Author Topic: Kenji's NY Style Pizza Sauce  (Read 2782 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

Kenji's NY Style Pizza Sauce
« on: July 26, 2013, 06:57:20 PM »
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/10/new-york-style-pizza-sauce.html

Has anyone tried this recipe?  If so your thoughts please.

Chau

Offline dhorst

Re: Kenji's NY Style Pizza Sauce
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 07:16:50 PM »
I have tried it, and it was okay, but I'm biased because I'm not a fan of cooked sauce on pizza.  I found it a touch too sweet for my taste, but the Sclafani's that I use are very vibrant and already sweet.  The onion also adds some sweetness in my opinion.  I'd rather use this sauce for pasta or lasagna.
My mind might be changed with a healthy dose of Aleppo added. ;D

BTW, Chau, I think I may be making some fresh mozzarella soon, and I'm thinking about rolling it in Aleppo and braiding it.  Yup, I'm a junkie.

Offline redox

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 07:30:04 PM »
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/10/new-york-style-pizza-sauce.html

Has anyone tried this recipe?  If so your thoughts please.

Chau

I tried it soon after I found this site and I liked it quite a bit. Then I discovered the uncooked sauces and found I like them much better.

Offline scott123

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 05:31:08 AM »
A cooked sauce for NY style pizza?  Et tu, Chau? Et tu?  :-D

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 10:01:46 AM »
Thanks dhorst and Redox for your thoughts on Kenji's cooked sauce. 

Scott I wanted a different taste than the sauces I've been making for the last 3 years.  Kenji's material usually is backed up with some sound reasoning and advice.  I like his sausage and french fry recipes, so I thought I would give this a try.   It was okay.  I was also using a new canned tomato that I wasn't really positive about to begin with so that may have made a difference I am not sure. 

Soctt, are you saying that real NY pizzerias never cook the sauce or that it's a big no no?  I was under the impression that many places do cook their sauce.  Is that not correct?

Thanks,
Chau
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 10:07:31 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline scott123

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 10:08:37 AM »
Scott, are you saying that real NY pizzerias never cook the sauce or that it's a big no no?  I was under the impression that many places do cook their sauce.  Is that not correct?

It's a big no no.  It would be like using a conveyor oven or imitation cheese.  A handful of places do use cooked sauce, but not any of the respected pizzerias.

Offline redox

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 12:26:10 PM »
I have tried it, and it was okay, but I'm biased because I'm not a fan of cooked sauce on pizza.  I found it a touch too sweet for my taste, but the Sclafani's that I use are very vibrant and already sweet.  The onion also adds some sweetness in my opinion.  I'd rather use this sauce for pasta or lasagna.
My mind might be changed with a healthy dose of Aleppo added. ;D

BTW, Chau, I think I may be making some fresh mozzarella soon, and I'm thinking about rolling it in Aleppo and braiding it.  Yup, I'm a junkie.
Aleppo, Aleppo, Aleppo, that's all I hear around here. And now, blast it, I've ordered some!  ;D

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 12:42:25 PM »
I've made it several times...I have some in the fridge right now. I admit I don't use sugar, or cook it as long as Kenji says, or reduce it as much as the recipe calls for...It gets a bit too sweet for my taste.  I cook it for 20 minutes, or so, with the top on the pot. 20 minutes is the bare minimum so that onion swimming in the sauce releases its hint of flavor. That and his addition of a little butter adds a unique bouquet and mouthfeel to the sauce. I use my stick blender after cooking (and removing the onion) to smooth out the sauce.

This recipe is quite tasty on a pizza that has a longer bake time. It's what I use to stripe my Detroit style pies and on my other teglia style pizzas. I have even used it on NP style pizza, too. I used it on my Chi-town thin this week.

Follow the recipe as close as possible. Highly recommended!
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline dhorst

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 12:44:22 PM »
Aleppo, Aleppo, Aleppo, that's all I hear around here. And now, blast it, I've ordered some!  ;D
;D Yes, another addict in the making!

Offline redox

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2013, 12:58:40 PM »
I've made it several times...I have some in the fridge right now. I admit I don't use sugar, or cook it as long as Kenji says, or reduce it as much as the recipe calls for...It gets a bit too sweet for my taste.  I cook it for 20 minutes, or so, with the top on the pot. 20 minutes is the bare minimum so that onion swimming in the sauce releases its hint of flavor. That and his addition of a little butter adds a unique bouquet and mouthfeel to the sauce. I use my stick blender after cooking (and removing the onion) to smooth out the sauce.

This recipe is quite tasty on a pizza that has a longer bake time. It's what I use to stripe my Detroit style pies and on my other teglia style pizzas. I have even used it on NP style pizza, too. I used it on my Chi-town thin this week.

Follow the recipe as close as possible. Highly recommended!
Good idea using it on Detroit style pizza. If I make it again, I think I'll try draining as much liquid as I can and then reducing the liquid, and not cooking the tomatoes.

Offline scott123

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2013, 01:08:33 PM »
Yup, I'm a junkie.

Diana, when you go out for pizza, do you bring aleppos with you?

Offline scott123

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2013, 01:10:14 PM »
Good idea using it on Detroit style pizza. If I make it again, I think I'll try draining as much liquid as I can and then reducing the liquid, and not cooking the tomatoes.

I am by no means an expert, but isn't Detroit style sauce supposed to be cooked because it doesn't cook on the pizza? Or do different Detroit outfits doing it in different ways?

Offline redox

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2013, 01:24:23 PM »
I am by no means an expert, but isn't Detroit style sauce supposed to be cooked because it doesn't cook on the pizza? Or do different Detroit outfits doing it in different ways?
I'm no expert either, but I've seen pix of different restaurants where the sauce was obviously put on the raw pizza and then baked.
Geez, I'm such a tool. Of course I'm no expert! I said that as if there's some doubt and I might actually know what I'm talking about. I really don't want to be a pretentious doofus.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 01:31:01 PM by redox »

Offline dhorst

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2013, 01:30:15 PM »
Diana, when you go out for pizza, do you bring aleppos with you?
I keep a jar in my purse and it's not just for pizza! I also have sea salt and pepper grinders in my purse. I live a well seasoned life.  :-D

Offline redox

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2013, 01:32:28 PM »
I keep a jar in my purse and it's not just for pizza! I also have sea salt and pepper grinders in my purse. I live a well seasoned life.  :-D
For everything there is a season(ing).

Offline redox

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2013, 01:48:01 PM »
My wife loves Detroit style pizza but prefers the taste of cooked sauce on it. I put on one stripe pre-bake and the second stripe post-bake on our four square. Marital happiness ensues.

Offline scott123

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2013, 02:48:12 PM »

Diana, I'm curious about something, have you ever sprinkled aleppos on a meal at a friend's/relative's house without their knowing it?

Offline dhorst

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2013, 05:14:48 PM »
Diana, I'm curious about something, have you ever sprinkled aleppos on a meal at a friend's/relative's house without their knowing it?

Yes, I have--I can be quite sneaky and also will avoid the husband rolling his eyes if I go into stealth mode.  Often when I'm at someone's house I'm doing some of the cooking and I've managed to sneak it into everyone's food.  I love Aleppo on seafood--particularly scallops, shrimp and mussels.
I didn't manage to avoid the eye roll today, though when I whipped out the jar at a restaurant we were eating at and sprinkled some on my turkey sandwich and Caesar salad.  >:D

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2013, 05:25:20 PM »
Diana hears a horn full of aleppo around her neck so she is never without! :-D

Offline dhorst

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2013, 05:34:56 PM »
Diana hears a horn full of aleppo around her neck so she is never without! :-D

Yes, I have a bag in my bedroom for midnight snacks, some in my purse, the Aleppo horn is always full and hangs in a place of honor on my kitchen wall, back up in the pantry, emergency stashes in the glove boxes of all three cars--well hidden from the husband because if he knew, I think he'd send me to rehab! :P

pizzapan