Author Topic: Small World  (Read 533 times)

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
Small World
« on: July 26, 2013, 11:31:41 PM »
I have been on a pizza tour of NYC since Wed afternoon. In the past 50 hours my son and I have eaten at Don Antonio by Starita (TWICE), Motorino, Forcella, Artichoke Basile's, and Paulie Gee's (tonite).

Both Roberto and Paulie were incredibly gracious and made us feel like we were personal friends. I can't tell you how great it was to be able to speak with them, and I get the sense that they would extend the same courtesy to anyone who expressed interest!

Perhaps the coolest thing about the weekend (so far!) is the fact that I've met not one but TWO members of pizzamaking.com --- Larry Thezaman and Lou Hot sawce at Don Antonio and Paulie Gee's respectively. These meetings were totally random, and I believe serendipitous. Both Larry and Lou were fantastic and obvious devotees of the craft. Needless to say, pm.com came up right away and the pizza connection was very strong.

I have had numerous "random events" like these throughout my life. Maybe when I'm 90 it will all come together in some Dickensian way and make sense. For now I'm just enjoying the ride!

Looking forward to meeting more of you!

What a great thing this site is!!

John K
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 11:33:26 PM by Serpentelli »
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline jeffereynelson

Re: Small World
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 11:45:32 PM »
Very neat. Which place was your favorite?

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 11:55:41 PM »
Very neat. Which place was your favorite?
Jeff,

All of them have unique characteristics that I enjoyed immensely. I'm not really into the review thing. Others have done it so well here already.  But I am glad I got to all of them.  Biking from Wall Street to Brooklyn via the Williamsburg bridge was a blast. Citibike let's you "borrow" bikes for 30 mins at a pop, and you just turn 'em in at the closest citibike rack. Biking to Paulie Gee's Made me feel 10% better about eating our 4th pizza there. 

John K

scott123

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 05:34:15 AM »
You guys are all in New York and not looking me up? What the heck?  ;D

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 09:15:19 AM »
You guys are all in New York and not looking me up? What the heck?  ;D

Scott,

Yours was THE first name Paulie mentioned! :)

I do hope we can meet sometime!

As I mentioned above, my pm.com meetings were completely unplanned! At Don Antonio by Starita I recognized Larry's face and went up to him to introduce myself. Obviously somewhat confused at first (probably not realizing he's a pm.com "celebrity") he was the NICEST guy I could imagine. At Paulie's the waitress seated us right next to 2 guys, one of which was talking about Pizza ovens, lardo, and guanciale, so I asked who he was (Lou aka hot sawce)and we proceeded to talk more "shop"... He graciously shared some of his delicious guanciale pie with me and Hunter!

John K
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 09:42:34 AM by Serpentelli »

scott123

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 10:23:11 AM »
Yours was THE first name Paulie mentioned! :)

Was there cursing involved?  I hope children weren't present  ;D

Seriously, though, I'm not implying any kind of "let's all go to NY and not tell Scott" conspiracy, but, next time, drop me a line.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 10:26:46 AM by scott123 »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 10:40:50 AM »
Very cool thing doing that with your son John....bet you guys had a blast man!   8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 01:17:51 PM »
Was there cursing involved?  I hope children weren't present  ;D

Seriously, though, I'm not implying any kind of "let's all go to NY and not tell Scott" conspiracy, but, next time, drop me a line.

Scott,

I/we definitely will!

And, no, there was no cursing involved. Paulie thinks very highly of you.  :)
Very cool thing doing that with your son John....bet you guys had a blast man!   8)

Bob,

I am blessed to have a son who is an "old soul" and a great eating/traveling companion. We are enjoying our pizza travels immensely!

John K

pizzapan