Author Topic: Modified Caltech5 Dough  (Read 1231 times)

Offline Chef Magnus

Modified Caltech5 Dough
« on: July 28, 2013, 02:04:46 AM »
 100%   flour <= 12% protein
61.1%   water
8.67%   milk powder
3.90%   olive oil
3.67%   honey
2.67%   potato Flour
2.41%   salt
0.39%   IDY
0.25%   Citric Acid

I have the dough mixed up and bench fermenting 3 hours then going to divide it into 260 g balls to retard in the fridge for 48-72 hours. I will pull it from the fridge 2-3 hours before I plan to bake the pizzas.

I will start the fire in the outdoor pizza oven about 3-4 hours before baking time as well so the oven has a chance to soak up a lot of heat. I will be trying my baking steels in the outdoor oven for this bake as well. I am hoping for about a 2-4 minute bake time for these pizzas. In the past the bottom of the pizzas was done before the top was finished. I am hoping by placing the 1/2" steels a few inches from the top of the pizza will cook the toppings in about the same time as the bottom of the crust. I am going to heat the over the top steels with coals from hardwood charcoals. In the past I have lifted the pizzas into the dome of the oven to toast the tops. This traps a lot of moisture into the pizzas. I am hoping by heating the steels to 700-900F that I can cook the toppings in the same amount of time as the bottom.

For cheese I am using a blend of whole milk mozz, provel, provo, fontina, and pinches of home pulled fresh mozz. I also sprinkle a little pecorino romano at the end of a bake.

Tomatoes are san marzanos that I grew last summer. I canned them with a couple basil leaves, salt, and citric acid. They are diced and packed. I put them thru a food mill to prep for pizza, this removes seeds, peels, and tough bits. I adjust seasoning with salt, sugar, red wine vinegar, and add FGBP...

I just got out of the hospital so this is celebration of sorts. This is our first pizza party outside this summer. We just got permitted to make a wood fired oven that will be attached to the side of our kitchen. It will have insulated brick lined doors on each end so it can be used both indoors and outdoors for pizzas and other baking....The bummer of the permit is that I have to tear down my other oven. My wife did find a case where a gent had a clay oven as a educational tool in  his yard...

Chef 

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
Re: Modified Caltech5 Dough
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 02:26:00 AM »
Your formula looks really interesting Magnus. I would guess it is a very tender dough due to the milk powder, olive oil, and potato flour.  Thanks for posting your progress.

Regards,

TinRoof

Offline Chef Magnus

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 06:52:53 PM »
It is a very tender dough but the use of the hot oven makes the skin super crisp so it actually crackles as it cools. I sometimes brush butter onto the crust to give it a bit more flavor and keep it from cracking....

Chef

Offline parallei

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 07:42:06 PM »
Why is it named the "Caltech5 Dough"?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 10:11:20 PM by parallei »

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 11:33:26 PM »
Why is it named the "Caltech5 Dough"?

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4879.0.html

I've made this a couple times. Makes a killer sicilian/teglia dough, too.
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

pizzapan