Author Topic: Standard Pizza Co. Mobile WFO  (Read 4066 times)

Offline dhorst

Re: Standard Pizza Co. Mobile WFO
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2013, 12:16:12 AM »
Dhorst, what kind of pies are they doing? From the pics I saw on their blog, looks like a thin crust?

The place in the Finger Lakes are a very thin crust--or at least they were last year.  Almost crackery and cooled off in a heartbeat from the breeze off the lake.  Good quality ingredients, but the crust wasn't my favorite.  I would love to see them go the Neapolitan route.  She referred to her dough as high hydration, but a lot of the hydration was in the form of olive oil.  I do like the simplicity of their menu.  It's focused, which I think some places lose sight of and try to offer too many choices.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 12:17:49 AM by dhorst »

Offline JimmyMak

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2013, 05:27:58 PM »
Thanks for the info & great looking pies & operation. Have fun.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2013, 09:23:07 PM »
love the look of your pies!!!!! can you tell me where you got that beautiful wood table you are serving off of?also, did to retro fit your prep tables with those over sized casters? another question was this a buffet setup? last ,are you using the artisan dough trays?thanks for any information you can give me. larry

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2013, 09:31:37 PM »
Great looking pizza Matt! I really like your logo too.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline SPCo.

• Standard Pizza Co.
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2013, 10:25:11 PM »
love the look of your pies!!!!! can you tell me where you got that beautiful wood table you are serving off of?also, did to retro fit your prep tables with those over sized casters? another question was this a buffet setup? last ,are you using the artisan dough trays?thanks for any information you can give me. larry

Thanks! The table comes from Pottery Barn. We have had a lot of work done on our fridges. We actually had a fabrication company build all new steel frames for them and weld those casters on. We were tired of breaking the tiny little casters off all the time. It is a buffet setup we always do buffet. We are using the Artisan Trays, they work great for us.

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2013, 08:24:54 PM »
Do you fit 6 doughballs in those Artisan trays? Just out of curiosity, why would you go with the Artisan trays as opposed to full trays? Thanks in advance!
Chaz

Offline SPCo.

• Standard Pizza Co.
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2013, 11:34:50 PM »
Do you fit 6 doughballs in those Artisan trays? Just out of curiosity, why would you go with the Artisan trays as opposed to full trays? Thanks in advance!

We do get 6 in the artisan trays. We use those because we do a cold ferment for a certain period of time, and when we max out our kitchen fridges the artisan trays can fit in our portable units with no problem.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2013, 12:02:46 PM »
You do all buffet style service. How long do let your pizza sit before you remove it from the line? Are the tiles under your pies warned to extend the heating times . I have a real hard time with this issue. I do not like to let if sit more than 10 minutes. Yesterday we did a party for 50 and it was a buffet they showed up from their meeting 15 minutes late . I was not happy serving the first 15 pies. Any thoughts?

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2013, 01:44:25 PM »
cook 5 very light, prestretch5 , and go for it  when the crown arrives  :chef:
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2013, 02:42:53 PM »
thanks john i guess I'm being to neurotic on freshness, a light cook oven finish beats cold fresh any day.

Offline SPCo.

• Standard Pizza Co.
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2013, 03:36:24 PM »
You do all buffet style service. How long do let your pizza sit before you remove it from the line? Are the tiles under your pies warned to extend the heating times . I have a real hard time with this issue. I do not like to let if sit more than 10 minutes. Yesterday we did a party for 50 and it was a buffet they showed up from their meeting 15 minutes late . I was not happy serving the first 15 pies. Any thoughts?

We always do all buffet style service. Our pizzas rarely sit for more than a few minutes. We are capable of producing 100 an hour with a full crew, so even a large crowd is some what easy to keep up with. We do not do heat lamps or anything like that. The tiles are simply to look nice and keep our table from getting scorch marks. The pans tend to get warm after a few pizzas have been on them. The idea of having some prestreched and ready to go is a decent one from 'JConk007' we have done that a few times, however if you do not keep a close eye on them, they tend to crust over from increased airflow.

We are very upfront with our clients, in the respect that we are not a sit down type service. We can not feed everybody at once, it is much more of a casual pace, there will be the occasional line. We do let them know that upfront, and as long as we are honest we have never run into any problems.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2013, 04:38:03 PM »
Thanks, that is my biggest concern with buffet . Yesterday after the first 15 we were able to keep nice hot pies out with no wait . The first 15 could have been hotter but no complaints.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2013, 05:39:28 PM »
We are very upfront with our clients, in the respect that we are not a sit down type service. We can not feed everybody at once, it is much more of a casual pace, there will be the occasional line. We do let them know that upfront, and as long as we are honest we have never run into any problems.

This is an incredibly valuable piece of advice that is applicable to almost anyone in the service industry! Communicate, set expectations up front, and be honest!

Success will follow, as is the case here!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline SPCo.

• Standard Pizza Co.
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2013, 10:26:30 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.509763782449904.1073741826.101943209898632&type=1

Dan and Melissa Photography out of Traverse City, MI took these pics of our setup at a wedding a few weeks ago. Some of the best pics of our setup yet. The pizzas look a little dry, don't know why. But it will give you an idea of how we setup.

Thanks,
Matt

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2013, 10:50:13 AM »
The pizzas look a little dry, don't know why.

Are you using a dry cheese (parmigiano, pecorino, etc.)  on the pies? That can make them look dry - particularly if you have a heavy hand with it.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2013, 11:43:26 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.509763782449904.1073741826.101943209898632&type=1

Dan and Melissa Photography out of Traverse City, MI took these pics of our setup at a wedding a few weeks ago. Some of the best pics of our setup yet. The pizzas look a little dry, don't know why. But it will give you an idea of how we setup.

Thanks,
Matt

Matt the setup looks great --- very upscale-- and I think the pies look less dry when the photos are enlarged.

Looks like you have a 14-15ish year old helper? --- My son (almost 14) is itching to do some sort of pizza business venture and I'm hoping to help him realize that (on a much smaller scale) sometime soon! How involved in the process is your "helper" at this stage in his professional pizza career?

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline SPCo.

• Standard Pizza Co.
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2013, 09:21:57 PM »
Matt the setup looks great --- very upscale-- and I think the pies look less dry when the photos are enlarged.

Looks like you have a 14-15ish year old helper? --- My son (almost 14) is itching to do some sort of pizza business venture and I'm hoping to help him realize that (on a much smaller scale) sometime soon! How involved in the process is your "helper" at this stage in his professional pizza career?

John K

Hey John,
Our staff is comprised of mostly 14, 15 and 16 year olds. I was very, VERY hesitant at first to have them on staff. While the learning curve with them is a bit longer than a skilled kitchen worker, they have done a fabulous job. They don't have any real responsibilities, business wise, but they are in charge of topping all the pizzas, loading them in the oven, cutting and serving. A couple of them can even bake if need be.

Before each service I will make one of each pizza on the menu, to show them quantiy, quality and presentation. We will discuss the ingredients for the night, try anything that might be new on the menu is if asked by a client they can explain it, and then it's off to the races.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Matt

Offline SPCo.

• Standard Pizza Co.
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2013, 09:24:02 PM »
Are you using a dry cheese (parmigiano, pecorino, etc.)  on the pies? That can make them look dry - particularly if you have a heavy hand with it.

I thought that too, not really any on those pies. Think maybe just they way the pictures were taken. Guess it's a moot point since this crowd was comprised mostly of long distance runners and ate everything we brought and then some!