Author Topic: pizzamaking.com recipes never updated  (Read 1357 times)

Offline poma

pizzamaking.com recipes never updated
« on: July 31, 2013, 05:35:13 PM »
I've been aware of this site for years, and it doesn't seem to me that the list of recipes has been modified or added to at all in this time. Why not?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: pizzamaking.com recipes never updated
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 09:48:02 PM »

Offline poma

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 11:22:50 AM »
It would be a _great_ improvement for casual visitors even just to write something quick on that page about how these recipes are old and that activity is focused on the forum, etc.

As one who has long stopped by now and then, digging through tons of threads makes the experience...well...rather unpleasant. And having to sign up and ask questions and wait/hope for answers takes time and effort -- and uses up the time and effort of others, which is a shame.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 11:45:32 AM »
poma,

I think Peter's link tells why recipes aren't updated.  It would take too much work to update every recipe or formulation that isn't used anymore.  No one gets paid any money for any of the information that they share on this forum.  In my opinion if you are really interested in learning to make one type of pizza, or many types of pizzas the members and moderators are more than willing to help if a member takes the time to post their questions.  Every question might not be answered, but there is always the search functions that can be used.  Much work has been done in many threads by many members until the results were achieved that members wanted and that does change what is posted.

This forum is somewhat like an evolving blog, but is interactive.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 01:00:24 PM »
And having to sign up and ask questions and wait/hope for answers takes time and effort -- and uses up the time and effort of others, which is a shame.

I think it's a shame that some people may feel they deserve an extraordinary amount of free information while using as little time and effort as possible. 

Josh

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 01:03:09 PM »
Poma, It looks like it took 4 hrs and 13 min for you to get an answer to your question. I think that is rather prompt.
If all you want is recipes, a google search will lead you to many, and The Food Network has a tone in their recipe section. Of course you do not get the benefit of the expertise of the many generous members here who are in the most part dedicated to the pursuit of better pizza with ongoing updates.

"digging through tons of threads makes the experience...well...rather unpleasant." :o

I must disagree wholeheartedly with that statement. It is rather a JOY!
But to each his/her own.

Enjoy your stay.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 02:27:01 PM »
Let me point out that many of the recipes developed on some of the most popular threads have been collected on F.Montoya's dough generator site, complete with the ability to scale the recipes to any quantity desired.

http://doughgenerator.allsimbaseball9.com/

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
  • Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 02:43:31 PM »
It would be a _great_ improvement for casual visitors even just to write something quick on that page about how these recipes are old and that activity is focused on the forum, etc.

As one who has long stopped by now and then, digging through tons of threads makes the experience...well...rather unpleasant. And having to sign up and ask questions and wait/hope for answers takes time and effort -- and uses up the time and effort of others, which is a shame.

Maybe you could volunteer to compile an updated list of newer, popular recipes and put it together for the owner of the site to add.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 02:58:35 PM »
Ron,

We have that somewhat. See, for example, these compilations I posted for emergency and New York style recipes:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8297.0.html

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11860.0.html

However, what I have learned is that people who are after recipes aren't particularly interested in lists or compilations of recipes, as the small number of page views for the above threads indicates. What recipe seekers want are recipes that are written like those in cookbooks, with everything complete and in great detail  and all in one place. They won't read recipes that are developed over time, and they won't read threads that can run to over a hundred pages and contain over a thousand posts.

Peter

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
  • Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 03:28:31 PM »
Was really kind of trying to make the op think a little bit about the daunting task they're trying to seemingly lay on the owners/managers of the site
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 04:37:23 PM »
It's a forum for Christ's sake, not a #*%$ cook book!

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 04:57:33 PM »
It seems to me that it would be a great thing if eventually we could get the dough generator incorporated into pizzamaking.com. I'm not sure how difficult a task that would be. 

Here's a listing of all the 19 recipes we have collected to date:
TitleLast Edited ByTime Addedor last Edited
Apizza Scholls Style Dough tinroofrusted2013-06-13 09:30:07
Chicago Deep Dish Pizza tinroofrusted2013-06-16 12:10:51
Detroit Style Pizza Dough tinroofrusted2013-06-17 01:52:03
DKM Thin Crust (Cracker Style) tinroofrusted2013-06-16 11:56:02
Emergency Version of Lehmann NY Style f.montoya2013-06-10 08:10:11
Glutenboy's New York Pizza tinroofrusted2013-06-17 17:26:59
JerryMac's NY Style Pizza tinroofrusted2013-06-17 16:51:44
Pepe's New Haven Style Pizza Recipe tinroofrusted2013-07-11 10:08:26
Pete-zza's Papa John's Clone Pizza tinroofrusted2013-06-17 21:19:42
Pizza Factory Thin Crust Pizza (Garvey) tinroofrusted2013-06-18 10:58:23
Pizza Hut Pan Pizza Clone tinroofrusted2013-06-18 10:59:25
Pizza Raquel (Peter Taylor) tinroofrusted2013-06-17 10:08:15
Pizza Shark's Authentic New York Style f.montoya2013-06-17 21:38:16
Pizza Sophia tinroofrusted2013-06-17 10:25:43
Rustic Ciabbata Pizza tinroofrusted2013-06-16 13:58:51
Scott123 New York Pizza tinroofrusted2013-06-26 17:35:22
Steve's Shakey's Style Pizza f.montoya2013-06-25 08:02:06
TXCraig's Neapolitan Pizza Dough tinroofrusted2013-06-17 01:52:41
Vera Pizza Napolitana Dough Recipe tinroofrusted2013-07-11 09:48:01

Based on my knowledge of the site and the most popular threads, I think this is a decent representative sample of "greatest hits" recipes.  If anyone would like to suggest any additional recipes for inclusion I would be happy to add them. 

Regards,

TinRoof

Offline dhorst

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 05:30:49 PM »
digging through tons of threads makes the experience...well...rather unpleasant." :o

I must disagree wholeheartedly with that statement. It is rather a JOY!
^^^

It's amazing just how much knowledge I have gained by digging.  I also feel like I've gotten to know members here better.  So much personality shines through in the comments--truly wonderful.
For the love of Aleppo chile, ask and you shall receive.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 06:48:50 PM »
Pizzamaking could publish a book of recipes and use it as a fund raiser, that way all the lazy bastards who just want to come here for instant knowledge will have access for a fee. The whole point of a forum is interaction between and among the members, not as a reference for recipes. The way a lot of these "recipes" come to fruition is through the ongoing exchanges of ideas, to compromise that will be the doom of the forum as we presently know it.

Offline poma

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2013, 03:39:28 PM »
I knew this would happen because we're primates, and so whenever any norm is held up to the light and turned over and examined, half of the people attack attack attack blindly because they value being on the inside more than anything. It disgusts me.

Our norms evolve almost on their own, almost blindly, but we will cling to them, good or bad.

I appreciate a large portion of the replies, and I'll have a look at the dough generator, but I'm feeling dismayed, all the same.

Attacking me when so much of what is beautiful about humanity is that we've learned so much and made so much progress by gathering our information and making it relatively easy to find and share...is...well, to state it very blandly in order not to get kicked out...it is absolutely without merit, and you're on the wrong side of history, for whatever that's worth. I feel a little bit tempted to elaborate on this, but if you're capable of recognizing it, you already recognize it.

Offline parallei

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2013, 04:28:08 PM »
I knew this would happen because we're primates......

Obviously, you haven't paying very close attention. :-D :-D

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2013, 04:45:51 PM »
You've proven my point @poma, you registered over a month ago and have made 4 post, 3 here and obviously the other one was your introduction. Otherewise, you have given nothing back to the forum, you just came here for free information!

Offline redox

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2013, 04:57:03 PM »
You've proven my point @poma, you registered over a month ago and have made 4 post, 3 here and obviously the other one was your introduction. Otherewise, you have given nothing back to the forum, you just came here for free information!
Does it need to be said? Don't feed the trolls. It's damp and cold in his mommy's basement and he's trying hard to sound intelligent. Let him be.
This line is classic, "I feel a little bit tempted to elaborate on this, but if you're capable of recognizing it, you already recognize it."
I'm done with this thread.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2013, 04:59:01 PM »
likewise

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2013, 10:52:45 AM »
A recipe is a static object, a finished list of ingredients and methodology.  What many on this forum do is to develop a style or recipe, but in the process, it is NOT a static thing.  Therefore, a list of the recipes being developed on this forum would not be a feasible (or desirable) feature.

You read this forum to learn how to make pizza, not how to follow a recipe.

pizzapan