Author Topic: Standard Pizza Co. Mobile WFO  (Read 4128 times)

Offline SPCo.

• Standard Pizza Co.
Standard Pizza Co. Mobile WFO
« on: July 27, 2013, 12:17:25 AM »
Hey Pizza People,
Have been lurking for quite some time, and have really been enjoying this forum. It is awesome to watch the voracious comments between people about flour, what is VPN and what is not. The passion is intense and I love it.

Anyways Standard Pizza Co. is a mobile WFO operation operating in western Michigan. We have a Maine Wood Heat Le Panyol oven and absolutely love it. We have been in business now for 3 years and the growth has been exciting. We cook at 900, stay very traditional VPN as far as the crust, the integrity, cook times and temps are concerned, but like to push the envelope with toppings. Here are a few pics of the setup and pizza, thanks again for all the great discussions, and we will try not to lurk so much anymore.

Offline jeffereynelson

Re: Standard Pizza Co. Mobile WFO
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 12:19:28 AM »
Very nice. Good look oven and pizzas. Seems like you have been a member for a little while, nice you finally posted some good pics!

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 11:13:13 AM »
From the looks of those pics I'd say you are making the best commercial Neapolitan in the state of Michigan.  Well done.  How does the west side respond to Neapolitan?
-Jeff

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 11:25:42 AM »
Great setup you have there. What do you have covering your oven, is it stainless steel? How many pizzas can you cook at one time in that oven?  The pizzas look great, BTW. 

Offline SPCo.

• Standard Pizza Co.
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 11:39:32 AM »
From the looks of those pics I'd say you are making the best commercial Neapolitan in the state of Michigan.  Well done.  How does the west side respond to Neapolitan?

Thanks for the compliment. We like to think we are up there. A lot of time, testing and practice has got us to where we are now, but there is always room for improvement.

The west side is responding well, there are a handful of restaurants here that have 'WFO' of some sort, so people are used to that. That being a 600deg, 5-6 min bake. When they see what we are doing in 70 secs and then taste it their eyes get all big, that's the best part.

Offline SPCo.

• Standard Pizza Co.
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 11:41:14 AM »
Great setup you have there. What do you have covering your oven, is it stainless steel? How many pizzas can you cook at one time in that oven?  The pizzas look great, BTW.

The oven is covered in Copper, which makes it an amazing show piece, but also a lot of work to keep polished. I can't take credit for that, my business partner does most of that. We can do 4 at a time,but are more comfortable with 3.

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 10:28:56 PM »
Excellent setup and gorgeous pies.  Thanks for sharing.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 11:18:31 PM »
Welcome from a fellow mobile operator!
could you put up  a detailed pic or explain,  how your oven rotates??  I Just Love that feature!
pies and set uo loook great !
JOhn
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline dhorst

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 07:19:31 AM »
I knew right off the bat that your oven was from Maine.  Here, in CNY, there is a copper oven from the same place as yours at a winery in the Finger Lakes. 
http://www.slowfoodonthego.com/blog/oven/  They have been briefly covered on Slice for better pics.  They aren't doing Neapolitan, but are certainly producing some fine pies featuring locally sourced ingredients.  I do wish they would go the Neapolitan route, but hey, I need to speak with the owner and see what her vision is.  I've talked with her once and she is most charming.  The amount of olive oil in her dough was astounding.  But that was last year.  Looks like a road trip needs to be done to see what has changed.
Best wishes to you SPCo.  I hope to some day enjoy some of your pizza.  Can I write my pizza mileage off on my taxes in the name of research?

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 07:26:07 AM »
beautiful oven and pies

Offline SPCo.

• Standard Pizza Co.
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 10:13:33 AM »
Welcome from a fellow mobile operator!
could you put up  a detailed pic or explain,  how your oven rotates??  I Just Love that feature!
pies and set uo loook great !
JOhn

It is much like a train track. The oven sits on a steel frame, and inset in that frame are rollers that sit on a circle track allowing the oven to rotate 360. It would be hard to get a pic for you, as it is very well hidden. It is all one unit, and weighs about 4200lbs. Travels like a tank, and isn't the easiest to manuver on that short double axle trailer. However it is the sturdiest thing on wheels and will outlast all of us.

Offline SPCo.

• Standard Pizza Co.
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 10:20:27 AM »
I knew right off the bat that your oven was from Maine.  Here, in CNY, there is a copper oven from the same place as yours at a winery in the Finger Lakes. 
http://www.slowfoodonthego.com/blog/oven/  They have been briefly covered on Slice for better pics.  They aren't doing Neapolitan, but are certainly producing some fine pies featuring locally sourced ingredients.  I do wish they would go the Neapolitan route, but hey, I need to speak with the owner and see what her vision is.  I've talked with her once and she is most charming.  The amount of olive oil in her dough was astounding.  But that was last year.  Looks like a road trip needs to be done to see what has changed.
Best wishes to you SPCo.  I hope to some day enjoy some of your pizza.  Can I write my pizza mileage off on my taxes in the name of research?

I think my business partner may have been there, and said the same thing. It is neat to see the many ways people use their Maine Wood Heat Ovens. They can accomplish many things, but I think getting it blazing hot and crankiness out amazing neo pie after pie is the only way to go.

On a totally different note, I can't believe the dHorst is commenting on my oven and pies. As a long time lurker on here and slice, I have gleaned a lot from you. Most specifically the use of Aleppo pepper, which has turned into on of our most popular pizzas. We call it the 'Bad Santa' topped with red sauce, pepperoni, Aleppo pepper, pesto and fresh Moz. So thank you for that, and if you are ever in West Michigan, pizza is on me!

Offline dhorst

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 05:31:09 AM »
I think my business partner may have been there, and said the same thing. It is neat to see the many ways people use their Maine Wood Heat Ovens. They can accomplish many things, but I think getting it blazing hot and crankiness out amazing neo pie after pie is the only way to go.

On a totally different note, I can't believe the dHorst is commenting on my oven and pies. As a long time lurker on here and slice, I have gleaned a lot from you. Most specifically the use of Aleppo pepper, which has turned into on of our most popular pizzas. We call it the 'Bad Santa' topped with red sauce, pepperoni, Aleppo pepper, pesto and fresh Moz. So thank you for that, and if you are ever in West Michigan, pizza is on me!
"the dHorst" is just a nutty Aleppo obsessed and pizza and bread enthusiast.  I am flattered by your comment though.  I hope to make it to Michigan and if you're ever in CNY, please let me know.

Offline derricktung

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 08:49:20 AM »
Beautiful oven and pies!  Do you have any public events that my wife and I can come out to try?

Do I see White Lime pizza on the top of your menu?  Interesting...

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 04:19:17 PM »
Wow it looks fantastic, the look of the oven and the pies.
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline JimmyMak

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 06:42:29 PM »
Just wondering how much wood you go thru maintaining that temp

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 09:00:55 PM »
Enthusiastically agreeing with everything good that has been said about your oven and your pizza skills. You could have easily sold me one of your pizzas had your mobile oven been on my route from Juliana's to Forcella in NYC last week!! We were biking that route, so we definitely would have stopped to check out the CopperDome, if nothing else!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline SPCo.

• Standard Pizza Co.
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2013, 09:47:26 PM »
Beautiful oven and pies!  Do you have any public events that my wife and I can come out to try?

Do I see White Lime pizza on the top of your menu?  Interesting...

Our next public event will be in October in Spring Lake, Mi. At an event called VanderFest, held at VanderMill. It's an awesome party with many if Michigan's finest winery's, breweries and cider makers. If you can make it up, it is a great time.

The pizza is actually called the 'White Limo' but the white lime title sounds like a challenge.

Offline SPCo.

• Standard Pizza Co.
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2013, 09:49:39 PM »
Just wondering how much wood you go thru maintaining that temp

We have never really weighed it out, getting it up to temp takes about 4 hours of a good roaring fire. However once it is up to temp it maintains very well on minimum wood, I would say about 25lbs an event. It also holds temp extremely well. Will still have some heat in it a week later.

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2013, 10:09:41 PM »
Dhorst, what kind of pies are they doing? From the pics I saw on their blog, looks like a thin crust?
Chaz

pizzapan