Author Topic: My attempt at Chicago thin crust.  (Read 2461 times)

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
Re: My attempt at Chicago thin crust.
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2013, 06:32:59 PM »
Mamma Mia, that's some spicy pizza pie Garvey! It was the tastiest pizza I have made. I followed Garvey's formula to the letter for the skin and the sauce. I sized my dough ball for a 16" pie  with a .07TF. I opened the ball to 16" and then used my cutter pan to cut out the skin to 14" to fit my stone.

Cook time was 15 minutes. The bottom of the crust was crispy, and the inside was light and chewy. It had a very easy bite, with no toughness to the dough. It was very filling, so I have about half a pie for leftovers. My taster loved it. I really like the flavor of the sauce along with spiciness. I will use it on my other styles of pies. I want to thank everyone for their input, especially Gavery, for taking the time and effort to post this wonderful recipe, and sharing it with the forum, and helping me.

Now I can make a great cracker crust, NY style, and a Chi style thin. I'm not sure witch style I prefer, but I really like this pie. It turned out great for my first try. Must be the detailed instructions. ;D

So does it look like I am in the ballpark for the thickness?

« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 09:19:06 PM by nick57 »

Offline redox

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2013, 06:59:44 PM »
Nick, that's a beautiful example of a Chicago pie! It looks like you could go a bit thinner on the pie, though. Let's see what an expert like Chicago Bob has to say.
I'll bet it was delicious. Excellent job.  :drool:

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2013, 07:10:41 PM »
Thanks Redox. I thought it may have been just a tad thick. I used the dough calculator for the size of the dough ball at 16" I may not have got it quite to 16. I used my 14" cutter pan to cut out the skin. The toppings were Garvey's sauce with,  6oz of Mozz and 6oz of Johnsonville ground mild Italian sausage that was doctored up with crushed fennel seed and black pepper.

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2013, 08:01:58 PM »
Thanks Redox. I thought it may have been just a tad thick. I used the dough calculator for the size of the dough ball at 16" I may not have got it quite to 16. I used my 14" cutter pan to cut out the skin. The toppings were Garvey's sauce with,  6oz of Mozz and 6oz of Johnsonville ground mild Italian sausage that was doctored up with crushed fennel seed and black pepper.

Nick,

Excellent pie.  That almost looks like Home Run Inn thickness right there.  Go a tad thinner and see what u like best.

Did you happen to see Garvey's sausage recipe on the 1st page of that thread?  It's better than anything I can find at the store.

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2013, 11:32:14 PM »
Wow, Nick, gorgeous pie, and thanks for the feedback and kind words.  You really nailed that pizza--well browned and all.

Happy eating!

Cheers,
Garvey

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2013, 01:33:16 AM »
I had seen the sausage recipe. I don't have a meat grinder, but maybe I could use the food processor. I do have a friend who is a butcher, Hmmm...

Thanks Garvey! It was one of the easiest pies I have made. I did the 3 day rest, and the skin rolled out easily. I think your sauce recipe is what nailed if for me. Nice and spicy. I may up the heat on my next batch of the Red Gold. I will go thinner on the next pie, and try the no knead technique. I'll post a few picks. I'm looking forward to the leftovers tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for the help. :)

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2013, 09:44:11 AM »
Nick:

You can use pre-ground pork.  Just get something that isn't too lean.  Something like 80/20 is good.  Stay away from anything calling itself lean, like ground loin or the 90/10 stuff. 

PIZZA FACTORY SAUSAGE

Note: You must use a scale for this sausage. There is no way to accurately estimate the amount of salt needed otherwise. This recipe can be made with pre-ground pork as well. Mix ingredients as directed in Day 1, allow to rest at least 8 hours, then skip the grinding step and proceed as directed in the paddling step in Day 2 (i.e., all you need is the first step of Day 1 and last step of Day 2).

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2013, 11:16:42 AM »
My usual grocery store has name brand ground pork, but it is just awful. I do know where I can get the 80/20 mix, so I'll give the recipe a try. Should taste better than the Johnsonville, though after I fix it up, it tastes pretty good.

I had some leftovers, and they were just as good as yesterday. I want to Get Chicago Bob's take on my pie. He is a wealth of knowledge on those Chicago pies.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 12:45:35 PM by nick57 »

pizzapan