Author Topic: Colavita Crushed Tomatoes  (Read 826 times)

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
Colavita Crushed Tomatoes
« on: July 26, 2013, 07:25:36 PM »
I tried a can of Colavita crushed tomatoes recently ($2 on sale at Gelsons, normally $2.50) and I was quite happy with them. Very nice flavor, good consistency. I liked them so much that I went back and bought three more cans. Of course the sale was over by the time I went back.  >:(  I wonder if anyone else has tried these.  I'm a big fan of Pastene crushed tomatoes (but they are hard to find around here), and these kind of remind me of Pastene. 

Regards,

TinRoof

Offline pt

Re: Colavita Crushed Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 01:48:21 PM »
Tinroof, 20 years ago when I lived in Boston I bought Colavita and Pastene tomatoes all the time.  Both have very good products and the tomatoes did taste a lot alike.  Did you see any peeled?

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 02:44:52 PM »
I'm pretty sure I've seen them around but have never bought them. Pastene's are available locally for about a buck and a half a can.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 02:54:35 PM »

Online scott123

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 03:09:38 PM »
“There is no tomato in this country or in Italy that’s as good as the New Jersey tomato. Some of the characteristics might be good, but there’s nothing that can match it overall.”

They don't call NJ the 'Garden State' for nothing  ;D

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 04:40:42 PM »
here's why they're so good, they are from New Jersey  http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/12/nyregion/making-the-trip-from-the-vine-to-the-shelf.html

Aha, I see. Great find there DM, thanks for that link. I am really glad I ran across these Colavita tomatoes.  I'm going to be on the lookout for them and other NJ tomatoes. 

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 04:43:09 PM »
Tinroof, 20 years ago when I lived in Boston I bought Colavita and Pastene tomatoes all the time.  Both have very good products and the tomatoes did taste a lot alike.  Did you see any peeled?

At Gelson's they only have crushed.  Which I really prefer, assuming the  texture is right, which these are.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 05:08:19 PM »
A couple of brands that I know of that are packed from Jersey tomatoes are Jersey Fresh, La Fede, and Sclafani. Be sure the Sclafani's are the ones owned by B&G Foods, not the imported ones from a distributor in CT.

pizzapan