Author Topic: Basics  (Read 792 times)

Offline Jako

• I Love Pizza!
Basics
« on: August 09, 2013, 11:13:29 AM »
Hi

Can you please answer a few questions.

What ingredient in dough makes the pizza turn brown when cooked? My pizzas turn brown even almost black before they are really done.

How can I stop my pizzas from drooping? I adjusted the hydration level to 60% but still the same.

Can you help me with a dough recipe that can help me with commercial production(speed) in a woodfired oven. The pizza I'm looking for must be crisp on the outside and soft in the middle but must be able to carry its own weight when you pick up a slice.

Jako

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Basics
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 11:41:17 AM »
Jako,

It might help Tom if you provide some additional information, including the following:

1. The dough recipe you are using, and the type or style of pizza you are trying to make with that recipe.

2. The type and brand of flour you are using, including its protein content, the absorption rate if you know it, and whether the flour is malted or unmalted.

3. Whether you are using any sugar, or other sweetener in the dough, or milk or egg product.

4. Whether you are using any oil or other fat in the dough.

5. The weight of dough you are using to make the pizzas, and the corresponding pizza size.

6. The amounts of cheese, sauce and toppings (including types) you are typically using for your pizzas.

7. The make and model of your WFO and the bake temperature of that oven, and typical bake times.

Peter
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 11:43:08 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline Jako

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 01:26:47 PM »
Hi Pete-zza

The recipe is: Yeast 1.4 %
                      sugar(brown) 4%
                      olive oil 4.8%
                      water 60%
                      salt 2%
                      Bread flower 23% protein. Typical brand we get in South Africa.

The typical cooking time is about 4-5min at a high temp but I started tweaking my recipe (added salt sugar and use less hydration for more flavour and more sturdy pizza ) and now the pizzas turn brown and then black in no time but stays soft and uncooked. 

The pizza I'm looking for is soft in the middle crisp on the outside and cooks in high temp.

I just want to know that what of the above mentioned ingredients that I added causes my problem so I can fix it.

Jako

Offline sonny.eymann

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 02:55:25 PM »
Before i started 6 weeks ago on a mission to making deck pizzas suitable for a business. I have cooked as a hobby for years on gas assisted wood fired outdoor oven and a weber grill with a pizza stone.
recipes work best are with AP flour.
water is good at 60%  salt and yeast.
no sugar
no oil
When the bottom is light brown it time to get it out. If the top is not done than it is time to change the heat profile ie. more heat in the dome
Is the oven new to you?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 02:58:03 PM »
Jako,

I am not familiar with how protein content of a flour is stated in SA, but did you mean 13%? Also, do you know if the flour is malted?

With respect to the yeast, is it fresh yeast, instant dry yeast or active dry yeast?

You did not provide a response to items 5 and 6.

Are you baking the pizzas using the recipe you recited in the wood-fired oven?

I think I know what is happening but I think it would help Tom to have the full story.

Peter

pizzapan