Author Topic: Blackstone Mods and Adjustments  (Read 42014 times)

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Blackstone Mods and Adjustments
« Reply #340 on: February 24, 2014, 11:20:18 AM »
I purchased a bearing and I put the bearing and the collar on the lower shelf above the Black stone bearing. If I put very little pressure on my stone it will stop.
Say if  when I slide a peel under the pizza it will stop and start up once I get the peel out.

Not sure if I should be concerned or just let it go. I would think I could put a little pressure on the stone and it wouldn't stop.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #341 on: February 24, 2014, 11:25:18 AM »
I purchased a bearing and I put the bearing and the collar on the lower shelf above the Black stone bearing. If I put very little pressure on my stone it will stop.
Say if  when I slide a peel under the pizza it will stop and start up once I get the peel out.

Not sure if I should be concerned or just let it go. I would think I could put a little pressure on the stone and it wouldn't stop.
j, mine does the same thing. Think it's just from a little bit of "slop" or play in the cheap motor mechanism. I think we'll be fine as long as you don't try to purposely "hold" the platter until you hear those cheap gears snap and grind.  ;D

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #342 on: February 24, 2014, 11:31:27 AM »
j, mine does the same thing. Think it's just from a little bit of "slop" or play in the cheap motor mechanism. I think we'll be fine as long as you don't try to purposely "hold" the platter until you hear those cheap gears snap and grind.  ;D

Bob

Thanks. It's been doing it for awhile. I figured maybe best not mess with it since it works when pizza is just sitting on it.

I do have a D.O. A. unit at home. Platter shaft is so tight to get through both holes. I can lift the unit up when trying to take the platter out.

Any ides if that is fixable? I would love to have a spare base unit.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #343 on: February 24, 2014, 11:58:17 AM »
Thanks. It's been doing it for awhile. I figured maybe best not mess with it since it works when pizza is just sitting on it.

I do have a D.O. A. unit at home. Platter shaft is so tight to get through both holes. I can lift the unit up when trying to take the platter out.

Any ides if that is fixable? I would love to have a spare base unit.
Not sure j...I just went out and looked at mine and as you know it's kinda hard to see anything inside there. I can see welds on the top bushing and can only assume the bottom one is fastened in the same manner. If your "bind" is coming from a misalignment of these two bushings I'm surprised you are even able to get platter shaft down through these to mate up with the motor.

You could maybe get away with simply drilling out the top bushing with a very large drill bit to open up a lil slack. Other wise I'm afraid you are looking at some metal fabing...cutting loose the welds on one of the bushings to bring into alignment and then re tack welding it at it's new location. Sorry.  :(

Bob

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #344 on: February 24, 2014, 12:03:12 PM »
Not sure j...I just went out and looked at mine and as you know it's kinda hard to see anything inside there. I can see welds on the top bushing and can only assume the bottom one is fastened in the same manner. If your "bind" is coming from a misalignment of these two bushings I'm surprised you are even able to get platter shaft down through these to mate up with the motor.

You could maybe get away with simply drilling out the top bushing with a very large drill bit to open up a lil slack. Other wise I'm afraid you are looking at some metal fabing...cutting loose the welds on one of the bushings to bring into alignment and then re tack welding it at it's new location. Sorry.  :(

Bob

Thanks for input.

I have s few friends in sheet metal field. They fabricate and build stuff. Sounds like something I may have one of them see if they can do something.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #345 on: February 24, 2014, 03:46:25 PM »

Bob

Good advice Bob and thanks for the kind comments.  Another trick that might work is to use a large round file and work it carefully at an angle to take the edge off both sides of the upper bushing.  Or maybe you have a dremel with a grind wheel that fits inside the bushing.  Either method should help significantly since you are apparently able to insert the shaft.

Pls don't misunderstand, I'm not recommending that you fix factory problems, unless you want to.  Most owners should request Blackstone to make it right. 

Dave

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #346 on: February 24, 2014, 07:37:21 PM »
Good advice Bob and thanks for the kind comments.  Another trick that might work is to use a large round file and work it carefully at an angle to take the edge off both sides of the upper bushing.  Or maybe you have a dremel with a grind wheel that fits inside the bushing.  Either method should help significantly since you are apparently able to insert the shaft.

Pls don't misunderstand, I'm not recommending that you fix factory problems, unless you want to.  Most owners should request Blackstone to make it right. 

Dave
Thanks for the info Dave. I did get a replacement base from B.S.  They told me to throw away the D.O.A. unit. 

I have to take some time some weekend to look at it.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #347 on: February 24, 2014, 08:24:19 PM »

Dave

Bob
He's jus trying to make an extra unit( :o}...spare parts work into sum'in Golden.  ;)

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #348 on: March 01, 2014, 11:55:26 PM »
I got my original oven working today. I found a post but I can't remember who posted the info about the two holes not lining up.

I put the shaft down through the first hold and pulled the platter towards me. Then it was to got through the upper and lower hole with no issues. Now it spins free.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #349 on: March 02, 2014, 08:10:16 AM »
I got my original oven working today. I found a post but I can't remember who posted the info about the two holes not lining up.

I put the shaft down through the first hold and pulled the platter towards me. Then it was to got through the upper and lower hole with no issues. Now it spins free.
Good Score jsperk.  I thought that trick might work.  Time for pizza!

BTW, I don't remember who had that idea either.

Dave

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #350 on: March 02, 2014, 09:36:38 AM »
Good Score jsperk.  I thought that trick might work.  Time for pizza!

BTW, I don't remember who had that idea either.

Dave
This one will be put away for future use since I only need one. Once the first one goes then I'll pull it out.
Hard to remember who recommended what, so many pages of reading it's easy to lose track. I was trying to find who recommended it to thank them but now I can't even find the post I found on that info.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #351 on: March 02, 2014, 09:38:31 AM »

Good deal. That's using your noodle.  8)

Bob

Offline Smokeat

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #352 on: March 19, 2014, 04:52:29 PM »
Question for Tampa and bobino, I am looking to pop for the One Grill rotisserie motor you recommended earlier in this thread. In the questions(on Amazon) there seems to be conflicting info about direction of rotation. A couple of people say the direction reverses each time the unit is switched on and off.

It has been a while since first recommended, so is the rotation always CCW, and are you guys still happy with all aspects of it's use on the BS. It totally makes sense to me to keep the relatively low power DC motor as a back-up, or for use when AC power is inconvenient or unavailable.

Thanks, Dave

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #353 on: March 19, 2014, 06:10:44 PM »
Question for Tampa and bobino, I am looking to pop for the One Grill rotisserie motor you recommended earlier in this thread. In the questions(on Amazon) there seems to be conflicting info about direction of rotation. A couple of people say the direction reverses each time the unit is switched on and off.

It has been a while since first recommended, so is the rotation always CCW, and are you guys still happy with all aspects of it's use on the BS. It totally makes sense to me to keep the relatively low power DC motor as a back-up, or for use when AC power is inconvenient or unavailable.

Thanks, Dave
I've bought four of them and every one travels CCW (AKA - THE RIGHT WAY, when viewed from the front).  I read those Amazon comments about "reverses" and have not been able to replicate it.  I've never seen the motor reverse during use, and the few times that I've stalled the motor by hand, it doesn't seem to reverse.  Maybe I'm a sissy, but I don't usually hold a 40# motor until I hear the click, click, click of sheared gears.  Hope that helps.
Dave

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #354 on: March 19, 2014, 10:23:09 PM »
I've never seen the motor reverse during use, and the few times that I've stalled the motor by hand, it doesn't seem to reverse. 
Dave
Smokeat is talking about....." A couple of people say the direction reverses each time the unit is switched on and off. "
FWIW...the motor on my BBQ grill does reverse automatically when you toggle on/off switch.

CB

Offline Smokeat

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #355 on: March 20, 2014, 12:04:01 AM »
Thanks for the timely reply, Dave & Bob. I will pull the trigger now with confidence.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #356 on: March 20, 2014, 08:44:59 AM »
Smokeat is talking about....." A couple of people say the direction reverses each time the unit is switched on and off. "
FWIW...the motor on my BBQ grill does reverse automatically when you toggle on/off switch.

CB
I've never seen the OneGrill motor that I recommended (& bought 4x) reverse - not under stall load, not when powered up.  So under normal use, it just works, IMO.

Maybe I'm missing something.  C.Bob are you saying that by switching the motor on/off/on quickly the rotational direction might reverse?  If so, I'll have to ask Bobino to try it and report back as my loaner oven is out w/ the OneGrill motor.  Even if on/off/on does the trick, the direction is controllable which would be fine.

Dave

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
« Reply #357 on: March 20, 2014, 09:38:10 AM »

I did the on/off/on test on the OneGrill motor 20 times and at no time did the rotational direction change.

Bob

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #358 on: March 20, 2014, 10:01:04 AM »

Maybe I'm missing something.  C.Bob are you saying that by switching the motor on/off/on quickly the rotational direction might reverse?  If so, I'll have to ask Bobino to try it and report back as my loaner oven is out w/ the OneGrill motor.  Even if on/off/on does the trick, the direction is controllable which would be fine.

Dave
On my 5yr. old bbq grill direction changes every time you turn the switch off. It is not a Onegrill motor. That's all I was saying.

CB

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #359 on: March 20, 2014, 01:14:44 PM »
Well not any more c.bob,  they fixed it. :chef: