Author Topic: Tonight's pie was a winner  (Read 4199 times)

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
Re: Tonight's pie was a winner
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2013, 06:03:31 AM »
Thanks,,, Now I have a serious craving for black olives... :drool:
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Online pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2013, 11:28:47 AM »
Thanks,,, Now I have a serious craving for black olives... :drool:

Your welcome!  Never tried them whole before but now I can't stop.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Online pythonic

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2013, 08:32:07 AM »

Yup - that was the plan. I will have it on tuesday or wednesday instead.

Baking tonight?

Online corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2013, 10:44:21 AM »
looks fantastic. i like the nice golden/browing. sometimes people I serve (wife & kids) like it this way, over the char that I tend to look for.
the preferement is a great method. I will try your formulation, using KAAP....

My wife grew up in Mamaroneck NY, & when I bake pies like this, she says they remind her of Sal's, which is mentioned in Ed Levine's book....

-clay

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2013, 10:49:17 AM »
Just a little food for thought on IDY v ADY. IDY is best suited for doughs which need to be ready in a hurry, that's the whole idea behind instant yeast, fast action. In a dough which will be cold ferment for a period of time, IDY really isn't necessary, and ADY might actually be a better choice. Both will work, I've used both, but lately I have returned to using ADY for all my doughs which will cold ferment over days, and that includes my NY style pizza doughs. ADY will not proof as quickly, and since quick proofing is not needed in a long cold ferment, I think that using ADY makes more sense. Just my thought, you're free to do as you see fit. :angel:
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2013, 11:04:47 AM »
Just a little food for thought on IDY v ADY. IDY is best suited for doughs which need to be ready in a hurry, that's the whole idea behind instant yeast, fast action. In a dough which will be cold ferment for a period of time, IDY really isn't necessary, and ADY might actually be a better choice. Both will work, I've used both, but lately I have returned to using ADY for all my doughs which will cold ferment over days, and that includes my NY style pizza doughs. ADY will not proof as quickly, and since quick proofing is not needed in a long cold ferment, I think that using ADY makes more sense. Just my thought, you're free to do as you see fit. :angel:
Dave,

What you say about IDY and ADY for cold fermented doughs is not out of order, at least not from the perspective of the folks who make yeast products. See, for example, Reply 13 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10707.msg95811.html#msg95811.

Peter

Offline slybarman

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2013, 11:23:11 AM »

Baking tonight?

I intended to bake it last night,  but I just did not have the energy to do it.  My wife is gone and I have the kiddies on my own. She is back tonight, so maybe when I get home.  If not tonight, I think I am looking at a re-ball.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2013, 11:35:04 AM »

Yes but in the big scope of things...among all the variables one has to worry about, while true, it makes very little difference in which you choose.   And IDY doesn't necessarily have to work "instantly" either depending on the amount used and water temperature.   I would use whichever I had on hand and not worry about going out of my way to find one or the other regardless of length of fermentation time. 

Chau

Online pythonic

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2013, 01:33:28 PM »
looks fantastic. i like the nice golden/browing. sometimes people I serve (wife & kids) like it this way, over the char that I tend to look for.
the preferement is a great method. I will try your formulation, using KAAP....

My wife grew up in Mamaroneck NY, & when I bake pies like this, she says they remind her of Sal's, which is mentioned in Ed Levine's book....

-clay

Clay,

Not sure if you saw or not but the revised (IDY) yeast amount is .5%.  Reply back with your KAAP attempt.  I have done this with KABF and it turns out pretty good as well.  Post pics if u can.

Nate

Online pythonic

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2013, 01:36:23 PM »
I intended to bake it last night,  but I just did not have the energy to do it.  My wife is gone and I have the kiddies on my own. She is back tonight, so maybe when I get home.  If not tonight, I think I am looking at a re-ball.

How is the dough looking?

Offline slybarman

« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2013, 01:43:51 PM »
How is the dough looking?

It was looking a bit underfermented yesterday, but a couple hours on the counter may have fixed that.

Online pythonic

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2013, 10:11:35 AM »
It was looking a bit underfermented yesterday, but a couple hours on the counter may have fixed that.

So how did it turn out?  Give the correct formulation a try again.  I still feel bad for messing up that IDY %.

Nate

Offline slybarman

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2013, 10:39:03 AM »
No worries. Life got in the way last night, though the dough looked about perfect. I am going to bake it tonight, hopefully it is not over blown.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2013, 08:28:16 AM »
Made the pies last night.  The dough was extremely easy to open - probably the result of its 4 days in the fridge.  I baked it in the Blackstone.  I did not get the sort of micro blistering you got. The crumb was very good,  except where I had man handled it. Overall,  I would say the crust did have more flavor than my regular recipe. I am not sure what role the preferment plays in that versus the longer than usual rise.  I'd say it was definitely worth a second try.  Thanks.

Online pythonic

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2013, 01:25:07 PM »
Made the pies last night.  The dough was extremely easy to open - probably the result of its 4 days in the fridge.  I baked it in the Blackstone.  I did not get the sort of micro blistering you got. The crumb was very good,  except where I had man handled it. Overall,  I would say the crust did have more flavor than my regular recipe. I am not sure what role the preferment plays in that versus the longer than usual rise.  I'd say it was definitely worth a second try.  Thanks.

Yes give it another shot.  Keep an eye on that dough.  It ferments real fast.

Offline hockman4357

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2013, 10:03:46 AM »
So, the actual recipe for this pizza is as follows (please correct me if I'm wrong):

100% - Hi Gluten Flour
58.2% - Water
2% - Salt, olive oil and sugar
.5% - IDY

What thickness factor do you use?

I really like the look of the pizzas baked with this recipe and want to give it a try with a steel plate bake.

Online pythonic

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2013, 08:43:17 PM »
So, the actual recipe for this pizza is as follows (please correct me if I'm wrong):

100% - Hi Gluten Flour
58.2% - Water
2% - Salt, olive oil and sugar
.5% - IDY

What thickness factor do you use?

I really like the look of the pizzas baked with this recipe and want to give it a try with a steel plate bake.

Yes. .08 TF

Offline slybarman

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2013, 10:47:23 PM »
Trying your preferment again today. Do you find the dough is a bit stickier when made this way when you go to ball it? Also, what does your preferment look like and what consistency is it after it sits for 12 hours?

These are my little babies heading to the cooler. :)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 03:36:53 PM by slybarman »

Offline hockman4357

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2013, 12:03:02 PM »
Slybarman,

I like the plastic containers that you are letting your dough rise is.  Do you know the brand of the containers and where you purchased them?

Offline slybarman

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2013, 01:02:39 PM »
1/2 are ziploc brand and 1/2 are store brand. All from the local grocery store. Punch a pinhole in the lid to let the gasses out  or the lids will pop off.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 03:37:34 PM by slybarman »