Author Topic: My attempt at Chicago thin crust.  (Read 2358 times)

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
My attempt at Chicago thin crust.
« on: August 01, 2013, 03:49:30 PM »
Before I take the plunge, I want to make sure I have a good idea of what I am trying to achieve. So, a few questions before I start my quest for Chicago thin.

1 I should use AP flour instead of bread flour, as in KAAP, not KABF?
2 The hydration is 50%. This sounds close to cracker style percentages.
3 3% oil is what the ingredient list says, but I have seen some are going to 4%, which is more popular?
4 I have seen that some like to double the yeast amount, would this be a wise move for me.
5 Stone or not to stone? It seems that cooking in a pan and not on the stone is the preferred way, am I correct in this.
6 The TF is .09, but some like it all the way down to .07TF. That seems pretty thin. Should I go with the .09, or maybe somewhere in between, like .08TF.
7 When I do the rise in the oven for 1.5 hours, then move to the counter for the final rise, Should the bowl be covered or not.
8 I have a cutter pan that has 1 inch tall sides. Should the skin just fit the bottom, or should it go up the edges of the pan like I do on a cracker crust?
9  Since this style of pie cooks longer in the oven, I don't need to pre-bake the sausage for this style of pie?

I'm sure I forgot something that I will remember later. Thanks guys!

Offline redox

Re: My attempt at Chicago thin crust.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 03:55:39 PM »
If you're trying your first Chicago thin crust why not take a look at Garvey's procedure? His pizza is my favorite thin crust but even if you don't use it, there is a lot of info about making thin crust pizza.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17662.0.html

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 03:57:14 PM »
I would suggest choosing a formulation and reading the whole thread that pertains to it.  If you pick a popular formulation, the thread will answer all of your questions.

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 03:57:48 PM »
If you're trying your first Chicago thin crust why not take a look at Garvey's procedure? His pizza is my favorite thin crust but even if you don't use it, there is a lot of info about making thin crust pizza.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17662.0.html

I was just going to suggest the same thing!  You can't go too far wrong with Garvey's recipe. He gives you all the info you need to make a great pizza.

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 03:59:53 PM »
And I agree with the others that Garvey's Pizza Factory clone is a good one, but there are a number of other formulations that are great too.  Unfortunately, a lot of these haven't received the attention they deserve.  Here is a list of the different formulations that have been produced on this forum:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16422.0.html

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 04:03:23 PM »
Thanks guys! I had read Lou's thread and Chicago Bob's thread. They are both a little different, Lou uses a stone and Chicago Bob likes using a pan and no stone. Same with the yeast and oil amounts. I'm just trying to figure out which is best, or should I just try one, and then the other to see what I like best? Or maybe a combination of both, which I was leaning to. I am just trying to stay true to this style of pie.

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 04:07:44 PM »
Loowater's generic thin formulation was one of the earliest Chicago thin on the forum.  There has been a lot work and progress since then.  Personally, I think some of the newer formulations are better and more authentic.  My personal favorites are Garvey's Pizza Factory, Pete's Vito & Nick's, and Pete's Monicals.  I always use a stone (I think every single old school pizza shop i've ever been to uses a deck oven).
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 04:10:14 PM by CDNpielover »

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 04:11:26 PM »
I just looked at the Garvey thread. It looks a lot like the way I do my cracker crusts. I think this will be my first attempt to see how I like it. Then move on to trying to improve my technique. Thanks for starting me in the right direction. I will post pics and comments soon.

Offline redox

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 04:15:09 PM »
And I agree with the others that Garvey's Pizza Factory clone is a good one, but there are a number of other formulations that are great too.  Unfortunately, a lot of these haven't received the attention they deserve.  Here is a list of the different formulations that have been produced on this forum:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16422.0.html
Nick57 said he was a first-timer and Garvey's brilliantly detailed procedure leaves little to chance. Hence my reasoning for pointing him to that. That's a great list of thin crust pizzas. Which one or two of those are your favorites? Garvey's is so good I've been derelict in trying new ones.
"Hence"...I really need to change the page on my Word-a-Day Calendar.  :D

Offline redox

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 04:16:42 PM »
I just looked at the Garvey thread. It looks a lot like the way I do my cracker crusts. I think this will be my first attempt to see how I like it. Then move on to trying to improve my technique. Thanks for starting me in the right direction. I will post pics and comments soon.
Good luck, I'll be looking for the pics.

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 04:38:43 PM »
Thanks redox and everybody for the kind words.  I was going to suggest that even if you don't actually use my exact dough recipe, please read through the procedure, just to get a feel for how this style can be put together.

Once my formulation was nailed down, the writing of that recipe went through many, many drafts (over many years, actually), to make it instructional, so that anyone should be able to follow it.  (I didn't just sit down at this site and bang it out one day. ;-))

Cheers,
Garvey

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 05:16:34 PM »
Thanks guys for the great info. I just happen to have enough KAAP on hand to make a 14" pie. I'll make the dough ball tonight. I think I'll go for the 72 hour rise in the fridge. It looks pretty close to the way I do my cracker crusts, so this should be pretty easy. I hope! Sunday will be pizza day, I'll let you guys know about my success or failure. I'm betting on success, Garvey's instructions are pretty straight forward. Off to the mixer I go.....

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 06:53:41 PM »
I finished the dough ball and it's in the fridge. I did the mixer method for my first try. I finished Garvey's thread and saw the "No Knead Method." That is the same method I use for my cracker crust pies. I put all the dry ingredients in the bowl, then add the liquids. I use a spatula to mix the dough till it just comes together. I dump the mixture onto the counter and hand form it into a ball. I found by working the dough less, and being more gentle with the mixing, it comes out crisper. In the past I did a kneaded dough for a cracker crust. It did make for a softer crust. On my next try I will do a no knead pie.

Offline redox

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 07:01:01 PM »
I finished the dough ball and it's in the fridge. I did the mixer method for my first try. I finished Garvey's thread and saw the "No Knead Method." That is the same method I use for my cracker crust pies. I put all the dry ingredients in the bowl, then add the liquids. I use a spatula to mix the dough till it just comes together. I dump the mixture onto the counter and hand form it into a ball. I found by working the dough less, and being more gentle with the mixing, it comes out crisper. In the past I did a kneaded dough for a cracker crust. It did make for a softer crust. On my next try I will do a no knead pie.
I almost forgot, some info and pics of Garvey's pizza that I made. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17662.180.html
Reply #187
And my own thread here. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25907.0.html
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 07:04:21 PM by redox »

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2013, 07:47:31 PM »
Them's some purdy good lookin' pies. I don't know if I can wait till Sunday, I may croak in anticipation.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2013, 12:30:43 AM »
I forgot to ask. Are the skins usually docked for this style?

Offline redox

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2013, 12:37:01 AM »
I forgot to ask. Are the skins usually docked for this style?
Not for Garvey's but other ones may be.

Offline redox

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2013, 12:38:30 AM »
If in doubt, dock.  :)
It can't hurt.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2013, 12:47:43 AM »
Thanks. I had seen some that were docked and others that weren't. There was no mention of it on Garvey's thread, but I just wanted to be sure. I won't dock it. In about 16 hours the pie will be in the oven. I'll have sweet dreams tonight.

Offline redox

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2013, 03:34:33 AM »

Offline dwighttsharpe

View Profile
        Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Chicago Thin - a labor of love
Reply #129 on: April 30, 2012, 02:10:15 PM

Garvey, after rolling out, is your dough docked/pricked?

Thanks.
Ignore   Report to moderator   Logged
Dwight
Offline Garvey

I wish could have pizza every day.
        View Profile
        Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Chicago Thin - a labor of love
Reply #130 on: April 30, 2012, 02:46:32 PM

dwighttsharpe,

No need to dock it. I have experimented with docking but this recipe is not designed with docking in mind.

Cheers,
Garvey