Author Topic: Blackstone Mods and Adjustments  (Read 39729 times)

Offline milt

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Blackstone Mods and Adjustments
« Reply #300 on: October 18, 2013, 09:25:44 AM »
Wow, a supplied bearing included with the Blackstone.  Never saw that.  On the lower metal shelf there is an installed bearing.  After reading good information supplied on this thread, I changed the position of my collar to ride on this lower bearing, and I believe no other bearing is needed.  Mark

You learn something new everyday, had no idea that bearing fit in the lower shelf. When I unpacked the unit it was sitting on the shaft the way I showed in the pictures. I just put the bearing in the lower shelf, the turntable is stabler than before. I guess that is why nobody had this problem :-[ This site and the people on it are great, thanks

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #301 on: October 18, 2013, 11:16:09 AM »
Wow, a supplied bearing included with the Blackstone.  Never saw that.  On the lower metal shelf there is an installed bearing.  After reading good information supplied on this thread, I changed the position of my collar to ride on this lower bearing, and I believe no other bearing is needed.  Mark
Just to summarize

•   The bearing in the photo is intended to be pressed into the lower (bottom) shelf and you won't be able to see it unless you crane your neck or get under the oven and look up.
  •   Communist chose a novel method of mounting the collar w/ the set screw between the upper and lower shelves.  In his implementation, the collar rests on the bearing on the lower shelf.  The good news about that is that there is less rotating friction because the bearings w/ collars are more efficient than bushings w/ collars.  The bad news is that one needs to remove the collar to remove the platter.

Pls correct if I misunderstood or misstated the situation.

Dave

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #302 on: November 21, 2013, 07:33:32 AM »
I sold my BSO to a friend and helped him assemble and make the first pie in it last night.  It fired up fine for the check of everything.   But during the preheat for the actual first bake, it had flames behind the burner control knob.   Fist time this has happened.   

Tampa
What did you end up doing on yours? 

My friend and I talked about changing the burner to one without the adjustment control knob and just use the regulator for heatccontrol.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #303 on: November 21, 2013, 09:07:44 AM »
Hi Chuck,

I'm thinking what you are thinking - just use the regulator or in-line valve with fine control to dial the flame.  I'm finding that there are times when I just want to dial down the heat and let it idle between pies.  I haven't done all the research yet.

I've tried a bunch of different deflector types from top mounted (slipped under the upper stone) to baking stone level, to deflectors mounted near the burner (control the flame profile from start to stone to top).  I'm not saying that I've exhausted every option, but I haven't found a deflector that is compelling.

At one point I was getting too much browning of the cheese, so I slipped some stainless steel under the top stone.  The idea was based on 'really good science', reasoning that the hot, high emissivity stone, was charring the cheese.  (Remember the toast experiment?).  According to the calculations, the radiation from stainless is significantly less than stone.  Indeed that seemed to help, although the stainless turned almost as black as the chassis - I guess stainless is more of a marketing term.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I've started working the pie and flame much more than before.  In short, I set the baking stone temperature, throw a pie, give it 30 seconds to set, then use a turning peel to keep an edge of the pie near the flame. I use a standard HD rotisserie, instead of the stock BS rotisserie.  Besides the added durability, the HD rotisserie turns opposite the stock BS unit, making it easier to keep the edge of the pie in the flame.

Dave
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 09:36:17 AM by Tampa »

Offline communist

« Reply #304 on: November 21, 2013, 09:55:34 AM »

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #305 on: November 24, 2013, 01:36:06 AM »
Mark
I bought a 2Stone secondhand.  It works very well and has probably twice the burner heat.  But more importantly it is stainless and should last longer. The Blackstone has a wider mouth and is a bit easier to get a large pie in and out of.  I was going to ship my BSO across the country to my brother in Virginia,  but it was about the same to sell it for $200 and buy a new BSO sent directly to him.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #306 on: November 24, 2013, 08:40:09 AM »
 installed the chauflector ,it really makes a huge difference in how the rim cooks as well as the cheese melting. it reduced overall cooking time to around  one minute. i need a little adjustment it was bent a little aggressive.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #307 on: November 24, 2013, 04:02:28 PM »
installed the chauflector ,it really makes a huge difference in how the rim cooks as well as the cheese melting. it reduced overall cooking time to around  one minute. i need a little adjustment it was bent a little aggressive.
What an amazing achievement in focusing the flame on the rim and not on the cheese.
Dave

Offline tommy

• Supporting Member
  • Always learning, and struggling. And eating.
    • tommy:eats
« Reply #308 on: December 17, 2013, 02:42:41 PM »
Hey folks, I'm doing through the process of removing the collar and placing it between the shelves on the lower shelf. I've removed the allen screw, but the darned thing doesn't seem to want to slide off. Obviously it does, but is there a trick I'm missing?

I type for a living, so, you know, I'm not so good with the mechanical stuff.  :-[

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #309 on: December 17, 2013, 03:08:36 PM »
Hey folks, I'm doing through the process of removing the collar and placing it between the shelves on the lower shelf. I've removed the allen screw, but the darned thing doesn't seem to want to slide off. Obviously it does, but is there a trick I'm missing?

I type for a living, so, you know, I'm not so good with the mechanical stuff.  :-[

I would give a light smack with a hammer around the collar.

Offline tommy

• Supporting Member
  • Always learning, and struggling. And eating.
    • tommy:eats
« Reply #310 on: December 17, 2013, 03:15:19 PM »
I would give a light smack with a hammer around the collar.
That did it. Thanks. :)

Offline TOM1L21

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #311 on: December 18, 2013, 09:44:29 PM »
So I had some complaints yesterday http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25127.msg292992.html#msg292992, so its only fair to show the photos. Some of the issues I have are the weld for the front face of the steel cover, its bent edge, and the heat shield not sitting level on the glow bars. Are these issues something I should contact Blackstone about or am I overacting?

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #312 on: December 18, 2013, 10:26:29 PM »
So I had some complaints yesterday http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25127.msg292992.html#msg292992, so its only fair to show the photos. Some of the issues I have are the weld for the front face of the steel cover, its bent edge, and the heat shield not sitting level on the glow bars. Are these issues something I should contact Blackstone about or am I overacting?
It's entirely up to you...but I wouldn't be happy with that cover; they'll send you a new one Tom.
The heat shield....you could probably tweak that.....have someone hold it firmly on a counter with maybe half of it protruding out over the edge of counter and "lean" on it hard. As is , it's very close though and should not pose a performance problem.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #313 on: December 19, 2013, 07:19:44 AM »
Tom,  if it was a $2,000 unit, I would be complaining.  At the price they sell it for,  all I expected was something that would work.   I haven't examined my BS for welds and bent areas, but if I did and saw what you posted, I wouldn't complain - but again that is me.  On the heat shield, all it has to do is keep the upper stone in place, and direct the heat to the bottom of the upper stone, so as long as it does that, I wouldn't mess with it.  It is not designed to move and it probably won't rock or move when you are cooking since it is supported at 3 distinct points - the two sides and the rear.  If the rocking of the heat shield is large and it bothers you, I would just bend one of the bars so that it stopped, or as Bob suggests, bend the shield a little.  Again, I have purchased several countertop pizza ovens that retail for far more than the BS ( though I got them used ) and the welds were pretty, and the finishing on the exterior was perfect, but none held a candle to the BS, so   I am much more about function than pretty looks.   

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #314 on: December 19, 2013, 09:00:37 AM »
Tom, thanks for posting the pictures.  I agree with Bob and Barry.  I'm not sure what your plans are for a rotisserie, but I advocate using the stock motor as a backup and investing in a HD rotisserie for regular use.  I bought this one for my neighbor, Bobino, and he loves it (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043C5ZDI/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_3p_M3T1_ST1_dp_1).  It has all the goodies (Drop In replacement, CCW Rotation, HD, Stainless, On/Off switch). 
Dave
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 06:52:08 PM by Tampa »

Offline PizzaJerk

« Reply #315 on: December 20, 2013, 12:36:55 PM »
Dave,
  How is the sound of the motor? Hopefully more on the quiet side as opposed to the stock motor's incessant hum. I am looking into an upgrade as well.

Regards,
Anthony
May I glorify the Lord in all that I do.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #316 on: December 20, 2013, 01:52:23 PM »
I would say the rotisserie is "dang quiet" - you can't hear it over the flame, even with the gas on medium/low.  Qarl posted on one a few weeks back that was indeed "whisper quiet" and that is a fine unit as well.  I bought two of those and later returned them because the installation was a little fiddly and the rotation was clockwise like the stock BS motor.  I prefer a counter-clockwise rotation because it makes it easier to slide the rim of the pie into the flame to finish off the color.  Also with CCW, I know exactly when to pull the pie - before that char point gets back into the flame zone.  Hope that helps.
Dave

Offline TOM1L21

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #317 on: December 23, 2013, 03:06:25 PM »
In case anyone was interested on the capacity of 2 'D' batteries, I made some pizzas at 10PM and promptly ate myself to sleep. Woke up at 6AM with the stone still spinning, also out in the rain :(

Offline steelgrey

• Fire and flour
« Reply #318 on: December 24, 2013, 02:49:47 AM »
CDN, I measured the temperature of the shaft above the bearing (420F) and just below the bearing (210F).  That seems like a pretty sizeable gradient, but I think the numbers are accurate.
Dave
I have been looking into bearing lubrication. The smoke point of safflower oil and avocado oil are both a bit over 500.  Powdered graphite is also a solution, it is non-toxic and has a very high melting point. Lastly the bearing is under such little pressure and rotational stress that it hardly needs lubrication, just enough to prevent squeaking. Kaz

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #319 on: December 24, 2013, 08:38:15 AM »
Tom - Thanks for the battery information.  Good to know.

Kaz - Good suggestions on the bushing oil and bearing lubrication.  I'm with you.  Clearly that bearing was designed a different load than the pizza oven.  As an early adopter to the Blackstone, I've never lubricated the bearing and still haven't noticed squeaking.  I'll likely wait until I do hear a squeak because residual oil tends to retain schmutz.

Dave

pizzapan