Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 304 times)

Offline jschrandt

• I Love Pizza!
« on: July 30, 2013, 11:53:28 PM »
I have been making pizzas casually for the last 10 years but am now starting to want to master the art.  I recently built a pizza oven that fits over the top of my commercial grade gas fire pit which allows me to hit temps above 800 degrees.

I am searching for answers to many questions...

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 10:42:41 AM »
Any pictures of your oven?
Josh

Offline jschrandt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 09:52:54 PM »
Here's a picture of it as a fire pit...

Offline jschrandt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 09:56:16 PM »
...and here as a pizza oven.  Pizza stone inside oven is 36" x 36".   

Online scott123

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 12:03:12 PM »
That looks awesome.  It's like the back yard of the future.  If I sat down in that, I'd expect either Woody Allen in Sleeper or Jacque Tati in Mon Oncle to show up  ;D

Btw, while it looks amazing, I'm not sure that your fire pit setup is 100% functional for pizza, from a heat balance perspective. I'd have to see more of the internal parts of the oven to know for sure.  You're not burning wood on the hearth, right?

Offline jschrandt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 02:51:24 PM »
Natural Gas - output is 300k BTU's.

Online scott123

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 02:55:57 PM »
Does the fire pit have multiple burners, and, can you, by turning some off, isolate the heat to a particular section of the pit?

You could build in some kind of deflection as a way of decreasing bottom heat and increasing the top heat, but, with that much real estate, it might be easier just to have a burner lit on one side of the pit and the hearth on the other.  That would go a long way in giving you balanced top and bottom heat.

Offline jschrandt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 04:21:09 PM »
That is the challenge - the top heat is a little low right now.  I have vents around the perimeter allowing the heat to go up around the cooking area, I am also in the process of adding a stone top to better hold and reflect the heat.  Unable to isolate the heat though.  I am close to getting enough heat on top with out the stone so I am hoping adding the stone will do the trick. 

Online scott123

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 04:27:24 PM »
So you can't isolate the fire to one section of the pit?

A stone ceiling isn't going to buy you much. Thermal mass in the ceiling has far less impact on top/bottom heat balance than fire location (side is ideal, not bottom) or deflection.

pizzapan