Author Topic: Who here has tried King Arthur Whole Wheat White Flour  (Read 1984 times)

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

• I feel a carb-coma onsetting.
Who here has tried King Arthur Whole Wheat White Flour
« on: July 31, 2013, 12:31:28 PM »
I got some of it hoping since there was no additives or malted barley that it would fix a problem with a glue layer I had been having. Its hard white spring wheat so I assume that's high protein.  :chef:

Offline dhorst

Re: Who here has tried King Arthur Whole Wheat White Flour
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 03:24:57 PM »
I've used it before with KA Bread flour with good results.  However I like Prairie Gold wheat even better.  Some of the Amish markets in CNY carry it.

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 04:16:54 PM »
Hey that sounds good.  :pizza: I have some amish whole wheat pastry flour that is stone ground. I didn't realize it was pastry flour. That was in my more noobish days.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 04:20:31 PM »
I tried King Arthur White Whole Wheat, 24 hr room temp ferment, it was hard to stretch without tearing. Very delicate. Tasted great. 
Bert,

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 04:28:01 PM »
I'm glad you told me that. I'm still trying to learn about dough in general quite a bit. I saw at Mellow Mushroom the other day they toss their pizza dough in the air. I think it's also sourdough of a sort and it looks almost like a whole wheat mixture. It's sorta yellowish brown. Tasted great but it is a more chewy bread. I assume they probably use something like this for that effect.

Offline kwtrading

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 05:07:30 PM »
My daughter is going through a major health kick lately and requested whole wheat dough and I tried it using KA Whole Wheat White flour.  It came out awful on first try but I have little doubt it was because of all the changes I made to my recipe based on a previous thread I found with suggestions for whole wheat pizza dough.  Changes suggested were using butter and non-diastatic malt syrup(I think).  I'm not saying those changes are bad if you have it all worked out, but it was downright disastrous on my first try.  Taste was awful, dough fell apart.  I had to roll it.  It was more the taste than the rolling.  It looked good out of the oven but no one could stomach more than a piece.  Luckily I made some normal dough too as a backup. 

To start as a first try I should have just used my normal recipe and more water.  I'm told that works and tastes just fine.  So I will try that on my next try.

Good luck.

Offline redox

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 07:14:19 PM »
I got some of it hoping since there was no additives or malted barley that it would fix a problem with a glue layer I had been having. Its hard white spring wheat so I assume that's high protein.  :chef:
I've used it in my bread machine and the loaves came out fine. The KA site has a number of recipes using this flour.

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 09:09:24 PM »
Thanks Redox.

KwTrading: that sounds interesting. I'm in a metamorphosis stage myself. I'm going from normal back to  noob to intermediate. I made some pizza with Einkorn flour by Jovial recently and the stuff broke apart a lot like you're saying. I posted about the flour recently. I have the actual einkorn wheatberries now too from Whole Foods. I would try that too just for kicks if you are looking to be healthy. I read that book wheat belly and hr claimed it was pretty good alternative to modern hybridized wheat. It makes good bread I can tell you but its golden brown and slightly crumbly because it has less gluten. I hope my King Arthur works good.  About to kick it up!

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 09:09:16 AM »
I've used it mixed with bread flour and made club rolls.  Made them for my wife but had to have one piping hot from the oven....turned out good but that could have been all the butter I lathered on!
tom

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 10:04:50 AM »
Just as an FYI.
When it comes to whole wheat flour there is whole wheat flour from hard red winter wheat and also from hard red spring wheat. This is the type of whole wheat flour that normally comes to one's mind when thinking about whole wheat flour, then there is whole wheat flour made from hard white wheat. This is the newest kid on the block. In commercial circles it is known as Nutri-Grain Flour. This is what many of the commercial bread bakeries are using to make their whole wheat breads from. It is also very popular in schools as the bread doesn't have that typical bitterness associated with whole wheat bread made with flour from red wheat varieties, also the finished bread color is somewhat lighter in color so the bread is more appetizing to the kids. Lastly, there is whole wheat flour made from soft wheat varieties, this is also known as "graham flour". Remember those graham crackers you ate as a kid? I bet you didn't know that they were made from a whole wheat flour? Hence the name, graham crackers. Soft white wheat varieties are typically used in making pastry and cake flours and have a lower protein content producing a weaker gluten than the hard wheat varieties.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 10:36:11 AM »
I used 100% Flour, 63% water, 10% Ischia, 3% salt,

I made six dough ball, three of them ended up big a mess.

I used extra tomato sauce and EVOO (drizzled after bake) to compensate for the wheat dryness.

Some of the toppings I used: thinly sliced zucchini, thinly sliced fresh tomato, thinly sliced white onion, tomato sauce and Aleppo pepper olive oil. This pie was really good.
Bert,

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 11:26:41 AM »
I'm glad you told me that. I'm still trying to learn about dough in general quite a bit. I saw at Mellow Mushroom the other day they toss their pizza dough in the air. I think it's also sourdough of a sort and it looks almost like a whole wheat mixture. It's sorta yellowish brown. Tasted great but it is a more chewy bread. I assume they probably use something like this for that effect.
PizzaAlaJoey,

The Mellow Mushroom dough formulation has changed over the years but it does not call for using whole wheat flour and I do not believe that they have ever used sourdoughs (except for stores near their headquarters/commissary in the Atlanta area, the MM dough balls are shipped frozen to their stores). A high-gluten flour is what MM is most likely using at this time, and the color of the crust is due to the use of molasses. You can read for days on this matter at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3940.msg32937.html#msg32937.

Peter

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 01:26:39 AM »
Wow. So much info. I am eternally grateful. I am wondering what Ischia is. It sounds like something left over from the Greco-Roman days probably referring to a modern flour.

I'm blown away MM uses pre-frozen dough. I was was watching them twirl it up in the air thinking they must be some lucky guys from dominos who just happened to get the right gig learning a bit of the ancient pizzaolo wisdom passed down to he lowly hippy chains. Good to know about the sourdough and wheat. I sincerely thought this had to be the case. It makes sense now after the clear explanation.

MightyOven- What happened to the other half of the dough? I like making pizzas like that wih tons of veggies and thinly sliced is something I'm starting to do. Sounds good buy I like to know more since it affects the overall moisture content ontop of the pie.

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 02:57:08 AM »
Wow. So much info. I am eternally grateful. I am wondering what Ischia is. It sounds like something left over from the Greco-Roman days probably referring to a modern flour.

I'm blown away MM uses pre-frozen dough. I was was watching them twirl it up in the air thinking they must be some lucky guys from dominos who just happened to get the right gig learning a bit of the ancient pizzaolo wisdom passed down to he lowly hippy chains. Good to know about the sourdough and wheat. I sincerely thought this had to be the case. It makes sense now after the clear explanation.

MightyOven- What happened to the other half of the dough? I like making pizzas like that wih tons of veggies and thinly sliced is something I'm starting to do. Sounds good buy I like to know more since it affects the overall moisture content ontop of the pie.

PizzaAlaJoey,

Ischia is a strain of sourdough culture that is very popular amongst these forums with people that use sourdough starters.  Craig uses Ischia in his pies for his woodfired ovens I believe.

I have used the culture for pizza and breadmaking, it imparts a wonderful flavor when given some time to ferment.

You can order the cultures online from Ed Wood at Sourdo.com if you are interested.  He has those cultures plus many others.

Pete

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 08:49:49 AM »
Bert;
From your post it sounds like your finished whole wheat or wheat crust is quite dry. This is a common problem when whole wheat or multi-grain flours are used and the total dough absorption is not properly adjusted to compensate for their absorption properties (which is somewhat higher than regular white flour). If you are making a dough in the traditional manner (all ingredients in the bowl and mix) the amount of water needed will initially produce a soft, wet, sticky dough mass, but upon standing the whole wheat or multi-grain flour will hydrate resulting in a more normal handling dough. Since all whole wheat flours and multi-grain blends exhibit different total absorption properties you will need to experiment a bit to find the correct amount of water to add to your dough, but once you have it you can make some pretty decent pizza crusts with your whole wheat flour or multi-grain blend.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline richmas

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 03:39:21 PM »
"I used 100% Flour, 63% water, 10% Ischia, 3% salt"

Did you only use the Ischia as a leavening agent or did you also use any yeast?  If only the Ischia, how long did you let it raise and was it room temperature or in the refrigerator.

Also, as a noob, just to make sure I understand, when you say 100% flour, does that mean the rest of the ingredients are as a percentage of the weight of the flour?  i.e. 600 G flour, 378 G water, 60 G Ischia and 18 G salt.

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2013, 03:59:31 PM »
whole wheat pizza are three words that should never appear together! >:D
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014