Author Topic: Truffle Oil  (Read 5650 times)

Offline Z

Truffle Oil
« on: February 16, 2006, 08:11:36 AM »
Can anyone tell me if there is a difference in taste between the white or black? Better, worse, same? I have used the white and love it drizzled on pizza and like it so much that I have never tried the black.

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, Whiskey, Freedom n' Pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
Re: Truffle Oil
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 09:09:52 AM »
 :'( I can't afford either so I couldn't tell ya.  :'(

;D
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 09:47:12 AM »
Truffle oil, both black and white is very reasonably priced at Trader Joes. And since a little of it goes a long way, it is not at all expensive to use. However, I have recently stopped using truffle oil since I discovered black truffle salt.  One whiff of this stuff and you are in heaven. Not cheap, but then very little of this salt goes a very, very long way.

Bill/SFNM

Offline vitoduke

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 11:01:12 AM »
Hi Bill - Does Trader Joes have the black truffle salt?  Thanks--Mel

Offline Ronzo

• New Texian Brewery
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 11:15:31 AM »
No Trader Joe's in Austin...
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 11:16:19 AM »
Hi Bill - Does Trader Joes have the black truffle salt?  Thanks--Mel

Mel,

I've never seen it there. I get it from here: http://www.lescadeauxgourmets.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25_49&products_id=239

Great stuff!

Bill/SFNM

Offline Z

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 09:14:14 AM »
Bill.

What brand(s) of oil were you buying at Trader Joe's? They only carry the TJ brand here in Nevada. I found a 1.75 ounce bottle of Urbani Tartufi at World Market once and fell in love. Then, of course, they stopped carrying it. I now buy mine through eurogrocer.com.

Thanks for the tip on the Black Truffle Salt, I will order some. Z

Offline Ronzo

• New Texian Brewery
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 09:32:40 AM »
I think I'd like to taste truffle oil once or twice before I decide to buy some. I'd hate to spend that much money and hate the stuff.

Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 10:04:45 AM »
The first time I tried truffle oil I didn't like it all that much. But as I kept trying it, I got to like it more and more. I especially like it on a pepperoni pizza. I would also like to try the truffle salt. I have a little bottle of truffle oil and it's hard to control to get just a small amount on a pizza. The truffle salt would seem easier to control.

Peter

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 10:54:38 AM »
The first time I tried truffle oil I didn't like it all that much. But as I kept trying it, I got to like it more and more. I especially like it on a pepperoni pizza. I would also like to try the truffle salt. I have a little bottle of truffle oil and it's hard to control to get just a small amount on a pizza. The truffle salt would seem easier to control.

Peter

Peter,

I transfer the truffle oil to a plastic squeeze bottle. This way I can control how much is applied. I also store it in the fridge to help it last longer.

Bill/SFNM

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2006, 11:07:38 AM »
Bill,

That's a good idea. In my case, I bought just a small bottle because I wasn't sure how much I would like it. So I would have to find a small squeeze bottle. Or use it with an eye dropper just as is often done with the really old (e.g., 100 years old) and really expensive Balsamic vinegars. As you may know, some of the Balsamic bottles actually come with an eye dropper.

I like the idea of refrigerating the truffle oil. Thanks for the suggestion.

Peter

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2006, 12:01:00 PM »

I like the idea of refrigerating the truffle oil. Thanks for the suggestion.

Peter,

Once a bottle went rancid on me. Few things worse than rancid truffle oil  :(. Try the salt if you get a chance. I only just started using it. Not sure about its shelf-life, but it is super easy to control how much you put on.

Bill/SFNM
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 12:22:21 PM by Bill/SFNM »

Offline Ronzo

• New Texian Brewery
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2006, 01:18:48 PM »
The first time I tried truffle oil I didn't like it all that much. But as I kept trying it, I got to like it more and more.
I had the same experience with Extra Virgin Olive Oil. At first I didn't like the taste. It was way too strong. After awhile though, I grew to really like it and enjoy the flavor.

Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Offline Z

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2006, 08:35:32 AM »
Truffle oil, both black and white is very reasonably priced at Trader Joes. And since a little of it goes a long way, it is not at all expensive to use. However, I have recently stopped using truffle oil since I discovered black truffle salt. One whiff of this stuff and you are in heaven. Not cheap, but then very little of this salt goes a very, very long way.

Bill/SFNM

Well, I received the black truffle salt and I must say I am not as impressed with it as I am the oil. It does smell great but I think the salt doesn't let enough of the truffle come through. I find with the oil you don't have that problem. Oh, and for the price of the truffle salt-understandably high but shipping was outrageous for the couple of ounces that I ordered.  I'll stand by the Urbani Tartufi White Truffle Oil. :)

Z

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2006, 08:54:29 AM »
I've reluctantly come to the same conclusion. My initial enthusiasm for the salt has waned and I am also back to using the oil on pizzas.

Bill/SFNM

Offline billneild

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2006, 08:54:56 AM »
I bought a bottle of truffle oil at the local megamart and didn't like it.  It was very musty smelling / tasting.  Is that what it's supposed to taste like?  If so, maybe it's an acquired taste and I need to keep trying.  Or maybe this was a bad bottle.  Is it supposed to be musty?

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2006, 09:09:24 AM »
I bought a bottle of truffle oil at the local megamart and didn't like it.  It was very musty smelling / tasting.  Is that what it's supposed to taste like?  If so, maybe it's an acquired taste and I need to keep trying.  Or maybe this was a bad bottle.  Is it supposed to be musty?

I think "musky" is the term I'd use. It should smell/taste much like truffles themselves. It should be used sparingly.

Bill/SFNM

Offline billneild

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2006, 09:39:36 AM »
I don't know if I know what truffles taste like.  I may have had them on something but I can't remember.  By the way, I said musty, not musky.  Musk!  Now that would for sure be a taste I could do without.

Bill

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2006, 06:44:45 PM »
Can somebody suggest a brand of Truffle oil?  Ive read about Urbani on this thread, but would like to hear more about other brands, for better or for worse. 

Also, what are the bottle sizes and their respective prices?  How about in Trader Joes?

On a truffle quest,
Jon
Il miglior fabbro

Offline raji

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2006, 12:35:41 AM »
Can somebody suggest a brand of Truffle oil?  Ive read about Urbani on this thread, but would like to hear more about other brands, for better or for worse. 

Also, what are the bottle sizes and their respective prices?  How about in Trader Joes?

On a truffle quest,
Jon

Jon,

I highly recommend Etruria truffle oil.  I have both the black and the white.  I bought the white at first and then tried the black.  I've seen the black used more on pizzas.  A 3.4 oz. bottle set me back about 14 dollars.  It's pricey, but you need very little of it.

Here's the site:

http://www.etruriagourmet.com

-raj

pizzapan