Author Topic: New York Style Pizzeria in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia  (Read 2339 times)

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• If you learn how to listen, everyone is a guru
Re: New York Style Pizzeria in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2014, 12:19:00 PM »
great thread,the bread look perfect!is it the same dough as your pizza dough?

Yes, it's exactly the same dough, but it never hits the fridge.  We portion it in 5oz balls, put them in trays with parchment paper and let them double in size.  Then we flatten them into a rectangle and roll them with the long side going north/south.  At this point they are 6.5 inches.  We let them more than double in size, then slit the tops and bake at about 500F for 20 minutes, brush with olive oil, then bake another 5 minutes.  The olive oil keeps the top soft as opposed to the crusty top you'd get if you used water/steam.

Makes a great 8 inch hero roll when finished.

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2014, 01:07:35 PM »
Please, it doesn't matter if I have a little more experience than you - I'm always happy to listen, if not act, upon advice and previous experience.  Heck, that 's what these forums are for.

You are correct in that the bottom should be lower that the top - it does have dual controls.  I'm cooking at 325C (617F) up top and about 260C (500F on the deck - For the test tonight the pies came out great - the bottoms were perfect and the heel browned nicely.  I think I was working with a bad batch of dough, and then I rushed another batch instead of letting it cold ferment for 48 hours like I always do.  I love the steel - it's real consistent and I'm getting the bottom crust like a coal oven.

The test opening went well - we need to tweak a few areas, but the pies came out great and people were happy.  I have a good feeling about this going forward.

Sounds like you're on the right path then!

Have you taken IR thermometer readings of the steel? I'm curious what your actual steel temp is since you're using an unbalanced temp on top & bottom.
Josh

Offline Andrew Bellucci

« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2014, 09:50:21 PM »
Sounds like you're on the right path then!

Have you taken IR thermometer readings of the steel? I'm curious what your actual steel temp is since you're using an unbalanced temp on top & bottom.

I don't have an IR thermometer - but I should.  When the dust settles and I get my head above water with the ordering, prep and personnel, I want to fully understand the oven, what it's capable of and how it can best manipulate it to serve our needs.

Should I have done all of this testing before opening last night?  Sure, in a perfect world.  But the steel plates didn't arrive until Friday evening and the clock was ticking...

Offline kdefay

« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2014, 11:27:31 AM »
Great to see that things are progressing well.  I imagine it's always a bit of a challenge adapting to a new oven, especially when you are trying to use an oven that was not specifically designed for pizza. 

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2014, 10:19:58 PM »
Andrew thanks for explaning your method.you are very creative in how you are Sourcing your good.i'll bet this pizzeria is going to be very busy!!! Good luck

Offline mastafella

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #65 on: Yesterday at 01:24:54 AM »
I like many have found this to be very interesting as it also pertains slightly to my situation. Currently planning to open a pizza shop selling slices in my neighborhood in Shanghai. I have a few questions regarding the food supply your are finding.

For me I have found suppliers for Anchor from New Zealand Saputo which surprised me when I just checked could be from Canada and another no name brand from Argentina. Price is about $ 1.85/lb and it comes pre shredded. All prices are very close so any suggestions on which might be best?

I know you have decided to go pork less but any ideas on which brands you have found. So far the only steady supply I have found is for Hormel and I haven't been satisfied with the home tests.

I also want to put together a spreadsheet going over all the costs and deciding if this is a wise decision for me as I plan to put everything I have into it. If anyone has something like this I would really appreciate your help.

If we plan a visit to Malaysia anytime soon I will definitely make a visit down to see you. Wishing you all the best!

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #66 on: Yesterday at 02:49:25 PM »
Andrew: Reading your posts brought this quote to my mind.  My wife gave it to me in one of my more dark moments 35 years ago when I was trying to convince the world of my concept of music.  You are tackilng a who new frontier without the tools of home.    I hope this gives you some extra zang in your tank as it has me for all these years.   "Life is a daring adventure or nothing at all"-Helen Keller.  Go MAN!   Walter
The Smiling With Hope Bakery- A bakery with a purpose
http://www.newarkadvocate.com/article/20140124/NEWS01/301240031/Bakery-run-by-students-disabilities-earns-pizza-profile

Spontobeat- the spontaneous music concept I have created and how I spontaneously live my life   http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=157137 200 of my most current songs http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=157137&content=widgets

Offline Andrew Bellucci

« Reply #67 on: Today at 02:11:37 AM »
I like many have found this to be very interesting as it also pertains slightly to my situation. Currently planning to open a pizza shop selling slices in my neighborhood in Shanghai. I have a few questions regarding the food supply your are finding.

For me I have found suppliers for Anchor from New Zealand Saputo which surprised me when I just checked could be from Canada and another no name brand from Argentina. Price is about $ 1.85/lb and it comes pre shredded. All prices are very close so any suggestions on which might be best?

I know you have decided to go pork less but any ideas on which brands you have found. So far the only steady supply I have found is for Hormel and I haven't been satisfied with the home tests.

I also want to put together a spreadsheet going over all the costs and deciding if this is a wise decision for me as I plan to put everything I have into it. If anyone has something like this I would really appreciate your help.

If we plan a visit to Malaysia anytime soon I will definitely make a visit down to see you. Wishing you all the best!

Definitely put together a spreadsheet with all costs before you make your decision.  There's an old Colombian saying: "I don't buy bread to sell bread" - meaning there's got to be a profit.

We're using our cut-rate POS system to keep track of inventory/food costs, etc. You can't adjust your business if you don't have the information.

Okay, as far as pepperoni, it's terrible here.  Almost everything is chicken-based as opposed to beef because of price and availability.  Lots of poultry, but all beef is imported, the good stuff from New Zealand & Australia and the cheap stuff from India and Pakistan. I used Hormel in NY and thought it was great, Carando was good too.  Hormel has a beef only and a beef/pork if I remember correctly and I really liked both - but only if I cut it myself.  Don't buy pre-cut, it's nowhere near as good.

And Mozzarella here comes from Australian, New Zealand, Austria and Denmark.  Block costs $.60 less than pre-shredded (and I've always cut or shredded my own) so the block we're using costs 22RM a kilo or $3.09 an lb.  I would LOVE to have usable cheese @ $1.80 a pound - my bonus would be much bigger.

Stop by if you're ever in the neighborhood!

Offline Andrew Bellucci

« Reply #68 on: Today at 02:23:54 AM »
Walter, Thezaman, kdefay - thanks all for your kind wishes.

Quick update:

We had a family/friends preview on Monday and opened Tuesday at 6pm. We were hit hard from the beginning and couldn't keep up with the demand.  Line out the door, but everyone was in a great mood - really great vibe.

Requests for interviews came in from local TV, radio, newspapers and the all-important food blogs, which rule here.  We're having a press event next month, once we get a handle on everything.

But that didn't stop this person from doing a nice story:

http://eatdrinkkl.blogspot.com/2014/04/mikeys-original-new-york-pizza-telawi.html

The place is a hit, last night was even better.  We use the day for prepping so we aren't doing lunch yet, but the phone keeps ringing asking if we  do.  Right now it's 6-10 until I can set up a 3-man prep crew starting at 5am - then we'll open at noon.  Probably 2 weeks.

The pies are coming out great - the oven is awesome,  The metal plates I had custom made are real even and there's plenty of power to keep things going.

Updating a couple of issues:

I said earlier on this thread that we bought a used SIMTAC dough mixer from a donut shop that went out of business.  And there were more than a couple of people who expressed doubt/concern that a "cheap" Taiwanese machine would hold up.  So here's an update:

We've been doing 10k of flour (57% hydration) with no problems at all.  We had our preview opening on Monday and opened to the public Tuesday, so now we're going through some dough.  Yesterday I decided to throw caution to the wind and we double the batch - not quite a 50lb bag (20k) but close enough.  Worked like a charm!  Today as well.  It's rated for 25 kilos of flour and it does a great job.  Considering we paid about $1,000 for it and the Hobart here in Malaysia was $16,000, I'd say it was a steal.  Not saying it's as good as a Hobart - I could really use a cheese-grating attachment and this one doesn't do attachments, but it's a really good machine.

Okay, as far as pepperoni, it's terrible here.  Almost everything is chicken-based as opposed to beef because of price and availability.  Lots of poultry, but all beef is imported, the good stuff from New Zealand & Australia and the cheap stuff from India and Pakistan. I used Hormel in NY and thought it was great, Carando was good too.  Hormel has a beef only and a beef/pork if I remember correctly and I really liked both - but only if I cut it myself.  Don't but pre-cut, it's nowhere near as good.

I solved my non-pork Italian Sausage dilemma simply:  after trying many variations and not coming up with anything that I liked, we will not serve Italian Sausage. Period.  I'm not compromising.  I don't like the pepperoni, but we have only designed pies and the pepperoni appears only on the "Tony Soprano" pie, which is our version of a meat lovers pie.  And that's our #1 selling pie after being open for 2 nights.

All to say, things are going even better than expected.  And now, I'll get back to prepping for tonight! 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #69 on: Today at 08:44:47 AM »
Andrew,

Congratulations!  The link to the nice story sure had beautiful photos.  Your NY pizzas look delicious and so does your other food products.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline adletson

« Reply #70 on: Today at 09:46:12 AM »
Congrats!  That's great to hear about the mixer.  That could have been a big wrench thrown right in the middle of operations.  Now if I can find a mixer here in the states that could do 20 kg of flour for $1,000 that would be awesome!

pizzapan