Author Topic: Pizza while camping?  (Read 2300 times)

Offline Deets

• I Love Pizza!
Pizza while camping?
« on: July 29, 2013, 12:42:52 PM »
Hello Pizza lovers!
Im hoping you can help me out with a little project I am trying to accomplish.  :pizza: I am a big time wilderness camp lover and recently had an idea to make some homemade pizza out in the middle of the woods. I like to eat very well when I am out in the woods, and every year I try to come up with something new and fun. This year its Pizza.

My plan is to buy a large rectangular pizza stone and place it over a camp fire grill like the one below. I am hoping to make Neapolitan style pizza.

My questions are:

1) Has anyone done this before?

2) Will the stone get hot enough to cook a thin crust pizza with out the convection from an oven?

3) I've never made my own Pizza dough before. Is there a recommended recipe that I can make a couple days before I go, that would keep in a cooler with ice?

Thanks for any help you can offer. I'll have to post some pics after the weekend if it works out.

Cheers,

Deets

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
Re: Pizza while camping?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 01:00:28 PM »
Deets,
camp out pizza sounds fantastic!  that would be really fun. 
i don't think you'll be able to make it work with a stone as the top will never cook no matter how hot you get the stone.  you could do grill pizza though.  just put the stretched dough right on your grill, let it cook a little, flip it over and quickly dress it and pull it when the bottom is done.  you might try a top of some sort to help melt the cheese better. 
take pictures! 
bill

Offline Deets

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 01:35:22 PM »
Deets,
camp out pizza sounds fantastic!  that would be really fun. 
i don't think you'll be able to make it work with a stone as the top will never cook no matter how hot you get the stone.  you could do grill pizza though.  just put the stretched dough right on your grill, let it cook a little, flip it over and quickly dress it and pull it when the bottom is done.  you might try a top of some sort to help melt the cheese better. 
take pictures! 
bill

Thanks for the reply, this is what I feared. Originally I was thinking of just making the fire big enough on one side that the flames are twice as high as the grill, thus providing radiant heat on the top. Then it would be up to me to turn the pie to make sure I don't get burning on the crust.
 My other option is getting a small stone that will fit on my portable BBQ with a lid. I know this would work, but I really like the idea of a wood fire though. There's just something about cookin over a fire.  :chef: I'm gonna have to think of some options for maybe a heat shield to help with the cooking process. Not giving up yet >:D

Offline dhorst

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 02:05:56 PM »
Check out slide 15 from this MPM on slice.  Anne Marie did a pizza in a Dutch oven  over the campfire.  I think it came out pretty good!
http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/04/my-pie-monday-mootzaleppo-bbq-brisket-dutch-oven-pizza-and-more-slideshow.html?ref=search#show-235045

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 10:01:35 PM »
I've talked with people who have used a dutch oven to make pizza in the bush.  google it, or look in a dutch oven cookbook.  you can trust me, i lived in Calgary for 12 years!   :chef:

Offline Deets

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 10:55:22 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys!! I do a lot of camp cooking with a dutch oven already  :drool:

Might have to pick up a bigger one to make it work a little better. I also have a stainless griddle that fits in my BBQ. I'm sure that would do in a pinch.

I'll post some pics when I get back from the weekend :pizza:

Cheers :chef:

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 11:43:20 PM »
From Omid's wonderful website:

This is possibly a Renaissance baker, baking her products in a pan held over open fire. This is probably one way the pre-modern pizzas were baked. (The origin of this image is unknown.)

Offline Deets

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 12:38:26 AM »
From Omid's wonderful website:

This is possibly a Renaissance baker, baking her products in a pan held over open fire. This is probably one way the pre-modern pizzas were baked. (The origin of this image is unknown.)

So your saying I need a big boobed baker to make pizza for me? Now why didn't I think of that before?!!  :-D

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 01:40:22 AM »
I don't think a griddle will give good results as there is no heat source to cook the top...  At least you can flip pancakes!

Another option is to build an oven from bricks or stone, but I don't know how feasible that actually is for you haha

Offline gnomad

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 08:41:18 AM »
Having had decent success with a cast iron skillet on the stovetop followed by broiler, I am thinking you might be able to place the skillet down in the coals, bank them up the sides, and have a heated stone above.  I don't know if the stone above could trap/reflect enough heat back onto the top of the pie though.

within the lehman thread, there is a post where I think pete used rocks as the stone, this could be adapted for a true roughing it/rustic experience.

In the end, I would bet you have to go with cooking an undressed shell on both sides a bit and then dressing.  Or perhaps a calzone.

regardless, food tastes so much better camping that a half cooked pizza soup in the woods probably beats anything at home

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 10:40:44 AM »
If you used Mighty Pizza Oven, http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19893.0.html You could certainly make pizza camping. Or you could make a home made version. In that thread, I think, there is talk about how to use a large pan with some modifications. I'm looking at making one from sheet metal.

Camping pizza would be awesome.

Good luck,
jb

Offline kevinbrown22

• Pizza, not life or death much more important.
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 10:43:59 AM »
I would just take a Blackstone out camping with me.
Science, better than making stuff up since well forever.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 03:41:17 PM »
Deets;
As an ardent deer hunter I find myself out in the boonies more often not, and with my background in food, you can guess who ends up being the camp cook. I've made decent pizza (considering the circumstances) any number of times using nothing but my steel frying pan. Dough from scratch, butter or margarine in the pan, press the dough into the pan (after 18-hours cold fermentation), then apply sauce of slices of fresh tomato, followed by cheese, pepperoni, sausage, onion, and green peppers. Top heat is provided by the lid set to allow for moisture to escape during baking. The rest of the guys all identify it as "pizza" so it hasn't lost identity, and to date I've never had any complaints, except occasionally they complain that there wasn't enough, so it really isn't all that bad. It's also a great way to use up camp left overs too. By the way, that same frying pan is also used to bake dessert. Cake from a box mix, mixed with water, an extra egg, and pieces of canned fruit. The cake bakes while we're eating dinner and putting camp in order, by then the cake is finished baking and has cooled tolerably for serving. Again, no complaints.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Deets

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 03:44:58 PM »
Ok Guys and Gals, so Ive been mulling this over in my head and I think I've found a solution.  >:D

I do have a bunch of refractory brick laying around my yard. My thinking is, I will use the grill in the picture I originally posted as my support base which I can place a pizza stone on top. Then, I'll place bricks horizontally along the perimeter of the grill to act as a support for another grill to sit on top. Once I put another grill on top, I can line bricks on top to enclose around the pizza stone giving me an full oven.  :chef:

If this doesn't work, I'll try the dutch oven way i guess.  :-\

Wish me luck!!! I'll let you know how she goes either way.   ;)

Offline Deets

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 03:55:17 PM »
Deets;
As an ardent deer hunter I find myself out in the boonies more often not, and with my background in food, you can guess who ends up being the camp cook. I've made decent pizza (considering the circumstances) any number of times using nothing but my steel frying pan. Dough from scratch, butter or margarine in the pan, press the dough into the pan (after 18-hours cold fermentation), then apply sauce of slices of fresh tomato, followed by cheese, pepperoni, sausage, onion, and green peppers. Top heat is provided by the lid set to allow for moisture to escape during baking. The rest of the guys all identify it as "pizza" so it hasn't lost identity, and to date I've never had any complaints, except occasionally they complain that there wasn't enough, so it really isn't all that bad. It's also a great way to use up camp left overs too. By the way, that same frying pan is also used to bake dessert. Cake from a box mix, mixed with water, an extra egg, and pieces of canned fruit. The cake bakes while we're eating dinner and putting camp in order, by then the cake is finished baking and has cooled tolerably for serving. Again, no complaints.

Hey Tom, I too am the Camp Chef of our crew and I've had great success making cake in my dutch oven. Pretty much the same recipe as yours, I think thats an old Boy Scout recipe originally. Can of whip cream and you got a seriously great desert built in the bush! I also make some great Corn bread in the D.O. too.

Tonight is my first crack at making my own pizza dough. Any recommendations on a thin crust dough recipe that would last up to 5 days in a cooler? The only thing I am kinda confused on is the yeast. How much for the desired effect, and does it really make a difference what kind?

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2013, 07:54:02 PM »
Two ideas a) deep dish in a dutch oven b) your plan with a large foil pan capturing heat for top heat

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2013, 09:54:34 PM »
You could also try it calzone style allowing you to flip as needed to get things done all the way through, another option anyway

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2013, 12:53:09 PM »
I would use a 10 inch shallow cast iron lid from a combo cooker and the lid from a cast iron dutch oven.  Heat both in the coals, then place the dutch oven lid on top of the combo cooker.  The fit isn't as tight as it would be if you matched each lid up with their intended partners.  However, that creates a low ceiling for the heat to radiate down and melt the cheese nice and quick.

That's how I would go about it.  I wouldn't want to carry around a ton of refractory bricks while camping, personally.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2013, 03:55:19 PM »
Deets;
You've exposed my secret, that's exactly where I got my cake recipe from. I was in scouting for a number of years and really learned a lot form it, including camp cooking, map reading and how to pick a camp location least likely to flood in the event of a thunderstorm, and where insects will present a minimum of harassment.

Offline solidusraven

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2013, 01:52:07 PM »
Your heating surface will require something on the top that will contain the heat in that specific area.