Author Topic: Walmart finally had some Great Value Whole Milk Mozzarella  (Read 1240 times)

Offline redox

Walmart finally had some Great Value Whole Milk Mozzarella
« on: July 19, 2013, 03:57:07 PM »
That'll give me something cheap to experiment with while learning how to use my BS oven. I bought all they had (3#) in the hopes that they'll order more. This is the first time I've seen it at a local Walmart. I'm curious how good it is.

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
Re: Walmart finally had some Great Value Whole Milk Mozzarella
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 04:03:34 PM »
It's about the same as all the others, next time look for a brand called Dragone and give that a try. My Walmart sells Polly-O, Sorrento, GV and Dragone. Very seldom are all of them on the shelf at the same time.
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 05:22:00 PM »
GV quality has been hit or miss for me. Last year it was pretty good, early this year it was not and I haven't bought any since.

My wally only sells the GV brand. I wish they stocked others, but I don't use it much anymore anyway so no big deal. It's a better option than part skim at least.
Josh

Offline redox

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 07:55:20 PM »
It's about the same as all the others, next time look for a brand called Dragone and give that a try. My Walmart sells Polly-O, Sorrento, GV and Dragone. Very seldom are all of them on the shelf at the same time.
This is the first time I've even seen GV mozz at a Walmart in this area. The only other I found was Great Lakes wm mozz for $9.99/lb. at a high end store. I asked them if it was made of inkjet printer ink. This part of the country is pretty dead for wm mozz.

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 08:15:27 PM »
Great Lakes is kind of a low end cheese as I see it, never had their mozzarella, but just last week I bought 8oz. bricks of their cheddar for $1.24 @, I smoke them for cheap eats!
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline redox

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 08:57:33 PM »
Great Lakes is kind of a low end cheese as I see it, never had their mozzarella, but just last week I bought 8oz. bricks of their cheddar for $1.24 @, I smoke them for cheap eats!
Great Lakes is nothing special. I've not used it for pizza yet so I'll see how it works for NY style. But nothing unusually good to the taste.