Author Topic: My DSBGFO (Dry Stacked Brick Gas Fired Oven)  (Read 922 times)

Offline BKK_Mick

My DSBGFO (Dry Stacked Brick Gas Fired Oven)
« on: July 31, 2013, 12:07:15 PM »
I currently work at a mine site in rural Vietnam; this equates to no pizza and expensive consumer ovens. So I decided to put together a gas fired oven on the cheap to use when I’m onsite.
Here are some pics of my DSBGFO (Dry Stacked Brick Gas Fired Oven) that I made or possibly the Buggamethatshot Oven.

The oven is sitting on a steel base and stand with a 3mm thick steel deck and deflector sitting on 4 courses of dry stacked clay bricks.
Then 3 more courses of bricks with a layer of unglazed clay tiles on top for the ceiling and some more bricks on top to finish it off.

The cooking area uses two 400x400mm unglazed clay tiles double stacked on top of the steel deck and the ceiling is supported by flat bar.

I have two wok burners installed of unknown BTU value, smoking hot is the term I’d use.
Both burners sit on the steel base, one is underneath the steel deck and one is behind the deflector for top heat. They are then connected to a tee piece with one adjustable regulator and bottle.

There is approximately 150mm between the deck and the ceiling and 150mm between burner and deck. 

I have used the oven twice now with a NY style dough, both times we started launching pizza’s when the deck was around 350oc and by the time we get to the 4th and final pizza the deck is around 400oc.

The first pizza’s at around 350oc cook in around 3 to 3 ½ minutes and the last pizza’s at 400oc cook in just over 2 minutes.

The first time I used it there wasn’t any tiles lining the ceiling, only bricks so it took about 1hr 15min to heat up to around 350oc.
The second time I fired it up I lined the ceiling with more unglazed tiles and plugged up some of the gaps around the ceiling with alfoil. The oven hit 350oc in around 45min and I could reduce the burner setting by about 25% to maintain temperature.

I have been using the following dough recipe using hand knead:
Gold Medal Better for Bread (100%)
Water (63%)
IDY (0.5%)
Salt (1.75%)
Oil (1%)

Disclaimer: Clay Bricks are kiln fired at temperatures from around 800oc to 1300oc

Offline BKK_Mick

Re: My DSBGFO (Dry Stacked Brick Gas Fired Oven)
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 12:22:26 PM »
More pics
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 12:27:14 PM by BKK_Mick »

Offline BKK_Mick

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 12:28:41 PM »
Last Pizza of the night

Offline parallei

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 02:51:00 PM »
Nice oven and pies Mick..........necessity IS the mother of invention.

Good job. ;D

Offline BKK_Mick

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 10:01:07 PM »
Thanks Parrallei, can't wait to fire her up again when I get back to work next week

pizzapan