Author Topic: Blackstone Mods and Adjustments  (Read 42155 times)

Offline Papageorgio

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Blackstone Mods and Adjustments
« Reply #280 on: September 23, 2013, 01:06:20 AM »
Sorry to hear you're having problems.

Greases are compounded to lubricate.  Valve "Sealants" are compounded to seal, lubricate, and to resist the specific product flowing through the valve.  If you just put in "grease" it probably won't work.

Here is a description of valve 'sealant' used for gas and may work for you....  "Specially processed particles of PTFE will seal scratches to sealing surfaces up to 0.030" Will not harden or plug off conventional giant buttonhead sealant injection fittings. #5050 is ideal for use in natural gas, water, oil, and related by-products. Use in ball, gate and plug valves, orifice fittings, valve stems and seat seals with minor to severe leakage problems.

Take a read and see what you think...

http://www.sealweld.com/product.php?c=107

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #281 on: September 23, 2013, 08:34:25 AM »
Here is a description of valve 'sealant' used for gas and may work for you....  "Specially processed particles of PTFE will seal scratches to sealing surfaces up to 0.030" Will not harden or plug off conventional giant buttonhead sealant injection fittings. #5050 is ideal for use in natural gas, water, oil, and related by-products. Use in ball, gate and plug valves, orifice fittings, valve stems and seat seals with minor to severe leakage problems.

Take a read and see what you think...

http://www.sealweld.com/product.php?c=107
Thanks Papa.  I think I'm not sure.  The valve in question is commonly called a "gas cock".  Although the gas cock does have a tapered plug, most of the images for "tapered plug valve" suggest a much larger valve.  I looked into a specific lube a week or two ago but decided against it b/c, like Sealweld, the quantity is enough to supply the factory.  If there was a local source for a small dab, I'd jump on it.  I should go back and search again, b/c I kind or remember a small $20ish tube on the interweb.

If I'm reading the spec sheet correctly, I'm having a hard time believing that this product seals thirty thousandths (a common spark plug gap).  My valve leak was a few bubbles to begin with, so it the factory that made the valve to begin with used something that sealed .030" I wouldn't be typing.
Dave

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
Foil Shield
« Reply #282 on: September 24, 2013, 07:16:18 PM »
I would like to do a stainless steel faceplate like Papagiorgio showed in this post. In the meantime I tried out a really simple mod which was to lift the top off of the Blackstone oven and hang a couple of sheets of aluminum foil so that they extend down over about half of the opening of the oven.  When preheating I kind of tucked them up close to oven opening to hold more of the heat in on preheat.  This resulting in my oven warming up much faster (maybe close to twice as fast) and getting quite a bit hotter than it usually does.  When I was ready to bake I just folded the foil up and out of the way.  Sorry, I didn't take a pic but I will add one when I have a moment.  It's not too impressive. Just some foil hanging down over the top part of the mouth of the oven. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 07:20:25 PM by tinroofrusted »

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #283 on: September 26, 2013, 12:47:13 AM »
I thought I was a lucky one regarding the leaking gas.  Last night I smelled the strong odor of gas while cooking a pie. I suspect my valve is leaking. 

This product is a typical Chinese consumer product, likely sourced without on-site quality control representation by the Blackstone company.   It shows.  When I was the quality manager of a consumer product company,  our executive leadership decided to source one of our product lines from China without on-site quality representation.   The result was predictable.  Those products cost them the business in the end. 

Offline Papageorgio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #284 on: September 26, 2013, 09:39:31 PM »
I thought I was a lucky one regarding the leaking gas.  Last night I smelled the strong odor of gas while cooking a pie. I suspect my valve is leaking. 

This product is a typical Chinese consumer product, likely sourced without on-site quality control representation by the Blackstone company.   It shows.  When I was the quality manager of a consumer product company,  our executive leadership decided to source one of our product lines from China without on-site quality representation.   The result was predictable.  Those products cost them the business in the end.

Reminds me of the saying..."Quality doesn't cost...it pays". "Especially when it comes to gas valves." (I added the last part.)  :)

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #285 on: September 26, 2013, 11:50:36 PM »
Awhile back I posted about an old rotisserie motor I found in the basement that had an RPM of 5 1/4 compared to the BS of I think 2 1/4. Well I found another and this was the kit it came from. So good news is I have another back up, bad news is, when I bought these, it was at a True Value store that was selling ALL inventory in a Going Out Of Business sale and I loaded up on a bunch of stuff including a few of these and other BBQ things. If I remember the rotisserie sets were about 2 bucks apiece. It was so long ago (about 25 years) the 1-800 number was changed to a Walmart Gift Card Scam line as I just called it for the hell of it :-D :-D  It's made by Jackes-Evans which still makes stuff but I don't think they make this anymore, although I've seen some old ones pop up on Ebay along with other rotisserie motors in the 20-30 dollar range. So that's the story behind the what you could call 'vintage rotisserie' motor. Glad I stocked up now, the wife has wanted to toss them out countless times and I always said....."never know when that junk might come in handy!!" Got a basement FULL of handy :-D :-D

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #286 on: September 27, 2013, 12:32:49 AM »
Awhile back I posted about an old rotisserie motor I found in the basement that had an RPM of 5 1/4 compared to the BS of I think 2 1/4. Well I found another and this was the kit it came from. So good news is I have another back up, bad news is, when I bought these, it was at a True Value store that was selling ALL inventory in a Going Out Of Business sale and I loaded up on a bunch of stuff including a few of these and other BBQ things. If I remember the rotisserie sets were about 2 bucks apiece. It was so long ago (about 25 years) the 1-800 number was changed to a Walmart Gift Card Scam line as I just called it for the hell of it :-D :-D  It's made by Jackes-Evans which still makes stuff but I don't think they make this anymore, although I've seen some old ones pop up on Ebay along with other rotisserie motors in the 20-30 dollar range. So that's the story behind the what you could call 'vintage rotisserie' motor. Glad I stocked up now, the wife has wanted to toss them out countless times and I always said....."never know when that junk might come in handy!!" Got a basement FULL of handy :-D :-D

jon

You are a man after my own heart Jon. I have stuff I bought 25 years ago that I just know is going to come in handy some day.  And maybe it will.  The other side of me just wants to throw everything out. I'm a bit But the "keep it" side seems to win out most of the time. 

Offline kerrymarcy

• I can't and won't stop eating pizza!
« Reply #287 on: September 27, 2013, 12:40:38 AM »
For new users, here is a webpage that lists various mods and tips for the Blackstone Pizza Oven.  Anyone is free to edit it as they see fit.http://www.newportmediation.com/pizzawiki/index.php?title=Talk:Main_Page

Thanks barryvabeac for the link, but when I go to open them, they web pages cannot be found.  Could you please check it out on your computer.  Thanks in advance.

Kery

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #288 on: September 27, 2013, 02:01:02 AM »
Thanks barryvabeac for the link, but when I go to open them, they web pages cannot be found.  Could you please check it out on your computer.  Thanks in advance.

Kery

We changed the URL a bit: The Blackstone mods can be found here:

http://www.pizzawiki.info/index.php?title=Blackstone_Pizza_Oven

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #289 on: October 16, 2013, 04:26:49 PM »
The burner flame caused the outside of the oven to get red-hot on a friend's oven.  It was the usual "glow bar" scenario except more flame than usual found it's way around the heat shield and toward the side wall of the oven.

The picture below shows the results after baking about 5 pizzas in one night.  As you can see, We're going to need some flat-black grill paint for a touch up.

Here's what I did to reduce the flame impingement.  The picture below shows the burner with the center bolt removed.  Note that if you attempt this fix, there is a locking nut on the underside of the supporting plate that must be removed first.  After that, the center bolt can be removed (but it is threaded into the burner body).  I cleaned up the burrs in the fluted cap and put the bolt back in.

Next I put a wedge between the bottom of the burner and the support plate.  Sorry, I don't have a picture, but I used a little strap metal, the type with a pre-drilled hole.  On the right side I doubled the metal strap causing the burner to sit a little canted toward the center of the platter and away from the glow bar.

I cut the glow bar away.  (See instructions in earlier posts.)

Finally, I marked the heat shield in the area that is supposed to protect the outside surface from flame.  I used a hammer to pound the heat shield metal toward the side wall about 1/2" so that it captured up more of the flame from the now-canted burner.

In the end, the red-hot sidewall was gone.  The sidewall still got hot (~400F if I remember correctly), but nothing like the glowing red surface that blistered the paint.  There may be a better fix, but in the short time available working with my buddies tools, it was good enough.

Some may be wondering if canting the burner toward the center of the platter increased the center-stone heat.  Not that I detected with the IR gun or by the coloration of the bottom of the pizza.  But remember, I didn't put a big wedge in there, just a smidge.

Dave

Offline milt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #290 on: October 16, 2013, 07:32:56 PM »
I don't know if this issue has occurred or has been discussed, when setting the bearing on the mounting plate before lowering the turntable in position the bearing has a lip on one side, apparently that lip needs to be pointed up. When I first put the oven together I had the lip down. With a pie on it the turntable would bind and stop turning at times. Made a mess of the pie ::) after the fix it works fine.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 08:53:59 AM by milt »

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #291 on: October 17, 2013, 05:20:08 PM »
I don't know if this issue has occurred or has been discussed, when setting the bearing on the mounting plate before lowering the turntable in position the bearing has a lip on one side, apparently that lip needs to be pointed down. When I first put the oven together I had the lip up. With a pie on it the turntable would bind and stop turning at times. Made a mess of the pie ::) after the fix it works fine.
I'm not aware of this one, but I think you are referring to the bearing mod, right?  If so, someone with that mod might comment.
Dave

Offline milt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #292 on: October 17, 2013, 10:02:13 PM »
I'm not aware of this one, but I think you are referring to the bearing mod, right?  If so, someone with that mod might comment.
Dave

This was the bearing that came with the oven.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #293 on: October 17, 2013, 10:27:43 PM »
This was the bearing that came with the oven.
Are you referring to the collar with the allen-head set screw?  If so, the only time I've ever had a bind problem was when the set screw wasn't tight enough (at temperature) and the platter slipped down onto the stainless shelf.
Dave

Offline milt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #294 on: October 17, 2013, 10:40:34 PM »
They supplied a bearing that the collar rests on, that bearing has a little offset on one side. the first time I put it together that offset facing down, that was when the turntable would bind and stop turning. I flipped the bearing around and the turntable now works fine.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 08:51:51 AM by milt »

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #295 on: October 17, 2013, 11:02:02 PM »
They supplied a bearing that the collar rests on, that bearing has a little offset on one side. the first time I put it together that offset was riding on the collar, that was when the turntable would bind and stop turning. I flipped the bearing around and the turntable now works fine.
really?  can you share a picture?  that's new to me.
dave

Offline milt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #296 on: October 17, 2013, 11:05:27 PM »
Will try to get some tomorrow.

Offline milt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #297 on: October 18, 2013, 08:46:26 AM »
I didn't do a good job of explaining about the bearing problem, hope the pictures help. The collar needs to ride on the offset of the bearing.

Offline communist

« Reply #298 on: October 18, 2013, 08:52:25 AM »
Wow, a supplied bearing included with the Blackstone.  Never saw that.  On the lower metal shelf there is an installed bearing.  After reading good information supplied on this thread, I changed the position of my collar to ride on this lower bearing, and I believe no other bearing is needed.  Mark

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #299 on: October 18, 2013, 09:04:40 AM »
I just received my replacement body last night. I will check the box and make sure I didn't miss the bearing.

pizzapan