Author Topic: No longer impressed with Anthony's Coal Fired  (Read 692 times)

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
No longer impressed with Anthony's Coal Fired
« on: July 27, 2013, 05:20:55 PM »
So, my pizza journey began last fall during a trip to New York City to see a taping of SNL.

I had some great coal-fired pizza in NYC, and came home craving good pizza.  We found an Anthony's Coal Fire Pizza had oppened recently and paid a visit.  I really liked it and was happy to have something besides the local Italian-American neighborhood pizza joint with the big slices of greasy pepperoni pizza.

About that time I started my quest for making my own pizza and have generally been following the Varasano method in my modified grill.

Dough has been the Varasano method with KABF and Caputo 00 at about 75/25% ratio.  Using an Ischia perferment culture and a cold-ferment of about 3-4 days.    Sauce has been immersion-blended Cento Certified with a little garlic powder, olive oil and kosher salt.   Cheese has been imported buffalo mozzarella.  Some fresh basil from the garden and a little EVOO drizzled on top.  With my modified gas grill (lined with corderite and bricks) I've managed cook times between 2 and 2 1/2 minutes at about 750-800 degrees.

My pizza has been pretty damn good and I have a number of fanatics between family, friends, and my son's nurses.

Today, we went back to Anthony's and I was severely disappointed.  What was once really spectacular to me, is now just bland.  I didn't like the rather flat and dull crust.  No spring to the dough.  No flavor.    The sauce was very tart and acidic.  It had nice char and was cooked somewhat properly, but I guess nothing beats homemade.

Here is today's pizza from Anthony's Coal Fired

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
Re: No longer impressed with Anthony's Coal Fired
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 05:24:23 PM »
Thanks to EVERYONE for all of their contribution to Pizzamaking.com.  I've definitely learned to make great pizza.

Homemade is MUCH better...

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 06:29:18 PM »
Qarl, your homemade pizza does look better than Anthony's coal fired pizza. 

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 07:08:56 PM »
Nice pizza. Sometimes, no matter how much I like my own pizza I get in the mood for someone elses pizza.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 07:15:27 PM »
I'll second the ixneah on the on the Anothonys who recently open in my home town place is packed
I posted how dissapointing it was
But like you I once I started doin my own thing it a slice here there. And everywhere  :drool:
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

pizzapan