Author Topic: Villa Rosa Mozzarella??  (Read 546 times)

Offline Hobbs

Villa Rosa Mozzarella??
« on: August 09, 2013, 01:20:10 PM »
I was browsing the gourmetitalian website and they sell two different types of 6lb blocks of mozzarella...and a search for Villa Rosa on here comes up empty. Wonder by chance if anybody gave it a twirl?

It's description is pretty intriguing to me...Especially this part

This is whole milk cheese with a soft texture, and slightly sweet flavor. It has a low moisture content for better consistency once cooked. Mozzarella is cheese perfect for pizza, it is stringy fresh out of the oven, and does not dry out nor burn easily.

Until I realized they were speaking generally about the "burn resistance" of mozzarella...I was hoping that this would give Grande a run in that category. I might take a dive anyway.

In addition, the other mozz they offer is Foremost Farms...and a search on here reveals that it is not full mozz? It's actually brick cheese? There is no mention of a blend in it's description on it's website. Any insight?

Thanks!

Offline Zing

Re: Villa Rosa Mozzarella??
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 12:35:53 AM »
An examination of the photograph of the Villa Rosa cheese indicates it is a private label mozzarella of Youngstown Wholesale Grocery Co, owners of the http://www.gourmetitalian.com website. A number of northeast Italian foodservice distributors are selling their own brand of mozzarella, including Penn Mac in Pittsburgh and Prima Foods in Baltimore. Prima's is very good, and cheap. They even cut to order in their retail store. I have not been able to find out who makes these cheeses. If Youngstown's restaurant clients are using it, it is probably good.

As far as the Foremost, it is mozzarella they are selling. You are probably referring to the discussion about Buddy's pizza, which uses a blend of cheeses. Foremost would get in trouble with the feds if they sold brick cheese labeled as mozzarella.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Villa Rosa Mozzarella??
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 06:25:36 AM »
Hobbs,

I use Foremost Farms LMPS mozzarella and have tried Foremost Farms whole milk mozzarella.  I like both of them. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!