Author Topic: Blackstone Mods and Adjustments  (Read 32980 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Blackstone Mods and Adjustments
« Reply #320 on: December 24, 2013, 09:58:49 AM »
I have my stock bushing placed down below riding on the stock bearing...this needs oiling/greasing?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #321 on: December 24, 2013, 02:04:48 PM »
I have my stock bushing placed down below riding on the stock bearing...this needs oiling/greasing?
Rodney - you're messing with me, right?  Since there is no relative motion between the adjustable collar (with a set screw) and the inner ring of the ball bearing, no lubrication is needed there.  I think Kaz was commenting about lubrication for the ball race if/when it squeaks.
Dave

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #322 on: December 24, 2013, 02:50:51 PM »
Rodney - you're messing with me, right?  Since there is no relative motion between the adjustable collar (with a set screw) and the inner ring of the ball bearing, no lubrication is needed there.  I think Kaz was commenting about lubrication for the ball race if/when it squeaks.
Dave
Why the extra bearing...I think the stock set-up is plenty stable and maintenance free if the collar is moved down to the bearing.  :chef:
Rodney

Offline halfprice

« Reply #323 on: December 24, 2013, 05:26:54 PM »
I don't know if the bearing is needed or not but I bought one anyways.  For less than $7 it can't hurt.  I looked at several stores to find high temp lube but the highest I found was 300*  I had some TSI 301 lube oil I use on the spool bearing for long range fishing reels. It makes the reels spin forever.   It has a 450* temp rating.  This oil penetrates into the metal of the bearing and doesn't wear off. 

I don't think this bearings need much lube because of the small amount of weight on it.  I'll be firing up my BS for the first time this weekend.  I hoping for a successful dinner!!!

Jerry

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #324 on: December 25, 2013, 08:09:06 AM »
Why the extra bearing...I think the stock set-up is plenty stable and maintenance free if the collar is moved down to the bearing.  :chef:
Rodney
I don't use the extra bearing either, but those that installed one are pleased.  IMO, it makes more sense when one sticks to the stock lightweight rotisserie motor.
Dave

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #325 on: December 25, 2013, 08:27:19 AM »
I purchased the extra bearing before I finished the 160+ page post on the BS - I agree, if you move the collar down you really don't need the additional bearing. I installed mine since I had it already, seems to work great - I also found this lube - it was advertised to be food safe and handle 600 degrees plus.

BTW, I recommend you upgrade the collar set screw, mine snapped and it was no fun cutting off the collar since it has limited access when installed below the top shelf....

Offline halfprice

« Reply #326 on: December 25, 2013, 11:31:44 AM »
I purchased the extra bearing before I finished the 160+ page post on the BS - I agree, if you move the collar down you really don't need the additional bearing. I installed mine since I had it already, seems to work great - I also found this lube - it was advertised to be food safe and handle 600 degrees plus.

BTW, I recommend you upgrade the collar set screw, mine snapped and it was no fun cutting off the collar since it has limited access when installed below the top shelf....

I saw your original post and looked for the lube you posted but couldn't find it.  I also saw the set screw mod you did.  Thank you for that.   I went to Home Depot and got the same set screws you used.  Definately a most do in my opinion.  Much easier to use than the small set screw provited.

Jerry

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #327 on: December 25, 2013, 01:59:25 PM »
I picked up the super lube at Amazon, I plan to use it on my slicer as well -- glad I could help, have a great Xmas!

http://www.amazon.com/Synthetic-Grease-Syncolon-Purpose-Lubricant/dp/B000XBH9HI/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Offline halfprice

« Reply #328 on: December 25, 2013, 07:02:29 PM »
I looked for it on amazon but couldnt find it. Thanks fir the link.

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #329 on: December 25, 2013, 09:04:20 PM »
I never bought the extra bushing, just used the collar on the bearing in the BS,  but went looking for high temp food safe grease a while ago, and the best I could find was Ultra Lube H1  the flash point is listed at 583F  http://www.ultralube.com/Products/H1FoodGradeProducts/H1FoodGradeChainCableLube

Amazon carries it in a spray bottle

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041S02T6/?tag=pizzamaking-20

and also in a grease cartridge
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0041S1OUM/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Offline caymus

« Reply #330 on: December 27, 2013, 08:17:08 AM »
Just to summarize

•   The bearing in the photo is intended to be pressed into the lower (bottom) shelf and you won't be able to see it unless you crane your neck or get under the oven and look up.
  •   Communist chose a novel method of mounting the collar w/ the set screw between the upper and lower shelves.  In his implementation, the collar rests on the bearing on the lower shelf.  The good news about that is that there is less rotating friction because the bearings w/ collars are more efficient than bushings w/ collars.  The bad news is that one needs to remove the collar to remove the platter.

Pls correct if I misunderstood or misstated the situation.

Dave

Just to confirm.  My oven came with the bearing installed on the lower shelf.  Is that where I want it?  This is a picture of it upside/down (of course now the bottom shelf is the top shelf in the picture)

Thanks

Offline communist

« Reply #331 on: December 27, 2013, 08:44:37 AM »
yes, that is correct

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #332 on: December 27, 2013, 09:05:46 AM »

Just to confirm.  My oven came with the bearing installed on the lower shelf.  Is that where I want it?  This is a picture of it upside/down (of course now the bottom shelf is the top shelf in the picture)

Thanks
I don't think there is a choice....that thing is welded in there if I'm not mistaken. Now all you need do is flip grill back over and put BUSHING(the thing with the set screw)right on top of that BEARING , hold your platter up so it's not rubbing on the frame and then tighten the set screw and you're done screwing around.

It's a grill not a rocket ship....some people are waaay over thinking this and causing confusion, imho.

Offline communist

« Reply #333 on: December 27, 2013, 01:33:19 PM »

It's a grill not a rocket ship....some people are waaay over thinking this and causing confusion, imho.
The confusion results from most people not seeing the bearing on the lower steel shelf, and difficulty adjusting the bushing while it and your hand is between the two steel shelves.  Initially, it looks pretty simple to adjust, that is the bushing rides on the top shelf.  I did this for a few months.  The Blackstone people said that was OK.  Members here ordered bearings for the top shelf, but someone before me discovered that a bearing already installed on the lower shelf.  No real need for an extra bushing, but whatever you want to do for a good pie is allright with me.  Mark

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #334 on: December 27, 2013, 01:44:28 PM »
All the information is right here...that's how I found out to simply put the BUSHING right on top of the lower BEARING(once I weeded out/ through all this other "info").  ;)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #335 on: January 10, 2014, 04:53:56 PM »
    Great looking pies Norma.  Here's what I *think* I'm doing that contributes to the type of leoparding/blistering/warts(!) that I'm getting.  I'm sure there are plenty of other ways to get there, but for me:

• longish fermentation times - 30-50 hours
    • fermentation at room temp, not in fridge
    • if anything, I'm often slightly on the side of underfermented rather than over
    • sourdough - not yeast as leaven
    • careful handling of the cornicione when stretching
    • balls are risen in trays, not in containers.  I think this affects the surface of the cornicione, the sides of the ball are not rising against plastic
    • pie size is 10" to 11", this makes a difference because the cornicione gets more time in the hot zone than a larger pie, all else being equal
    • very intense heat when baking:
      • turn the BS up to MAX for the entire bake - I bring the flame back down between bakes and the stone temp comes down to mid 700s
      • using a deflector
      • and if there's any "secret" to what I do, it might be this: during the bake I continually shuffle the pie so that the edge is always coming through under the deflector - I'm repeatedly shuffling the pie to the back-right of the stone, the pie never sits still or gets a chance to come around the front to the cold side - diagram below
    Hope some of this helps.  These are definitely not rules that I follow, just a few things I'm aware of that are usually part of what I do.

Thanks Dylan.  Your suggestions are very helpful.  I've tried much of what is on you list but the big standout (for me) is in the room-temp rise - never done that.  I am a bit of a master of the DylanShuffletm. It helps to have a rotisserie that spins the stone Left-to-Right as viewed from the front opening so it is easy to see when the rim in near the flame.

If you develop any another great moves or artistic warts, we'll be watching.
Dave

OK, super easy mod to change rotation.
BS motor is a simple DC unit, that is why it comes with a DC converter. All you need to do is change the polarity to the motor. If you want to get fancy you can open the motor case up and switch the 2 lead in wires...you'll have to use a soldering gun.

Bob's easy peazzy, down an dirty hack is to simply cut the cord on the AC adapter....you will see a black wire and a red wire....switch these, red to black, black to red.  A couple mini wire nuts and a wrap in electrical tape and you're in binnezz.  8)

Bob

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #336 on: January 10, 2014, 06:00:43 PM »
OK, super easy mod to change rotation.
BS motor is a simple DC unit, that is why it comes with a DC converter. All you need to do is change the polarity to the motor. If you want to get fancy you can open the motor case up and switch the 2 lead in wires...you'll have to use a soldering gun.

Bob's easy peazzy, down an dirty hack is to simply cut the cord on the AC adapter....you will see a black wire and a red wire....switch these, red to black, black to red.  A couple mini wire nuts and a wrap in electrical tape and you're in binnezz.  8)

Bob

Good add Bob.  I was so focused on getting to a reliable HD rotisserie turning CCW, that I didn't think to mod the stock DC unit.  For those motivated, here is an "instructable" using a rocker switch to select either rotation.
http://www.instructables.com/id/HOW-TO%3A-Wire-a-DPDT-rocker-switch-for-reversing-po/
Dave

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #337 on: January 10, 2014, 06:39:12 PM »
Nice trick Bob!!

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Pictures of Collar on Lower Bearing
« Reply #338 on: February 24, 2014, 09:52:47 AM »
If you decide to be adventurous and put the shaft collar on the lower bearing, the following pictures may make installation a little easier.

The first picture shows a piece of the styrofoam broken from the stone packaging in the Blackstone shipping box used as a height adjustment.

The second picture shows the collar on the lower bearing.

The third pictures shows that if you put a light on the tray, there is a view through the thin wall tubing hole.

Dave

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #339 on: February 24, 2014, 10:09:14 AM »
As always...very nice Dave.  :chef:
Thanks!

Bob