Author Topic: Donato's, anyone?  (Read 2989 times)

Offline Flagpull

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Donato's, anyone?
« on: February 16, 2006, 11:29:39 PM »
I grew up on this stuff while visiting my grandparents and I would love to emulate it, at least to some extent, at home.

A few things - they use provolone cheese, or so says their website...I have never thought much about adding provolone, but I will now.

Any idea what I can do to emulate the sauce?

Their dough is FANTASTIC....a slight crisp, wonderful bits of thick cornmeal in every bite. I am salivating thinking about it...

http://static.flickr.com/24/94251956_f518fd3cfc.jpg
At least I have my NY recipes to keep me calm.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 11:35:36 PM by Flagpull »

Offline chrisgraff

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Donato's, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 11:47:19 PM »
Donatos is my guilty pleasure.  Damn good....even if they are owned by McDonald's!   :-\

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 12:09:04 AM »
chrisgraff,

McDonald's no longer owns or controls Donato's. They sold the business back to Jim Grote, the original founder of Donato's.

Peter

Offline Wazatron

• 100% Pizza!!
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 09:16:58 PM »
Hey there Flagpull - a friend of mine used to work at Donato’s back in the day, so I asked him what he might remember.  Donato's is of course pretty secretive (as everyone is) about their recipes, but here's what I got.

------
The dough came to the store pre-made and frozen. We would just take the shells of the dough and put it into a machine that would thaw them. The sauce was canned....2 cans of tomato paste, 1 can of crushed tomatoes of the same brand. I can't remember the exact brand of sauce and paste. The kicker is that there was plastic jar of seasoning that you would pour into the sauce mix that was put together else-where, came already mixed to the store. This is what really makes Donato's pizza and they keep it relatively protected. Everything else...vegetables, pepperoni, sausage...etc. is purchased from outside sources.
------

I tried making some sauce this eve using 1 28oz can of crushed tomatoes and 2 cans of tomato paste - the 5oz cans I think? - and the consistency came out just about right.  From there it's just guesswork, but I used some pretty standard stuff - oregano, basil, garlic powder, salt, a little bit of sugar, and some marjoram for fun.  Tastes pretty good room-temp, but the true test will come when it's on a pizza of course.

I've also gotten some guidance from the guys on the board on the dough.  Seems Round Table pizza makes their pizza in a very similar way.  There's a lot of info on the Round Table pizza's out there.  I plan on getting a perforated pan and trying out a round table recipe with this homemade sauce, some wonderful provolone cheese, and "over 100 slices of pepperoni"!  haha!   :-D

I'm also going to ask my friend some more specific questions - if there's anything you think might be helpful to ask, let me know.  I know there's not too many of us Donato's freaks here on the boards, but working together I know we'll crack the recipe!!

Offline buckeyes

• PIZZA FOR EVERY MEAL
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 01:13:35 PM »
Wow, Central Ohio pizza fans.  Nice to know.  Grew up in Columbus and I like donatos a lot.  Every now and then I'll have them par bake one for me so I can finish baking it when I get home to Toledo.  I really miss the pizza down there. :'(

The sauces for most of the pizzas in the area are great.  I think your right on with the sauce recipe, I've notice that my sauce thickens nicely when I mix paste with crushed tomato.  My mother would use paste in her homemade spaghetti sauce so it wouldn't need to simmer as long to thicken.  Not a bad short cut. It would cut hours off her recipe.   ;D

I enjoy Massey's, Rubinos, Zammerellis, josseppis, mennellis, tommys just to name a few of the pizza houses from the Columbus area.  They all seem to have their own styles but have a lot of the same characteristics.  I think that the pepperoni is the secret???  Thick cut and a true spicy flavor. >:D