Author Topic: Filippo's Famous Pizza - New Brunswick, NJ  (Read 1574 times)

Offline hotsawce

Filippo's Famous Pizza - New Brunswick, NJ
« on: July 29, 2013, 03:25:41 PM »
Going to share one of my favorite NJ pizzas...discovered when I went to school in the area. Filippo's Famous Pizza in New Brunswick, NJ. It's a little bit thicker than a thin NY pie, but man is it good. Ingredients are quality (Grande is used,) and the resulting pie is really something pretty special. Covered in microblisters, crackling undercrust/crust all around but still tender, moist, and tasty. I'm even eager to eat the bones on this pie...not only does it taste like a great piece of bread but the oil from the mozzarella makes it even more delicious.

Honestly, I can't say I've ever had a pie quite like this. Really unique. If one is ever in New Brunswick for any reason, definitely check it out.

Offline BenLee

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Filippo's Famous Pizza - New Brunswick, NJ
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 10:16:06 PM »
Walked by there a million times during my Rutgers days.  Never stopped in.  I was too busy eating fat sandwiches.

Offline tombiasi

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 10:25:46 PM »
I have been there many years ago. Very good pie. They put an 18 inch pizza in a 16 inch box. :)

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 10:57:45 PM »
Going to share one of my favorite NJ pizzas...discovered when I went to school in the area. Filippo's Famous Pizza in New Brunswick, NJ. It's a little bit thicker than a thin NY pie, but man is it good. Ingredients are quality (Grande is used,) and the resulting pie is really something pretty special. Covered in microblisters, crackling undercrust/crust all around but still tender, moist, and tasty. I'm even eager to eat the bones on this pie...not only does it taste like a great piece of bread but the oil from the mozzarella makes it even more delicious.

Honestly, I can't say I've ever had a pie quite like this. Really unique. If one is ever in New Brunswick for any reason, definitely check it out.

That looks like really good pizza. Love the microblisters, as you say.  @BenLee, you should've stopped in when you were there.  Is New Brunswick known as a really good place to get pizza?  What I mean to say is, how would you finish this analogy:

__________ is to New Jersey pizza as New Haven pizza is to Conneciticut pizza.

Online scott123

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 05:40:58 AM »
Great write up, Hotsawce!

My travels almost never bring me down to N.B., but for that, I might have to make a special trip.

They put an 18 inch pizza in a 16 inch box. :)

I don't think there's anything better than a pizza that's too big for the box.  I'd much rather have an 18" pizza in a 16" box than an 18" pizza in an 18" box  ;D

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 02:30:49 PM »
they probably got a good deal on the 16" boxes! :-D

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 08:02:07 PM »
Only Coca Cola products is a plus, too  ;)

Coke with my pizza... no Pepsi

Offline BenLee

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 04:07:03 PM »
That looks like really good pizza. Love the microblisters, as you say.  @BenLee, you should've stopped in when you were there.  Is New Brunswick known as a really good place to get pizza?  What I mean to say is, how would you finish this analogy:

__________ is to New Jersey pizza as New Haven pizza is to Conneciticut pizza.

New Brunswick pizza is pretty damn mediocre IMO, and I lived there for 9 years.  Their sandwiches, wings, and middle eastern food are great.  Also, they have some nice restaurants like Stage Left and Catherine Lombardi which is right next door.  New Jersey doesn't have a New Haven type location where there is a concentrated amount of standout pizzerias.  We do have dozens of pizzerias that I consider much better than the New Haven pizzerias scattered around the state though.