Author Topic: "Real" Tomato Pie  (Read 2009 times)

Offline Bob1

Re: "Real" Tomato Pie
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2013, 07:12:23 PM »
Dave,
My place usually puts the cheese on when you purchase it, but it is cooked in the sauce also.  If they put a 1/2 dozen 1/4 sheets out for casual pickup they usually put a little cheese on them.  Some people ask for more.  My daughter does not like to much so I pick them up as is.  We have another place called Conshohoken Bakery and there sauce is thinner and they add another spice to theirs.  If I recall they do not add cheese at all but do include Pecorino in the sauce.

Bob

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2013, 07:49:24 PM »
At Roma, they must be prepared early in the day, when you walk in there's a shelf behind the counter and the boxed pies are stacked and ready to go, no special orders as far as I know. I think they sell so many that they have to operate that way, trying to fill special orders would not be easy to do. I don't think the cheese is in the sauce, I'd say it's sprinkled on, and I don't think the sauce has any spices, although the last time I got them there might have been some garlic powder or garlic salt added.
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2013, 10:43:19 PM »
here's my first attempt at a Roma Tomato Pie clone

Offline redox

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2013, 12:00:57 AM »
here's my first attempt at a Roma Tomato Pie clone
It looks really good, how did it taste?

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2013, 12:07:45 AM »
That pie came out very good, almost the same way they taste from the Roma in Utica. The crust was a little crisper then a Roma, but I prefer my crust crispy.

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2013, 08:04:00 AM »
those other pies in the background were cheese pies with sausage, mushrooms, roasted red peppers and about 10 different cheeses including pot cheese, damned good stuff, will be making those again.

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2013, 05:18:45 PM »
here are some pictures from a pie I brought home today from Utica's Roma Sausage & Deli.

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2013, 05:20:47 PM »
and

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2013, 05:33:18 PM »
That definitely looks like the real thing. 

Offline dhorst

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2013, 05:42:18 PM »
here are some pictures from a pie I brought home today from Utica's Roma Sausage & Deli.

The pizza chef is a traveling booby prize to be passed around pizza enthusiasts.  Someone I knew found it when they were flipping a house and gave it to me.  I cleaned him up and he resided in my kitchen for a couple of months before being delivered to DMC when we met in Utica for Tomato Pie and exchanged a dachshund who needed transportation to his new home in Rochester.  I believe he's a good omen even if he is bit goofy looking!

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2013, 05:55:35 PM »
I love the pizza chef mascot, he may have a permanent home! :angel:

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2013, 06:01:18 PM »
That definitely looks like the real thing.

This is my second round of Utica tomato pie this week, I picked one up on Monday while traveling to northern NY for vacation, and I stopped again today on the way home. The pies are thick but the dough remains light and easy on the stomach. They are loaded with a rich, sweet tomato sauce, which I believe to be a brand from Utica called Cora. A generous dusting of romano gives that something extra which really adds to the finished product. A freakin' bargain for $8 a pie!