Author Topic: California Hispanic Cheese Makers who Produce Mozzarella  (Read 1110 times)

Offline Zing

California Hispanic Cheese Makers who Produce Mozzarella
« on: July 25, 2013, 08:32:45 PM »
I am trying to get a list of the cheese producers in California catering to the Hispanic market who produce what they are calling mozzarella cheese. As some of you may know, I am trying to clone Shakey's pizza (specifically, what is being served at corporate-owned restaurants) and have not been able to duplicate the cheese blend yet. I have tried many samples of both retail and foodservice mozzarella from Sorrento/Lactalis, Kraft/Polly-O, Saputo, Schreiber, Grande, DFA, Biazzo (NJ), etc.

On the eastern seaboard, Hispanic foods distributor Rio Grande Food Products, Inc. markets a mozzarella cheese that has a flavor profile much different from other mozzarella cheeses:

http://www.riograndefoods.com/images/phocagallery/Refrigerated-Foods/thumbs/phoca_thumb_l_queso-mozarella.jpg

I am aware that Cacique USA, a Hispanic foods company based in Southern California sells mozzarella nationwide. However, this cheese is not a match either.

Does anyone know of other cheese producers in California (might be ones aimed at the Latino market) who make a cheese they call mozzarella but is quite different from Italian-style mozzarella? I have some people who will buy product for me, but I would need to give them lists of brands to buy.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: California Hispanic Cheese Makers who Produce Mozzarella
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 08:45:43 PM »
Have you tried Cacique queso oaxaca?

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 09:04:41 PM »
We do hqve quite a few. I don't recall the names but next time I'm in the store I will have a look and report back. Cacique is the biggest I think.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 10:59:28 PM »
Pizza Anarchy Tom knows about this stuff.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Zing

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 11:39:17 PM »
Have you tried Cacique queso oaxaca?
Yes, Cacique Queso Oaxaca is sold around here and I have tried it, but it is not a match, either. However, I have not been able to obtain samples of Cacique's sliced Asadero cheese.

Offline Zing

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 01:10:16 AM »
Pizza Anarchy Tom knows about this stuff.
It was from the posts of Tom and other members living in Texas that I wanted to explore cheeses aimed at the Latino market. I have tried several brands of Oaxaca found in international foods stores around here, but none were a match. The reasons for concentrating on Latino California makers are 1) Latinos make up a large percentage of Shakey's customers in Southern California and may prefer that flavor profile, 2) a lot of stores in California get their cheese pre-blended in boxes that are labeled something like "Made for Shakey's, Inc.", so I can't see them buying all the way from Wisconsin, 3) the pizza takeout boxes state "100% Whole Milk Mozzarella" even though it is a blend 4) former employees of Shakey's have reported mozzarella was the main component of the blend. So there is a possibility they are using a Latino-style mozzarella.

pizzapan