Author Topic: Getting More Serious  (Read 1231 times)

Offline trappist

• I Love Pizza!
Getting More Serious
« on: July 31, 2013, 11:55:42 AM »
I've been working on pizza dough for several years on my own but have begun to get more serious about making a true neapolitan pizza.  This forum has been very helpful (especially Craig's fermentation chart), as I've acquired the Ischia starter and have begun to do a warm(er) ferment instead of the fridge thing.  So, thanks to all for willingly offering so much insight!

Here's my latest.  I've only had the starter activated for about a week and didn't find it flavorful as flavorful as I expected.  I washed it and rebuilt it, so perhaps that will help. 

-Thomas

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: Getting More Serious
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 12:06:49 PM »
Thomas, thanks for the pic. The pie looks good to me. I like the color and the cornice. The shape is unique and appealing.
Keep up the good work.

Can you tell us what oven you are using and perhaps your dough method?

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline trappist

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 01:40:24 PM »
Mark,

The shape is unique...and a bit unintentional.  I tried the stretching/shaping method from the Robert Caporuscio video, which is different from what I've always done.  I need a bit of work on that method to get a more conventional shape.  I basically used Craig's recipe at 60% hydration, though I dissolved the salt in separate water from the yeast out of concern for the salt undermining some of the yeast's viability.  I did the bulk ferment for 24 hours in a temp monitored cooler that I kept between 66-67 degrees.  The 270 g balls fermented for aout 18 hours, and I let it warm for the last several to around 68 and eventually to 70.

100% Caputo 00 (red bag from Central Market)
60% Water
3% Salt
1.5% Ischia

The oven is a fairly old, fairly basic GE.  I put the rack on the top shelf with a stone on it and refractory bricks lining the sides of the stone and blocking off the thermometer.  It basically makes a box.  I heat on broil for about 30-40 min, at which point, it maxes out with the stone in the 600-700 degree range and the bricks about 20 degrees higher.  I then switch to cleaning cycle for about 20-30 min, which takes the stone up to 800, the bricks a little higher, and when the top element is on during the cycle (it switches between the top and bottom element) the top reads 1000+ on my infrared.  I didn't do anything to the lock to be able to use cleaning cycle because it is purely mechanical (no sensors to know if the door is open or shut).  All you have to do with this type of lock is slide it over with the door open and press a bit of resistance to make it think it has locked into the door.  This was actually my first pie with this cleaning cycle trick figured out.

-Thomas
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 01:44:17 PM by trappist »

Offline italdream

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 02:43:10 PM »
That's a beautiful pie.

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 03:06:01 PM »
Trappist, that method is going to net you some great pizzas.  This one shows it.  Careful of the oven door at those temps though! 

Regards,

TinRoof

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 04:12:51 PM »
Trappist, thanks for the process. I think that you hit on a winner. Hope your oven lasts a long time! ;D

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline dhorst

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 05:03:03 PM »
Very nice leoparding.  I could go for a slice of that pie!

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 05:52:11 PM »
yeah, be carefull with the cleaning cycle hack, one drop of wet pizza sauce spills on the glass of your oven door, and at that temperature you stand a good chance of the whole thing shattering!

Offline WaterDog

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 09:43:08 PM »
That's some nice leoparding from a home oven!  How long was that bake?  Was the crust tender or crunchy?

Well done.  :drool:

-Jeff

Offline trappist

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 11:08:58 PM »
Jeff, the crust was very soft.  I didn't keep exact time on the bake, but I would guess it was between 60 and 90 seconds.  The thing cooked very fast because the distance between the element and the stone with this set up is very short, almost too short.  I'll post pics of the set up next time I cook, which will be after a San Francisco trip next week. 

-Thomas

Offline trappist

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 10:43:26 PM »
Here are some shots of the oven set up and some pies from this weekend, fig and prosciutto on top are a great combination, especially with a Belgian Saison.  Bakes were 60-90 sec.  Also, here is a photo of the oven arrangement.  There are two thinner refractory bricks underneath the stone to create the ideal distance between the stone and the element.

100% flour (675g)
60.7% H2O (410g)
2.9% NaCl (20g)
1.3% Ischia (9g)