there without being a bother to disassemble.   If the grease burns again, I'm going to make a large diameter shield.

This seems to be helping a lot with the grease retention and preventing burning of the grease.

I'm curious how much the bearing is heated by rad vs. conduction down the rod
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 02:02:17 AM by CDNpielover »

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #266 on: September 12, 2013, 08:20:57 AM »
Great pictures Papa.  "Godzilla" is real artistry, but my oven nirvana is "Garlic".
Dave

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #267 on: September 12, 2013, 06:04:37 PM »

With the double fision reactor or single?

Offline redox

« Reply #268 on: September 12, 2013, 06:11:38 PM »
With the double fision reactor or single?
You mean it's not the Mr. Fusion Home Energy Reactor that powers that bad boy?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #269 on: September 13, 2013, 12:56:37 AM »
You mean it's not the Mr. Fusion Home Energy Reactor that powers that bad boy?
The man is just asking how much the ball bearing is heated down the rod...a simple deduction depending, of course, on the amount of applied friction wouldn't you deduce?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #270 on: September 13, 2013, 01:39:19 AM »
It doesn't matter how big you make the heat shield if most of the heat is conducting down the metal rod.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
I donít like leaks or hard-turning dials
« Reply #271 on: September 17, 2013, 06:35:13 PM »
For those with a flaming dial (AKA: flashback), I did a little work to see whatís what. 

Already replaced the piping - By way of background, last month I replaced the thinwall tube that connects from the dial to the back of the grill where the gas line attaches.  That writeup and pictures are posted here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26507.msg273659.html#msg273659

Testing behind the valve - A few days ago, the wind was still and I detected a slight whiff of propane when cleaning under the Blackstone.  I donít like leaks, so I read up on gas valves and then took mine apart.  The first picture shows the dial removed from the Blackstone.  If you are wondering how much leakage is coming from your BS valve, just remove the dial and squirt some soapy water in there.  The next picture shows how much leakage my valve had (cover removed for clarity).  Note the bubbles just forward of the faceplate.  Hopefully you are noticing that there are not a lot of bubbles.  On a calm day, I could smell just a few bubbles.  (At this point if you don't see a lot of bubbles, don't smell any propane, and the dial turns freely, you don't need to do anything but enjoy pizza.)

If you are wondering how I got the stainless cover plate off, I did that with the pipe replacement above.  In short, I drilled out the rivets along the sides with a ľĒ drill and replaced them with SS sheet metal screws.  Refer to the earlier link for details and photos.

Inside the gas valve - The next picture shows what the gas valve looks like removed from the Blackstone.  Notice that I marked the alignment of various pieces with a black Sharpee to ensure everything goes back together correctly.  The upper-right part of this picture shows the backside of the faceplate with one screw sticking through.  The spring below goes between that center axle and the tapered brass insert.  It isnít really that complicated, but when you remove the two screws on the faceplate, it also releases the valve body and the spring could fly off if you arenít paying attention.  (Hint: pay attention)

Lapping a valve - The next picture shows a close-up of the gas valve put into a vise.  I used a piece of flexible tubing to stuff into the tapered brass insert.  The brown ooze is rubbing compound (used for buffing out a car) although you could use polishing compound, maybe even an aggressive boat wax.  The materials involved in the valve are aluminum and brass, so carbide incrusted with diamonds is not necessary.

Next I put the tubing between my palms and rubbed my hands back and forth for a few minutes.  This action grinds the tapered brass into the aluminum valve body and seats the valve.  (If you are not familiar with lapping a valve search google images or youtube.)  After a few minutes, I washed the two pieces in soapy water and blew everything clean with compressed air.  I used a dab of grease between the brass and aluminum to keep things turning smoothly.  Be careful with the grease.  The holes in the tapered brass and the brass jet (last photo) are very small and you donít want a wad of grease gumming up the gas flow.

I reassembled the valve and put the Blackstone back together.  Initially I had a few bubbles, but those quickly subsided as I moved the valve back and forth to seat it in with the spring. The valve, now lapped and greased, operates much more smoothly than before.

Update:  Lapping didnít last.  A few days later I smelled gas again, soaped the valve and saw bubbles.  Iím at a bit of a loss for a durable fix.  The best advice I can offer is to get a replacement valve from Blackstone, ideally within your 1 year warranty.

Fortunately it is easy to turn off the gas when not in use.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #272 on: September 17, 2013, 09:11:29 PM »

CDN, I measured the temperature of the shaft above the bearing (420F) and just below the bearing (210F).  That seems like a pretty sizeable gradient, but I think the numbers are accurate.
Dave

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #273 on: September 18, 2013, 08:52:42 AM »
Dave, nice photos and write up.  I will have to check for leaks this weekend and see if I need to follow your lead. 

Offline communist

« Reply #274 on: September 18, 2013, 09:00:22 AM »
Very nice work Dave! :D   Mark

Offline italdream

« Reply #275 on: September 20, 2013, 01:48:10 PM »
Or not.

Tell me you wouldn't like this!

Chimera, the two headed fire breathing monster. (Greek mythology)
120,000 BTU's of pizza scorching power. Yowzza!
I would buy that chimera in a heart beat.

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #276 on: September 20, 2013, 08:43:16 PM »
Regarding the heat shield for the bearing for radiant vs conductive heating, all I can go by is that the greas is no longer burnt since I put the heat shields on.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #277 on: September 21, 2013, 08:03:53 AM »
I would buy that chimera in a heart beat.
Then you will want two of Chuck's heat shields plus a helmet and a cup. :)  If money is tight, skip the helmet.

Offline communist

« Reply #278 on: September 22, 2013, 11:19:47 AM »
Dave, once again, good work.  There is obviously a manufacturing defect with potential catastrophic consequences with the Blackstone.  Should we notify consumer safety authorities?  We are passionate about pizza, but should be level headed and cautious when it comes to safety.   Mark

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #279 on: September 22, 2013, 03:35:31 PM »
Dave, once again, good work.  There is obviously a manufacturing defect with potential catastrophic consequences with the Blackstone.  Should we notify consumer safety authorities?  We are passionate about pizza, but should be level headed and cautious when it comes to safety.   Mark
Thanks Mark.  I think it depends on how widespread and how severe the leakage is.  I know we have a handful of owners with flashback - and that is a real concern.  Since I have never had, nor seen, a system with flashback it is hard to determine the cause.  Perhaps one of our members has, and can share the true cause.  I suspect the cause, in some (many/all?) flashback cases, might be the rubber O-ring between the valve and the thin-wall tubing.  Otherwise we do have some badly-defective valves.

In my case, for an outdoor grill (i.e. not operating in an enclosed space), I doubt that there are enough bubbles to ignite - without sticking a match directly into the valve enclosure.

Edit: I just checked Bobino's oven for bubbles -- he has zero leaks.  It is kind of funny really as his oven arrived in showroom condition while I had almost every issue except demon flashback (must be payback from childhood).  In a few weeks, I will be visiting another Blackstone friend and I know he was bad as a kid.  In the meantime, if others have information/ideas to add, chime in.
Dave
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 05:00:56 PM by Tampa »