Author Topic: Is there anything better than fresh ingredients from your garden?  (Read 1307 times)

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
"Better Boy" Tomatoes & basil picked 5 minutes before baking. Life is good.

My pizza's are never very photogenic, but they sure taste good.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 09:41:44 AM by JD »
Josh

Offline redox

Re: Is there anything better than fresh ingredients from your garden?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 12:53:21 PM »
Well, picking fresh ingredients from my neighbor's garden in the middle of the night is pretty awesome.  :-D

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 08:15:21 PM »
I grow tomatoes but not for pizzas. I just grow them for other things. I normally just use Alta Cucina canned tomatoes for the sauce.

The tomatoes I grow are Pineapple Tomato which is a big tomatoe that has some stripes on it similiar to Mr. Stripey and I grow Momortaro which is a Japanese tomato.

I do however grow basil and oregano that I use for the sauce. It's picked from the garden right when I make the sauce. 

I did try to grow parsley and failed. I should have tried again. I know it would have worked the second time around. The first time I put it in a bad spot.  I use parsley for meatball making.

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 07:56:15 AM »
Those are strange looking, how do they taste?

I've tried to grow cilantro this year and it's just too hot. I'm guessing you have the same problem in LA?
Josh

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 02:58:31 PM »
Those are strange looking, how do they taste?

I've tried to grow cilantro this year and it's just too hot. I'm guessing you have the same problem in LA?

Out here in the Wild West, I mean LA it is very hot too. I think my parsley died because I neglected it. The basil, oregano, thyme, curie and sage are doing really well. Just have to water them.

As far as tomatoes go this is my first season ever for growing pineapple tomatoes so not sure how they'll taste. The Japanese tomato Momortaro are very good. Next year you should try to grow some.

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 08:01:36 PM »
Well, picking fresh ingredients from my neighbor's garden in the middle of the night is pretty awesome.  :-D

Naughty naughty
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 10:25:42 AM »
Our home garden is just booming this year. We have cherry tomatoes as well as a couple of different table varieties (Comet, Big Boy, and Better Boy) as well as a heritage variety that I got from my son. We use all of them on our pizzas made at home. As many of you might know, I am not a big fan of sauce, so my favorite is to simply brush the pizza skin with a little olive oil, spread on a couple cloves of our home grown garlic (minced), followed by several leaves of our home grown basil and oregano, then the thin sliced fresh tomato (I like to place them onto a paper towel to absorb some of the excess liquid from the tomato slices). I like to just barely cover the surface with the tomato slices, then add the cheese and toppings, and finish with a hand full of shredded Parmesan cheese. We have a sun room on the back of the house where I grow basil during the winter months here in Kansas. Once you start using fresh green leaf basil, it's hard to go back to using the bitter dried stuff.
We also grow a lot of squash that we use as a pizza topping too, but our favorite dish using squash is to grate a couple medium size zucchini and a yellow squash or two, put this into a frying pan and heat thoroughly, tossing often. Then add about 1/2 cup of heavy cream, three garlic cloves thin sliced, about a dozen basil leaves, and the zest from 1/2 of a lemon, continue heating and then add 3 to 4-ounces of Parmesan cheese, stirring in until melted, serve immediately over your favorite pasta. For variety we will occasionally add pieces of fresh tomato, or use our own dried tomato (great way to use all of those prolific cherry tomatoes), or onion, and even some sweet banana pepper slices. Any way you cut it, it's good stuff!
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 10:56:57 AM »
Our home garden is just booming this year. We have cherry tomatoes as well as a couple of different table varieties (Comet, Big Boy, and Better Boy) as well as a heritage variety that I got from my son. We use all of them on our pizzas made at home. As many of you might know, I am not a big fan of sauce, so my favorite is to simply brush the pizza skin with a little olive oil, spread on a couple cloves of our home grown garlic (minced), followed by several leaves of our home grown basil and oregano, then the thin sliced fresh tomato (I like to place them onto a paper towel to absorb some of the excess liquid from the tomato slices). I like to just barely cover the surface with the tomato slices, then add the cheese and toppings, and finish with a hand full of shredded Parmesan cheese. We have a sun room on the back of the house where I grow basil during the winter months here in Kansas. Once you start using fresh green leaf basil, it's hard to go back to using the bitter dried stuff.
We also grow a lot of squash that we use as a pizza topping too, but our favorite dish using squash is to grate a couple medium size zucchini and a yellow squash or two, put this into a frying pan and heat thoroughly, tossing often. Then add about 1/2 cup of heavy cream, three garlic cloves thin sliced, about a dozen basil leaves, and the zest from 1/2 of a lemon, continue heating and then add 3 to 4-ounces of Parmesan cheese, stirring in until melted, serve immediately over your favorite pasta. For variety we will occasionally add pieces of fresh tomato, or use our own dried tomato (great way to use all of those prolific cherry tomatoes), or onion, and even some sweet banana pepper slices. Any way you cut it, it's good stuff!

Tom,

Great to hear your home garden is doing so well this year!  ;D

I would like to use more fresh tomatoes and other veggies from my garden on pizza.  I wondered if you have a favorite homemade Alfredo sauce recipe to go along with the fresh veggies from the garden.

Norma 
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 12:02:35 PM »
We also grow a lot of squash that we use as a pizza topping too, but our favorite dish using squash is to grate a couple medium size zucchini and a yellow squash or two, put this into a frying pan and heat thoroughly, tossing often. Then add about 1/2 cup of heavy cream, three garlic cloves thin sliced, about a dozen basil leaves, and the zest from 1/2 of a lemon, continue heating and then add 3 to 4-ounces of Parmesan cheese, stirring in until melted, serve immediately over your favorite pasta.

This sounds great, I will try it sometime.

Last night I made red curry shrimp (fresh from the Gulf) and used sweet banana peppers & basil from the garden. Turned out really nice. I only have a small "garden" this year, next year I'll be expanding.
Josh

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 09:12:08 AM »
Norma;
Here is my "secret" recipe for Alfredo sauce. Very lightly saute several cloves of sliced fresh garlic in olive oil (just to pop the flavor), not to brown it. Set aside. In a sauce pan or deep side fry pan add some heavy whipping cream,  heat until you just begin to see bubbles around the edges, then add the garlic and whisk in, then add Parmesan cheese until the sauce is thickened to the desired consistency, add a good dose of freshly ground white pepper and whisk in, here's the wrinkle; I then add about a dozen fresh basil leaves that have been rolled and cut into small pieces and stir in with a spoon. Have your pasta plated and immediately serve over the pasta. The amount that I normally make is based on about 1/2 carton (1-cup) of heavy whipping cream and it serves two. During the summer months I puree all of my surplus basil in olive oil and freeze. Then, during the winter months if I don't have enough fresh basil growing in the sunroom I can simply add a spoon or two of the pureed basil to my Alfredo sauce. Right now I already have four pints of pureed basil from this years crop in the freezer along with I don't know how many baggies of dried tomatoes....it's going to be a good winter. By the way, some time back I posted that I have never had any luck growing bell peppers, well, it appears that I've had a change in luck this year. While I only have one bell pepper plant (due to my previous failures) this year it is doing great! It is loaded with developing peppers that are already bigger than I've ever had before. I'm guessing that we'll soon be eating stuffed bell peppers along with our stuffed tomatoes. Life is good when the garden is great.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 09:28:47 AM »
Norma;
Here is my "secret" recipe for Alfredo sauce. Very lightly saute several cloves of sliced fresh garlic in olive oil (just to pop the flavor), not to brown it. Set aside. In a sauce pan or deep side fry pan add some heavy whipping cream,  heat until you just begin to see bubbles around the edges, then add the garlic and whisk in, then add Parmesan cheese until the sauce is thickened to the desired consistency, add a good dose of freshly ground white pepper and whisk in, here's the wrinkle; I then add about a dozen fresh basil leaves that have been rolled and cut into small pieces and stir in with a spoon. Have your pasta plated and immediately serve over the pasta. The amount that I normally make is based on about 1/2 carton (1-cup) of heavy whipping cream and it serves two. During the summer months I puree all of my surplus basil in olive oil and freeze. Then, during the winter months if I don't have enough fresh basil growing in the sunroom I can simply add a spoon or two of the pureed basil to my Alfredo sauce. Right now I already have four pints of pureed basil from this years crop in the freezer along with I don't know how many baggies of dried tomatoes....it's going to be a good winter. By the way, some time back I posted that I have never had any luck growing bell peppers, well, it appears that I've had a change in luck this year. While I only have one bell pepper plant (due to my previous failures) this year it is doing great! It is loaded with developing peppers that are already bigger than I've ever had before. I'm guessing that we'll soon be eating stuffed bell peppers along with our stuffed tomatoes. Life is good when the garden is great.

Tom,

Thanks so much for posting your “secret” recipe for Alfredo sauce.  ;D  I like the wrinkle part with the fresh basil leaves.  I have a lot of basil growing in my garden this year because I wanted to taste how different varieties taste and grow.  I don't think I knew that fresh basil could be pureed with olive oil and then frozen.  That is also great way of using basil. 

Great to hear your peppers plants are doing well this year.   I agree that life is good if the garden does well.

Norma

Offline Polo1523

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 03:04:36 PM »
Has someone tasted Purple basil? and what is your take on the flavor.
Regards Leo.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 05:49:00 PM »

Leo,

I think I only tasted purple basil dried from the time I purchased it at Reply 1 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10535.msg94138.html#msg94138  I don't recall being to wild about the taste, but fresh purple basil might be different.

Norma

Offline dhorst

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 06:13:28 PM »
It depends what kind of purple basil.  I've grown some that has a strong anise flavor and then others that has a spicy flavor with cinnamon undertones.

Offline Polo1523

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 11:48:55 AM »
I tasted a spicy one with cinnamon flavor, it was real good, and off course looks beautiful for garnishing a dish.
Regards Leo.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 12:33:35 PM »
Polo;
That is one of the varieties I'm growing this year. While not as flowery as regular sweet basil, the purple basil has a more spicy, complex flavor profile that while slightly different, seems to work very well in pizza and pasta applications. Keep in mind that I only use fresh basil, rather than dry my surplus, I puree it with a little olive oil for use during the winter months.

Offline Polo1523

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2013, 12:42:58 PM »
That is very nice Tom and impresive, I would love to grow purple basil my self too, I will definitely give it a try, I do have green basil, oregano, rosemary, and tomatoes.

Regards Leo.

pizzapan