Author Topic: I need some advice. Can my doughballs be saved?  (Read 491 times)

Offline redox

I need some advice. Can my doughballs be saved?
« on: July 24, 2013, 10:36:04 AM »
I don't know what I was thinking. I made up a couple of NY style doughballs yesterday and treated the ADY as if it were IDY. I didn't activate the ADY in warm water, I just mixed it with the rest of the ingredients.
I realized this today when I saw that the dough hadn't risen at all. So, I took them out of the fridge and have them sitting on the counter. Maybe I should put them in a 90 oven. Has anyone had to deal with this before? I wanted to do some NY style on my BS oven after a 3 day cold ferment.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: I need some advice. Can my doughballs be saved?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 10:51:09 AM »
Has anyone had to deal with this before? I wanted to do some NY style on my BS oven after a 3 day cold ferment.

Jay,

I tried the addition of ADY without hydrating on the HRI thread at Reply 740 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6112.msg249603.html#msg249603  I think you will be okay without hydrating the ADY.  If you read more in that thread about what happened with that dough ball it was okay even though I didn't hydrate the ADY, but that dough ball just took longer to ferment. 

Peter posted at Reply 608 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6112.msg246828.html#msg246828  about that trick with IDY and ADY and it does work with ADY without hydrating.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline redox

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 11:01:34 AM »
Jay,

I tried the addition of ADY without hydrating on the HRI thread at Reply 740 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6112.msg249603.html#msg249603  I think you will be okay without hydrating the ADY.  If you read more in that thread about what happened with that dough ball it was okay even though I didn't hydrate the ADY, but that dough ball just took longer to ferment. 

Peter posted at Reply 608 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6112.msg246828.html#msg246828  about that trick with IDY and ADY and it does work with ADY without hydrating.

Norma

It's good to know that I should be ok. I'll leave it at room temperature until it starts to rise, then put it back in the fridge. Does that sound reasonable?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 11:08:28 AM »
Do you normally see rise when you make dough and stick it straight into the fridge?
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline redox

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 11:20:58 AM »
Do you normally see rise when you make dough and stick it straight into the fridge?
I expected to see some rise after 24 hours but I've only done cold ferments with IDY so I needed to know if I screwed the pooch with this dough so I had time to make some more, if necessary.
I need to start making notes if I'm going to get serious about pizza.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 11:22:29 AM by redox »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 02:08:44 PM »
Jay,

I think you will need to watch the dough balls, because Peter said that once the dough warms up like in the way you are letting it warm up at room temperature the rise should happen fairly quickly.

Much much ADY did you use for a 3 day cold fermentation and do you know what your final dough temperature was? 

It would be up to you if you wanted to make some more dough. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 02:27:39 PM »
Jay,

I believe that your dough can be salvaged but it may take quite a while, especially if you used an amount of ADY that was on the low side. In the HRI case that Norma cited, the amount of yeast was above normal. If you would like to see an example of where dry ADY is used in relatively small quantity, and without prehydration, you might want to read Reply 48 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6758.msg64308.html#msg64308. In your case, I think the answer is to expose your dough balls to a fair amount of heat to expedite the fermentation process. If you are able to stir the yeast from its slumber, I would then watch it to be sure that it ferments in a more normal way from that point on. It is very hard to stop yeast from what it was intended to do on our planet. You just have to avoid exposing it to temperatures that will kill all or part of it before it has performed the tasks asked of it.

Peter

Offline redox

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 02:55:26 PM »
Jay,

I believe that your dough can be salvaged but it may take quite a while, especially if you used an amount of ADY that was on the low side. 

Peter
Thanks Peter,
I've had it at room temp for about 4.5 hrs and just put it back in the fridge since it rose enough that I had to punch it down. I'll keep an eye on it for the next two days. My original plan was to use it Friday. Does that make sense?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 03:07:18 PM »
Jay,

How much ADY did you use?

Peter

Offline redox

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 03:12:16 PM »
Jay,

How much ADY did you use?

Peter
0.31%

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 03:22:28 PM »
Jay,

I think you should be OK.

Peter

Offline redox

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 03:27:36 PM »
Jay,

I think you should be OK.

Peter
Ok, thanks. I'll post pics if they look good.

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 09:10:34 PM »
Ok, thanks. I'll post pics if they look good.

Turn out good?
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline redox

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 09:12:33 PM »
Turn out good?
I'll find out tomorrow. That's when the dough hits the unidentified Chinese baking surface.  :)

pizzapan