Author Topic: Which new mixer to buy?  (Read 3994 times)

Offline SouthernPete

• I Love Pizza!
Which new mixer to buy?
« on: February 15, 2006, 01:33:15 PM »
I have a KitchenAid commercial mixer that bogs down when I try to make a decent batch of pizza or bread dough, so I am going to give it to my aunt and purchase a new one.

At the resturant I work in they use Globe mixers from 8qt to 60qt and they seem to be of good quality but the 8qt doesnt have an attachment hub, most people seem to like Hobart mixers except some mixed feedback with the new legacy series, and I have seen some good comments on the larger Varimixer models but not much on the small ones.

I have narrowed my search down to the Varimixer W5A ($767) and the Hobart N50 ($1399).

Varimixer site:
http://www.wodschow.dk/product_group.asp?kategori=1

Hobart n50:
http://www.hobartcorp.com/hobartg5/pr/n50.nsf/home

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
Re: Which new mixer to buy?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 09:20:34 AM »
Can I ask why you haven't considered the Electrolux DLX 2000?  The reason I ask is, I'll be upgrading my mixer soon, and I'm in the same boat as you, but I don't really want to spend a grand on a hobart.
I am considering the DLX because it seems to have gotten great reviews.
Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

Offline AKSteve

• Lifetime Member
  • We are all made from the same dough.
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 12:33:36 PM »
You might want to look into the Santos mixer as well. Mine just came in the mail yesterday so I can't really give a good review of it yet. But I will say that if I can get my technique down with it, it will provide me with all the mixing capacity I'll ever use. I made a batch of pizza dough last night using 10 cups of high-gluten flour and the mixer didn't have any problems with it at all. The total dough weight was over 5.5lbs and this would have made either the Kitchen Aid or Viking mixers I've use start to smoke or just seize up.

After the pizza dough, I decided to try out recipe for french bread that was in the Santos' owner's manual. The recipe is for 4kg (8.8lbs) of dough. I didn't need that much, so I only made 1/3 of a batch of dough, which was enough for 4 baguettes. Although I didn't really form them properly, the flavor came out great.

The Santos mixer isn't cheap at just over $1,000 these days. But in comparison to a home stand mixer, the Santos unit feels like a commercial grade appliance.

Steve

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 03:18:29 PM »
Do what you want SouthernPete, but I'm here to tell you,  the DLX is great.  I made a batch yesterday which weighed in around 8.3 pounds.  The machine didn't break a sweat.  The dough came out like satin and bakes like a cloud.
After smokin' up my KA last year, I hunted around for a replacement.  I even went to the (Chicago) National Restaurant Show to find something.  I ended up with a DLX after Jeff explicitly demonstrated its merits on his website.
A HUGE learning curve is ahead if you choose this mixer.  But, it will amaze you.  I'm back to my regular formula using the dough hook and haven't looked back.  It's not often you use something and actually stop and remark how well it works.  Good luck in your search.

Offline SouthernPete

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 06:08:28 PM »
Can I ask why you haven't considered the Electrolux DLX 2000?  The reason I ask is, I'll be upgrading my mixer soon, and I'm in the same boat as you, but I don't really want to spend a grand on a hobart.
I am considering the DLX because it seems to have gotten great reviews.

I have considered it but I wanted to stick with a planetary design, I have a freind with one and have seen hers in action....bottom line is that they are great for breads and doughs but most other recipes seem to work out better in a planetary design.

Offline SouthernPete

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 06:11:50 PM »
You might want to look into the Santos mixer as well. Mine just came in the mail yesterday so I can't really give a good review of it yet. But I will say that if I can get my technique down with it, it will provide me with all the mixing capacity I'll ever use. I made a batch of pizza dough last night using 10 cups of high-gluten flour and the mixer didn't have any problems with it at all. The total dough weight was over 5.5lbs and this would have made either the Kitchen Aid or Viking mixers I've use start to smoke or just seize up.

After the pizza dough, I decided to try out recipe for french bread that was in the Santos' owner's manual. The recipe is for 4kg (8.8lbs) of dough. I didn't need that much, so I only made 1/3 of a batch of dough, which was enough for 4 baguettes. Although I didn't really form them properly, the flavor came out great.

The Santos mixer isn't cheap at just over $1,000 these days. But in comparison to a home stand mixer, the Santos unit feels like a commercial grade appliance.

Steve

That is the mixer I would get if I was only going to use it for dough but since I will be using the mixer for a variety of things I leaning towards a planetary mixer, glad you have great luck with yours...from the looks of them they mix the dough to perfect texture.

Offline dough-re-mi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 09:50:07 PM »
I just got a Delongi DSM7 7 quart mixer, 950 watts, and it takes up less counter space than the KitchenAid since it is more vertical. I shopped around, and got it for about 50 dollars more than the KitchenAid pro model I almost bought.

Offline sebdesn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 10:43:42 PM »
Which KA commercial do you have....I had a  325watt commercial
that was underpowered, I now have the km25g  commercial which is 450w and uses the spiral hook..It is much much better..
Bud

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 11:07:19 PM »
Hey,

I'm the guy that started out touting the DLX on this forum. Let me say a couple of things.

First, the DLX is a great machine. I just made 13 pizza doughs in a batch, thats over 9 lbs of dough and it turned out great. For the price ($460) you can't beat it for making large batches and it's a sturdy machine that makes GREAT dough.

Second, I bought the DLX after a lot of frustration with the Kitchen Aid which can't handle tough work. However, I've since learned better mixing techniques. The dough itself is better if it's not tough, so this means the KA can in fact make a good dough.  The key is learning more about autolyze and mixing at high hydrations, which I discuss at length on my site. If you let the flour and water soak for 20 minutes prior to mixing AND do most of the mixing with very wet dough (halfway between batter and dough), you can make an excellent dough and it doesn't tax the mixer that much, even with high gluten flour.  I've made up to 4 doughs in a 4.5 quart KA mixer and they were great. The motor did not break a sweat because the dough was wet and soft - so wet that the hook goes through the dough and the dough releases if you lift the hook. Only at the very last minute is a little more flour added to lower the hydration just a bit.  The larger KA can probably make a bit more. You obviously can't do a large batch like with the DLX, though.

The DLX is the better machine, I don't think that can be disputed.  But it's not a pretty machine like the KA, it's bulky and since most people have a KA, I think they can learn to use it.

Bottom line, learn better technique and you will stop hating the KA as much. But if you want a great machine to make large batches the DLX is a great choice.

Jeff
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 11:11:47 PM by varasano »

Offline PizzaEater

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 07:29:13 PM »
I would have to recommend the Bosch Universal mixer.  Huge bowl, never gets bogged down, lot of accessories (blender, food processor, meat grinder, ice cream maker, etc), easy to use.  Can be found online with some decent discounts.  Do a web search and you'll see a lot of positive remarks.  I am very happy with my decision to get a Bosch.  I have yet to hear of anyone that regretted getting one.  It will do 12 lbs of dough, 3 year warranty.  The only other mixer in it's class, within a hundred dollars, is the DLX.  That said it can do everything the DLX can do.  I got the Bosch over the DLX mainly because a got a better deal at the time, other minor factors was looks, ease of use and attachments.  If I had to guess if you got a Bosch or DLX you would be equally happy.  My advice look at both.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 07:47:30 PM by PizzaEater »

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2006, 01:07:50 PM »
Here's a video showing the mixing action of the DLX.

If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market