Author Topic: PFM Special Pizza Blend vs. Caputo Pizzeria  (Read 863 times)

Offline ccgus

• Mueller Pizza Lab
PFM Special Pizza Blend vs. Caputo Pizzeria
« on: July 24, 2013, 12:38:14 PM »
I recently discovered we had a Cash and Carry up in Everett, WA so I stopped in to see if they had any interesting stuff I might use on my pizzas- I it turns out they have a handful of different flours from Pendleton Flour Mills, including a 42lb bag of "Special Pizza Blend".  I hadn't come across this flour before (and it isn't listed on their website) bit it was only $14 so I picked up a bag.

I decided to make 4 balls of dough with it along with 4 balls of dough with Caputo Pizzeria flour, made in the exact same way and in the same WFO to see how it compared.  I was surprised it did so well in the oven, and I honestly could not tell the difference between the two after a bake.

Just thought I'd pass along that it seems to be a decent flour to use in a WFO, and it's super cheap as well (a bag of Caputo Pizzeria is $45 around here).

~62% hydration, saft yeast, bulk raise for ~18 hours and then 6 hour raise after that.

Offline Yeasty Boy

Re: PFM Special Pizza Blend vs. Caputo Pizzeria
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 11:30:50 PM »
How can a company manufacture 42 lbs of flour in Tennessee, ship it to Washington, sell it for $14 and make a profit? That's amazing.

Offline ccgus

• Mueller Pizza Lab
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 11:58:47 PM »
How can a company manufacture 42 lbs of flour in Tennessee, ship it to Washington, sell it for $14 and make a profit? That's amazing.

I bet they are selling it for less than $14, since Cash and Carry has to make some money as well.  PFM also has some operations in Oregon, so it's likely the flour came from there.

Offline iRobertO

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 01:15:05 PM »
Sorry for the high jacking but I'm going to Seattle this weekend ccgus. I checked and there are a bunch of VPN's there, any recommendations? I wanted to check out Pulcinellas, have you tried?

iRobertO

Offline ccgus

• Mueller Pizza Lab
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 01:49:57 PM »
I wanted to check out Pulcinellas, have you tried?

I haven't tried it, sorry.

pizzapan