Author Topic: Essen1's NY-style pizza project  (Read 96297 times)

Offline willsanquil

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Essen1's NY-style pizza project
« Reply #880 on: August 02, 2013, 08:30:09 PM »
After much deliberation and reading of Mikes thread and drooling at his pies over and over, I decided on two Recipes to try for a pizza party I'm throwing.  Each of these is for a 3x ball batch of 14" pie. I used a kitchen scale to get the amounts as close to perfect as possible.

Flour (100%) 798.22g
Water (60%) 478.93
ADY (.3%) 2.39g
Himalayan Pink Salt (2%) 15.96g
EVOO (2%) 15.96g
Organic Sugar (3%) 23.95g
Total(167.3%) 1335.43g
Single Ball 445.14g

Flour (100%) 785.31g
Water (64%) 502.6g
ADY (.3%) 2.36g
Himalayan Pink Salt (1.75%) 13.74g
EVOO (2%) 19.63g
Organic Sugar (1.5%) 11.78g
Total(170.05%) 1335.43g
Single Ball 445.14g

As I do not have a stand mixer I used a food processor and ziplock bags and the following mixing order:

Flour
Salt
Sugar

Pulse to combine, then add

Yeast

Pulse to combine, then turn processor on and add

oil + water

Leave on for ~1 minute, until dough turns into a ball and passes the windowpane test

Dough is then floured and worked into a ball and put into a large ziplock bag for 5 hours in the fridge and then divided into even balls and placed in their own smaller ziplock bags and back into the refrigerator.  I prepared 4 batches of dough:

#1 - all caputo flour, #33
#2 - 50/50 caputo/Gold Bread Flour, #33
#3 - all bread flour, #32
#4 - all caputo, #32

I prepared them on thursday night at ~10pm, then had to leave to do a show and got back at 3 am when I divided them into even balls. It is friday 4pm and I cooked 3 pizzas but I freaking forgot to see which balls I took out (their individual bags were labeled but in my haste I totally spaced it)

Let them sit for not even an hour before working them due to time limits.  They were each the best pizza I have ever made - each one topped the last.  The first two were a bit shy of the 14" I was aiming for due to me not having a good handle on stretching and cornicione technique.  However, the last one was just shy of the full 16" of my pizza screen.

The last one was...one of the best pizzas I have ever eaten.  I nailed the sauce, got my dough stretching technique down a bit more and topped it with the perfect amount of cheese.  It was foldable and thin and everything I want a NY pie to be - the thing I like the most about NY pies are the thin/foldable nature of the crust and the saltysweet tang of the mozz + sauce.

The sauce was super easy and very good - 2 tbsp of butter and 2 tbsp of olive oil in a pot with a bit of fresh basil and oregano, simmered for a minute then drop a 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes (the brand is the same one that mike used in a post,can't remember which one off the top of my head) along with some salt and sugar.  Heat 5 minutes on low then take off heat and tweak salt/sugar before putting on pizza.

As far as baking, I preheated the oven at 500 for an hour with my pizza stone in it..and my new 16" pizza screen came in today, so I built the pies on that and slid them in with my wooden peel.  What was in the past a very frustrating endeavour (sliding the pizza onto the stone) is now super easy and enjoyable.  I got a very nice coloration on the bottom - just how I like it (forgive my blasphemy but I don't like black char on the bottom of my pizza) and I didn't have to use the broiler because the cheese was browned how I like it.  I put my stone in the middle of the oven.

I can't wait to see what these doughs taste like tomorrow at my pizza party once they've had more time to cold ferment.

Super happy that I can make NY style pizzas that live up to my standards without a proper oven and without a stand mixer!

Offline communist

Re: Essen1's NY-style pizza project
« Reply #881 on: August 02, 2013, 08:53:59 PM »
Pies are looking very good!  The food processor is just as good as the Kitchen Aid mixer - some say it is even better.     
Mark