Author Topic: Pizza & Wine Parings  (Read 433 times)

Offline trosenberg

• Burning Desire for Pizza
Pizza & Wine Parings
« on: August 04, 2013, 07:53:48 PM »
It is obvious that some of you love wine almost as much as pizza.  I would love to hear what some of your favorite wine & pizza parings are.  Thanks. 
Trosenberg

Offline Oceans05

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Pizza & Wine Parings
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 10:50:48 PM »
The last party I had for my girlfriends birthday and her friends, I paired:

Pinot Noir with the sopressata
sangiovese with margherita
syrah with BBQ chicken and onion
zinfandel with the arugula prosciutto

Was pretty good! the wines I purchased from Trader Joe's. I can't recall exactly what label atm.

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Pizza & Wine Parings
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 11:16:25 PM »
     My favorite pizza/wine combinations usually involve red wine. I'm partial to northern Italians like Barbera (Asti over Alba), dolcetto, lagrein, chambave. I prefer them youthful, without a lot of oak-- these for me stand up to & work well with most pizzas that I make. From the south, I like aglianico (from near Naples, of course!), salice salentino from puglia, ciro from Calabria, & Nero d'avola from Sicily. Frappatto is another interesting, aromatic Sicilian that works well.
     Also, dry (bubbly) Lambrusco is fantastic- but it can be difficult to find as most shops don't carry it.
From California, Zinfandel is a favorite w/ pizza, especially in the hands of a good producer like Carlisle, or Bedrock.
Southern French reds from Syrah, caringan & Mourvèdre are natural fits for me, as well..
     That said on red.... prosecco works too, as do dry rose, especially when it's hot!

-clay

pizzapan