Author Topic: Ingredient amounts used  (Read 610 times)

Offline clg763

Ingredient amounts used
« on: August 21, 2013, 02:09:04 PM »
I am trying to understand a bit more about VPN specs, I always understood true WFO pizzas to use minimal ingredients, however, I am having trouble understanding how this works when looking that the VPN specs.

Dough.... 180-250g
Cheese.... 80-100g (Mozz)
Sauce.... 60-100g (depending on pizza style)
Hard Cheese.... 10-15g
Oil.... 4-5g

I am guessing that the larger my dough ball, the more on the higher side of things I should land for ingredient amounts. In my case, I am using 235g dough balls and stretching them out to a 10.5-11" pizza. In this case, I would expect for my ingredient usage to fall on the high side, however, that sure feels like a lot of toppings. I used to just make the pizzas as seemed right to me, after looking at these amounts, I am not using nearly enough toppings, here is what I currently use (after measuring my ingredients.

Dough.... 235g
Cheese.... 50-60g (mozz)
Sauce.... 35-45g
Hard Cheese.... 5-7g
Oil.... 4-5g

Looking at this objectively, I am using about 1/2 - 2/3 of the required amounts. This issue is compounded by the fact that Peter Reinhart in his pizza quest gives a recipe for a 28oz can of crushed tomatoes that yields enough sauce for what he says is 4-6 neapolitan pizzas. He never mentions draining the sauce at all so if this is the case, his final sauce amount is pretty close to 30oz, spread that over 4-6pizzas and I get between 135 and 200g of sauce per pizza, thats more sauce than I use in an extra large American style pizza.

How I am so far off here? If I use the recommended amounts, my pizzas wind up slathered in ingredients and don't even come  off the peel properly due to being weighed down so much.

Online shuboyje

Re: Ingredient amounts used
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 08:36:26 PM »
The VPN numbers look pretty close to me.  The only thing I see in your situation is the dough ball weight.  In my opinion 235 grams is a ton of dough for a 10.5"-11" Neapolitan pizza.  My dough ball for that size would probably be in the range of 180-190 grams.  I generally use a 250 gram dough ball and stretch it to fill my 13" peel.  From what I've gathered that is pretty common.
-Jeff

Offline clg763

Re: Ingredient amounts used
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 02:17:59 PM »
Hmm, I guess I need to keep stretching to find room for all those toppings!

pizzapan