Author Topic: All trumps VS harvest king both from general mills  (Read 1226 times)

Offline Polo1523

All trumps VS harvest king both from general mills
« on: August 01, 2013, 12:12:18 AM »
I currently use all trumps and love it but just out of curiosity have anyone tried harvest king?  And which one do you prefer for ny pizza
Regards Leo.

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
Re: All trumps VS harvest king both from general mills
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 12:39:20 AM »
Harvest King is the same flour as is sold in retail stores as "Better for Bread".  They actually used to sell Better for Bread as Harvest King in grocery stores but then went with just "Better for Bread"  It is a lower protein flour than All Trumps. Both can make excellent NY style pizza.  I think All Trumps is used quite a bit more in commercial settings. But there are plenty of quality pizzerias using Harvest King as well. Brian Scholls uses Harvest King.

Regards.

TinRoof

Offline Polo1523

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 08:19:19 AM »
Ok tinroof thanks for the info i think i will stick with all trumps maybe i will try the harvest king
Regards Leo.

scott123

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 08:31:17 AM »
Harvest King, imo, has a better level of protein for NY style (12%), while All Trumps, outside California, is bromated (better than unbromated).  My favorite flours combine the best of both worlds- low-ish protein (around 13%) + bromate:

Full Strength
Spring King
Occident
Pillsbury xxxx patent flour
King Midas Special
Superlative
Commander
Majestic
Springup
Perfect Diamond (I think this is 12.5%ish, but not sure)

Online The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 08:41:38 AM »
Leo;
To add to Tin Roof's comments, Harvest King flour has about 12% protein content while All Trumps has 14+ % protein content. I've used both very successfully to make thin crust pizzas of all kinds, but when it comes to making thick crust/pan style pizzas my preference turns to Harvest King as it does not give the excessively tough and chewy characteristic that I get from All Trumps in this application. For me one big factor in using one over the other is availability, as Tin Roof said, the Harvest King flour can be purchased from most supermarkets as Bread Flour (intended for use with bread making machines) while All Trumps can be a bit more difficult to come by and is also more pricey. Like a friend of mine used to say "You pays yer money and takes yer pick".
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 10:07:06 AM »
Another vote for All trumps. I used Better for Bread for a while and never got decent rim browning. I don't use sugar in my NY style.

Josh

Offline Polo1523

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 11:10:34 AM »
OK great information, thank you all and thanks Dough Dr, the reason I asked is because yesterday I was at RD to buy my supplies got all trumps 50lb bag, but saw a similar one and noticed it was harvest king, so I guess I already tried better for bread flours and for NY I really loved all trumps, my questions have been answered thanks all.

Leo.
Regards Leo.

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 08:27:23 PM »
Trumps.  Flavor is better i think.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 01:06:15 PM »
I find harvest king has a yellowish color when done compared to a white color with all trumps.  I use HK for all our artisan breads, all trumps for bagels, and all trumps or full strength for thin NY style pizza.  Walter

Online The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 02:56:07 PM »
Walter;
The yellowish color that you note is due to the flour being unbleached. The brighter white color of the flour is an indication that it has been bleached. This is just a color thing and does not impact the performance of the flour in any way. Fact is, when making pizza crust it is all but impossible to distinguish if a bleached or unbleached flour was used when looking at the finished crust. With bread you can tell, but not with pizza crust, it's just too thin.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 03:01:25 PM »
Walter;
The yellowish color that you note is due to the flour being unbleached. The brighter white color of the flour is an indication that it has been bleached. This is just a color thing and does not impact the performance of the flour in any way. Fact is, when making pizza crust it is all but impossible to distinguish if a bleached or unbleached flour was used when looking at the finished crust. With bread you can tell, but not with pizza crust, it's just too thin.

Tom:  Thanks for the info.  I figured that was the reason.  I never have used HK for pizza but I sure like it for our french/italian and sourdough breads.   Walter

pizzapan