Author Topic: Blackstone Portability  (Read 2123 times)

Offline scott123

Blackstone Portability
« on: July 30, 2013, 10:57:56 AM »
It will be a long time before I travel with this, but I wanted to bounce some ideas off you guys for transporting the blackstone and see what you think.

The main body, even with nothing in it, is heavy.  This doesn't happen much with goods made in China, but I think they went with too thick of a gauge of metal for the outer shell. It's also really unwieldy.  I'm contemplating attaching a strap to the handles so I can take the weight on a shoulder. Just about everything else can go in the car lose, with the exception of the stones, which will probably need to go on a seat so they're protected.

I'm not sure how to travel with hot stones after the event, but, thankfully, the stones are pretty thin, so perhaps they can cool to the touch after an hour or two.  I believe wool is good to around 500, and has a good r value, so perhaps I'll let the stones cool to 300 and put them on a wool blanket.

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
Re: Blackstone Portability
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 11:12:13 AM »
I say upgraded casters and weld on a trailer hitch bar. I wanna hear the sound that sucker makes screaming down the highway. If you have an SUV with opening rear glass in the liftgate, a passenger could launch and recover pies at highway speed.  >:D

Offline redox

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 11:28:45 AM »
It will be a long time before I travel with this, but I wanted to bounce some ideas off you guys for transporting the blackstone and see what you think.

The main body, even with nothing in it, is heavy.  This doesn't happen much with goods made in China, but I think they went with too thick of a gauge of metal for the outer shell. It's also really unwieldy.  I'm contemplating attaching a strap to the handles so I can take the weight on a shoulder. Just about everything else can go in the car lose, with the exception of the stones, which will probably need to go on a seat so they're protected.

I'm not sure how to travel with hot stones after the event, but, thankfully, the stones are pretty thin, so perhaps they can cool to the touch after an hour or two.  I believe wool is good to around 500, and has a good r value, so perhaps I'll let the stones cool to 300 and put them on a wool blanket.
You'd better stay out of Ohio with that. The rapacious Ohio State Patrol that makes driving the interstate here such a miserable experience will think the BS is a new high-tech meth lab and that they've finally caught Heisenberg.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 11:54:53 AM »
The event ? do I have a new Competitor  ???
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 11:57:15 AM »
After an hour baking on the Blackstone, the shell is still almost too hot to touch.
It throws off heat that you can feel 8-10 feet away.
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 12:10:58 PM »
I say upgraded casters

I'm working on that right now. When I bring mine outside to the patio from storage in the garage, I have a little off-road trip I need to make. Those stock casters are rattlin' and shakin' like crazy! I found some nice 6" pneumatic casters (two with brakes) and the correct caster stem insert for the diameter of tubing used in the frame. I want to keep the shelf height pretty much what it is now, so I'll have to cut a little more off the bottom.

Scott - Make a backpack harness and wear it on your back. Actually two shoulder straps from duffle bags would work great. Attach at handles and where the legs attach. You'd look like RocketMan!!  :-D

Take care!

Jim
The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline scott123

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 12:42:17 PM »
The event ? do I have a new Competitor  ???

;D 'Event' sounded a bit better than 'party' or 'get together.'

I'm not nipping at your heels, but, with a device like this, I wouldn't be surprised if someone were to start taking one on the road- sooner rather than later.

Offline italdream

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 12:52:08 PM »
It is very easy to disassemble - take legs off, top and stones off. load the main body in the trunk, will fit in most cars

Offline redox

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 01:01:05 PM »
It is very easy to disassemble - take legs off, top and stones off. load the main body in the trunk, will fit in most cars
I'm pretty sure you stole that sentence from "The Sopranos".  :-D

Offline italdream

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 01:07:29 PM »
I'm pretty sure you stole that sentence from "The Sopranos".  :-D

Not the Sopranos, just bringing my real life experience on the forum...

Offline Roman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 02:56:43 PM »
I think we're missing an opportunity in portability. Backside insulation, double straps and now you can backpack the unit. With an insulated helmet on the carrier, someone from behind might be able to pull a lower temp pie as its being transported while walking. Thinking this might be why the motor is battery powered.

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 03:17:54 PM »

I'm not nipping at your heels, but, with a device like this, I wouldn't be surprised if someone were to start taking one on the road- sooner rather than later.

I'm going to take it to a party at our community pool in September. We're having an "International Dinner" so I am going to make pizzas.  Should be fun. 

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 03:31:52 PM »
I'm going to take it to a party at our community pool in September. We're having an "International Dinner" so I am going to make pizzas.  Should be fun.

Get ready to be mobbed with hungry mouths and LOTs of questions about the Blackstone.

Take care!

Jim
The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 10:21:06 PM »
Scott, I checked temps  2 hours after I cooked.  The exterior of the oven was around 78 degrees, the bottom stone was around 90 to 100 and the top stone was slightly higher.   Some leather gloves would be helpful to handle the parts when they are still warm, but it didn't seem anything would burn with work gloves.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2013, 10:00:57 AM »

I'll bet Kelly wished he had one of these available when he was doing his mobile deal....wonder how the new restaurant is proceding.

Hey Scott, to cool down the stones all ya have to do is throw some ice water on it from your beer cooler.  ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2013, 10:53:50 AM »
I blast air through mine with the electric leaf blower to help it cool down enough to put the cover on it.

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2013, 11:43:37 AM »
I'd be afraid of cracking the stone from trying to cool too rapidly.  But maybe I'm just a worrier.

Offline scott123

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2013, 12:01:18 PM »
I'll bet Kelly wished he had one of these available when he was doing his mobile deal....wonder how the new restaurant is proceding.

This has the potential to completely revolutionize the farmer's market scene

Baltimore is still a ways away from opening:

Paulie Gee on Belief, Baltimore, and Being Your Own Boss (Part 1)

I'd be afraid of cracking the stone from trying to cool too rapidly.  But maybe I'm just a worrier.

I'm pretty sure Bob was joking about the ice water, but I think an kind of moving air- fan/blower would be a slow enough cool down not to injure the stone.

Barry, thanks for taking those temps. That's very helpful.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2013, 07:31:44 AM »
I would bet if you stood a fan in front of it and came back in an hour it would be cool enough to touch and disassemble. I'm doing a couple pies Tuesday nite after my 6 day run of 12 hour nites (time for beer and pie) and I'll try to remember to do this. I have a room fan on a stand I use to keep skeeters away from us when sitting at the patio table in the evenings so I'll let you know if nobody else tries it first.

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2013, 08:36:02 AM »
I would bet if you stood a fan in front of it and came back in an hour it would be cool enough to touch and disassemble. I'm doing a couple pies Tuesday nite after my 6 day run of 12 hour nites (time for beer and pie) and I'll try to remember to do this. I have a room fan on a stand I use to keep skeeters away from us when sitting at the patio table in the evenings so I'll let you know if nobody else tries it first.

jon
Good thinking Jon....I'll be surprised if it takes more than 30 min..
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"