Author Topic: Blackstone Mods and Adjustments  (Read 35125 times)

Offline halfprice

Re: Blackstone Mods and Adjustments
« Reply #400 on: May 03, 2014, 10:58:23 AM »
I know there isn't a lot if room to work in that area but I would get that screw out and replace it with a new heavy duty screw.  It looks like you may be able to get it out with vise grips or use an easy out

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #401 on: May 03, 2014, 01:44:15 PM »
I know there isn't a lot if room to work in that area but I would get that screw out and replace it with a new heavy duty screw.  It looks like you may be able to get it out with vise grips or use an easy out
A propane torch to the collar will warm and expand the screw hole a skosh, then try tapping on the Left side of the screw with a small screwdriver or punch using a hammer.  Usually that will loosen the screw.

Worst case just drill it out or hammer it off.  Even with a small hole, or shallow groove, nothing requires a perfect surface in that location.

Dave

Offline GJranch

« Reply #402 on: May 03, 2014, 03:47:08 PM »
Thanks for ideas. Will try tomorrow as I put the BS back together for pizza/movie night  :)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #403 on: May 09, 2014, 11:05:10 AM »
Here's a nice little article I just ran across on gas regulators and tanks.  http://gashosesandregulators.com/propaneregulatorfacts.html

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #404 on: May 09, 2014, 02:12:25 PM »
Here's a nice little article I just ran across on gas regulators and tanks.  http://gashosesandregulators.com/propaneregulatorfacts.html

Bob

Thanks Bob.  That is a good article.
Dave

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #405 on: May 10, 2014, 12:45:51 AM »
Thanks Bob.  That is a good article.
Dave
Sticky it and I'll find more pertinent detailed easy to read/understand stuff that folks can easily access.
I prefer no recognition about it...you know how I roll.  8)

CB

Offline Adam T

« Reply #406 on: May 16, 2014, 02:22:01 PM »
What causes the flaming knob syndrome on the BS? Is it because the burner can't handle the volume of gas that a 10 PSI regulator provides? Is it something else?

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #407 on: May 16, 2014, 05:42:45 PM »
What causes the flaming knob syndrome on the BS? Is it because the burner can't handle the volume of gas that a 10 PSI regulator provides? Is it something else?

This reply shows the configuration and discusses causes: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=25127.msg315560#msg315560
Dave

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #408 on: May 17, 2014, 12:05:48 AM »
That burner can handle 30lbs....the fault is in the BS choice to use cheap pos control mech.. Pull the knob off, look in there and you can see where a flamethrower is gonna originate from man.
Why do you think BS is so helpful in replacing everyone's broken $hit? Look at the amount of materials and shoddy workmanship involved on that thing....and they rake in 400+ per unit?
Your build is waay better.
And I don't care what anybody says about their being able to simply change their name and start fresh....when somebody gets burnt up from this thing....BS will run but not be able to hide.

CB

Offline Adam T

« Reply #409 on: May 17, 2014, 10:11:26 AM »
Thanks guys, that helps. It's good to know that the burner can handle a lot of pressure.

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #410 on: May 25, 2014, 04:01:37 AM »
On a different-but-still-mod-related topic...

Am I the only one who has to stoop to work pies in the Blackstone?   I was recently reminded by my wife that I look a bit ridiculous hunched down shuffling the pizza around.  I'm only average height 5'10" so I'm assuming that all the taller guys/gals would doubly struggle.

So onto the mod bit...  I'm guessing the oven could be lifted about 6 inches to be closer to optimum height for me. Other than sticking it on a box, which is what I'll do in the short term - any thoughts about how to make the oven taller?  Could the legs be extended somehow?

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #411 on: May 25, 2014, 08:12:08 AM »

Am I the only one who has to stoop to work pies in the Blackstone?   I was recently reminded by my wife that I look a bit ridiculous hunched down shuffling the pizza around.  I'm only average height 5'10" so I'm assuming that all the taller guys/gals would doubly struggle.

So onto the mod bit...  I'm guessing the oven could be lifted about 6 inches to be closer to optimum height for me. Other than sticking it on a box, which is what I'll do in the short term - any thoughts about how to make the oven taller?  Could the legs be extended somehow?

at 5' 1/2" it's perfect for me so I can't imagine what it's like for everyone else

maybe something like a dorm bed riser  would work if the wheels were taken off  http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/tall-black-bed-lifts-trade-set-of-4/1013262713?Keyword=bed+riser.   

The other alternative use cut pieces of 4x4 post,   drill hole large enough to drop the legs in (without the wheels ) and mount the wheels on the bottom of the post if you wanted it to be mobile.  With the 4x4 it would be easy to make it the height you wanted 

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #412 on: May 26, 2014, 11:52:21 AM »

Had not thought about that.  Good idea Dylan, and thanks for the suggestions Deb.  I don't do Bed Bath and Beyond (and had to look it up to make sure the spelling was correct  :-D) but I do Home Depot.  I'm thinking something in the thin-wall conduit isle might be interesting.  Fits over the of BS leg, with a stop-bolt/pin through the center to set elevation?
Dave

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #413 on: May 26, 2014, 10:24:16 PM »
That burner can handle 30lbs....the fault is in the BS choice to use cheap pos control mech.. Pull the knob off, look in there and you can see where a flamethrower is gonna originate from man.
Why do you think BS is so helpful in replacing everyone's broken $hit? Look at the amount of materials and shoddy workmanship involved on that thing....and they rake in 400+ per unit?
Your build is waay better.
And I don't care what anybody says about their being able to simply change their name and start fresh....when somebody gets burnt up from this thing....BS will run but not be able to hide.

CB

I agree BOB
I am glad that there were no problem with Blackstone replacing my flame thrower
They did not even want the old one back so I guess they know there are problems.
I really think that Homedepot and Lowes are starting to sell these that there might
be a problem with someone getting hurt since 99% don't go into this site.
I can see a lawsult by them knowing about this problem and not having a recall on the
problem units.....I love my blackstone and I am always watching the grill just in case,but I am sure many others
have no clue about the Flame at the control knob..........JT

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #414 on: May 27, 2014, 06:15:24 AM »

I agree BOB
I am glad that there were no problem with Blackstone replacing my flame thrower
They did not even want the old one back so I guess they know there are problems.
I really think that Homedepot and Lowes are starting to sell these that there might
be a problem with someone getting hurt since 99% don't go into this site.
I can see a lawsult by them knowing about this problem and not having a recall on the
problem units.....I love my blackstone and I am always watching the grill just in case,but I am sure many others
have no clue about the Flame at the control knob..........JT
Yep, it's only a matter of time.
I wonder if they changed to a different(better quality) control valve on these newer models?

I've been on fire before and it was not pretty.  >:(

CB

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #415 on: May 29, 2014, 12:19:13 PM »
Some Blackstone owners have expressed concern about the stock valve setup, so here are alternatives to consider.

I replaced the stock valve with a needle valve commonly used with SP10 burners used in home brew setups.  The result has been reliable leak-free for several months and offers exceptionally fine flame adjustment, but it is “not for everybody”.  Besides the parts cost of $35, the job takes a moderate amount of skill and places liability on the undertaker.  (Yep, that is a play on words, but it really means you.)

The first picture, “ExistingValve”, shows what the internals look like after the rivets are drilled out on the stainless steel front cover.  You are replacing everything inside the black box except the burner, labeled 1, in the photo.  The replacement part is shown in “BlackstoneRetrofit” along with dimensions.  Ignore the larger bull-nose fitting on the bottom as stock valve comes with 3/8" which is likely better anyway (see below).  You can source the parts wherever, but I bought them at Tejassmokers.com from a very helpful chap named Cheyenne (Ph: 713-222-0077).

The good news is that if you get the length dimensions right, the entire valve assembly just screws right into the already-threaded Blackstone burner and the only thing sticking outside the stainless cover is the control knob.  The control knob has a hex nut on the shaft that fits nicely into the stainless front cover so the valve is well-supported at both ends (i.e. screwed into the burner and snug in the stainless).

You can see in the photo “ValveTestFit” that I “hogged” out the metal box to insert a standard yellow gas line (1/2” for gas range).  Although this setup has been working fine for several months, per Cheyenne, it is not rated for 10 psi, so when I get back from travels, I'll be switching out the yellow gas line for a braided 3/8” line and fitting.

AFIK the only two Blackstone owners that have made this modification are Larry (thezaman) and me.  Larry wanted “all the love” that the Blackstone burner could muster so he replaced his 10psi regulator with a 30psi regulator for special effects on short bakes.  I have an underground propane tank regulated to 10psi, so the after the flow loss in the retrofit valve, the flame looks like ~7.5psi regulator.

An alternative retrofit, for those interested, is shown in “SP10 Regulator+Valve”.  In this setup a small in-line valve is used just after the red regulator which flows through a 90 degree fitting directly into the burner.

As always, improvements are welcome.

Dave

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #416 on: May 29, 2014, 08:25:17 PM »
Dave, great write up and excellent photos. 

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #417 on: May 30, 2014, 01:37:23 AM »
 dave upon you recommendation i also purchased a valve from the same company. i had it built a Little different and lost a lot of gas pressure because of the extra length. the fix i used was a variable regulator that went to 30 psi. i increased  the pressure to about 15 psi and the valve works beautifully. the amount of fine adjustment that can be made allows for more consistency. tonight was the first time in months that i was able to test my mods and i think i am done. very consistent bake at about one minute cook time. i was able to keep the floor at around 800 degrees by adjusting the flame in small amounts. so thanks dave!!

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #418 on: May 30, 2014, 11:12:20 AM »
Thanks Barry & Larry.  Nice pie pictures and thanks for including the valve setup.

For discerning viewers, you will note differences between Larry's setup and mine.  One example is that Larry uses an in-line valve and I use a 90 degree valve, both are from Tejassmokers.  I have both valves.  I like the flow better in Larry's inline valve but I used the 90 degree setup because it is a drop-in replacement for Blackstone's valve.  If someone knows a cleaver way to make a sweep 90, instead of sharp elbow 90, I would try mounting the inline valve near the (still handy) right-front leg of the Blackstone and sweep up through the ignitor box and into the burner.  Brass/Aluminum/Stainless preferred b/c of corrosive gas.

Dave

Offline Black Tie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #419 on: June 10, 2014, 05:43:11 AM »
Amazing all the Blackstone related threads and posts.

Back to the Rotation Mod.

For years I've used a battery operated rotisserie identical to the BS unit on my Weber kettle grill. At first I was skeptical about using batteries, but they last a long time. Having the freedom without a power cord is a plus in my eyes. So I want to use the stock battery powered BS unit. The problem with it is that it rotates clockwise (CW). So I flipped the polarity of the motor inside the unit to get the rotation CCW, soldering iron required.

Exactly how do you do this?

1) Remove visible screws and separate the housing halves.
2) Remove the 3 screws that retain the gearbox plate to gain access to the small motor.
3) Unsolder the 2 motor contacts.
4) Rotate the motor 180 degrees.
5) Solder the motor contacts and reassemble.
Works perfect. 

This is what I did. Just my $0.02 to help others.  ;D

BT
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 06:06:28 AM by Black Tie »

pizzapan