Author Topic: Rumor: RD no longer selling Supremo Italiano 00 flour  (Read 1053 times)

Offline derricktung

Rumor: RD no longer selling Supremo Italiano 00 flour
« on: August 30, 2013, 10:23:03 AM »
So I'm in a little bit of a quandry...

The RD I go ran out of Supremo Italiano 00 stock, and I went to customer service to ask when the next shipment would be.  They said the buyer hadn't reordered, and wasn't sure why, but would be calling me to let me know.

I left a post on Facebook for the Mobile WFO owners group, and one of the members mentioned she heard that RD is no longer selling Supremo Italiano 00.  (Which may be true, as they took out the shelf space for it, and the sign/pricing on the floor is gone as well).

For those that shop at RD, what flours do you use for a Neapolitan-esque build?  I picked up a bag of bromated AT to test it and see if I can replicate a Neapolitan style pie, but since my stock of 00 will be running out within a week, I'd like to lock down a new dough recipe to use.  Any advice based on what RD typically stocks?

For those that aren't familiar with RD stock, next time I go, I'll write down the flours available...  (I'm not entirely sure myself what's available either, as I've only been purchasing hotel/restaurant AP flour and the 00.) 

Thanks in advance!

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Rumor: RD no longer selling Supremo Italiano 00 flour
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 10:35:49 AM »
The last two times I've been to mine, the didn't carry the SI brand of 00 flour.  They do have another brand of 00 flour that they sell in 50 or 55 pound bags but I don't recall the brand or the price.  The next time I go, I will post it here.  Good luck.
Mary Ann

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 10:57:29 AM »
RD in Columbus has no 00 flour that I have seen.  They also recently discontinued Harvest King(which we use for artisan breads).  Walter

Online csafranek

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 11:26:05 AM »
You should contact your GM local dealer and get their Neapolitan flour. It is pretty darn close to caputo!

Offline derricktung

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 09:21:16 AM »
How does one find a GM dealer, and how much are you typically paying for a 50lb bag of GM Neapolitan?

The flours I see at RD are the following:

Ceresota Unbleached
All Trumps Hi Gluten
Conagra Kyrol High Gluten
Conagra King Midas Pizza Special Premium Baker's Flour

Anyone use any of these for a successful Neapolitan-style crust?

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 10:44:36 AM »
How does one find a GM dealer, and how much are you typically paying for a 50lb bag of GM Neapolitan?

The flours I see at RD are the following:

Ceresota Unbleached
All Trumps Hi Gluten
Conagra Kyrol High Gluten
Conagra King Midas Pizza Special Premium Baker's Flour

Anyone use any of these for a successful Neapolitan-style crust?

I don't think any of them will give you a crust that is close to Caputo 00. They're great for NY style, or "artisan" style, but not for Neapolitan, especially if you are trying to do it in a Blackstone or wood burning oven.  You really need the Caputo (or according to reports I've read, the new General Mills 00 product, if you can find it).

I've use both All Trumps and King Midas and find them both to be excellent flours for NY style or similar, but not for super high temp, 60-90 second pizzas. 

Offline derricktung

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 11:08:17 AM »
I don't think any of them will give you a crust that is close to Caputo 00. They're great for NY style, or "artisan" style, but not for Neapolitan, especially if you are trying to do it in a Blackstone or wood burning oven.  You really need the Caputo (or according to reports I've read, the new General Mills 00 product, if you can find it).

I've use both All Trumps and King Midas and find them both to be excellent flours for NY style or similar, but not for super high temp, 60-90 second pizzas.

Thanks for the insight... I picked up a bag of AT last week and was going to go with a half batch of AT, and a half batch of 00/AP flour mix for our market on Saturday for testing/selling.  What happened to your AT dough?  Did it burn in the wood fired oven? 

Offline derricktung

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 11:53:54 AM »
Just an update... we had a batch of AT at 68%, and found that while the tenderness of the dough is pretty similar to our typical mix of 00 and AP, the bottoms were burning when our floor was above 800 degrees... (too much char across the bottom in large bands instead of small leoparding spots)

It can be somewhat remedied by doming sooner, but definitely caused an issue at our last market.