Author Topic: Guess which famous square pie inspired this effort  (Read 2326 times)

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
Guess which famous square pie inspired this effort
« on: August 04, 2013, 09:17:15 PM »
Important to note - I've NEVER tried the original version, having only read about it and seen pics and videos.

Having said that, I was very satisfied with how this pie came out. So, any guesses?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 09:20:28 PM by Johnny the Gent »
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: Guess which famous square pie inspired this effort
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 09:56:53 PM »
Dunno, but I would be on that like dog on stink.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 10:22:03 PM »
Not L&B crumb is too open  ???
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline RockyMountainPie

• I Knead Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 02:14:24 AM »
I'd guess a Buddy's Detroit style.  Looks tasty!!

--Tim

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 02:32:47 AM »
That looks so good!  Please share your recipe.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 05:59:25 AM »
Wold it be from reading through our girl Norma's thread??? I haven't tried her Detroit style yet but I'm going too soon!!

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 10:11:20 AM »
Johnny the Gent,

Was your pizza made with the Enkir wheat flour?  http://www.formaggiokitchen.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=2379   The crumb looks so different so that is why I am asking.  I haven't seen your type of crumb many times.  I am thinking your pizza might be a Pizzarium style of pizza.

Norma

Edit:  In this article it says that enkir flour is a natural yellow color. http://www.mulinomarino.it/eng/cereali.php Your crumb looks more yellow that most crumbs I have seen.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 10:16:51 AM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 06:02:22 PM »
 ^^^

Peter

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 07:50:51 PM »
This was an attempt to make an L&B style pie. Tough thing to do considering I've never tried the real deal. I have read plenty about the L&B pie, so I was curious to make something similar. Based on what I've seen, my crumb was indeed  too open (and, for lack of a better word - different, as Norma observed).

Like many other members have done, I plan to tinker some more with this recipe. The pie is simple, but so delicious. Honest is an adjective that comes to mind.

Here's what I remember from my "thrown together last minute recipe":

AP Flour 100%
Water     66%
EVOO     4%
Salt        1.8%
Cake yeast 1%

Salt dissolved in cold water - CY whisked in, followed by flour.  Once all the flour was incorporated - hand kneaded for another couple minutes, followed by oil.  No stretch or folding - I made it a point to avoid this because I was after a tighter crumb structure.   Room temperature rise, it took about 4 hours to get big and gassy (more than double). I gently laid out the dough into the oiled pan, and gently stretched open the dough, using fingertips.  I had to knock the dough down a couple times over a period of one hour, then it was ready to bake.  No parbaking - all toppings on and into the oven at 300 deg celsius for about 15 min (10 minutes on the bottom, 5 min up top).

I hope to be able to reproduce this same dough, because I really did like it.  Next time I'll use a longer cold rise to develop more flavor...

Thanks for chiming in,

*Norma - the photos were taken under natural sunlight in the backyard, underneath a local fruit tree (Jabuticaba) There is indeed a yellowish hue to the dough, which I attribute to the lighting conditions. Next time I'll try to snap a pic in the shade or indoors.
J
Il miglior fabbro

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 08:43:01 PM »
Johnny the Gent,

I did eat L&B Spumoni Gardens pizza at Reply 249 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17885.msg175828.html#msg175828 and your pizza looks much better than theirs.  I would like your open crumb much better.  ;D

Thanks for telling me you attribute the color of the crumb to your lighting conditions.

Norma

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 09:07:14 PM »
Norma,

Thanks for the link - I somehow missed that. Great pics, too. Lots of good info there. Thanks for the compliment! I'll intentionally be trying to get a denser crumb, so that should be interesting. We'll see how it goes!

J
Il miglior fabbro

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 06:08:59 AM »
Norma,

Thanks for the link - I somehow missed that. Great pics, too. Lots of good info there. Thanks for the compliment! I'll intentionally be trying to get a denser crumb, so that should be interesting. We'll see how it goes!

J

John,

Chau's pizza crawl with all those members was fun.  Will be interesting if you intentionally try to get a denser crumb.  I like more open crumbs like yours much better, but guess you will find out how you like denser crumbs.  Maybe you have made denser crumbs before, but I haven't seen them.

Norma

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 06:43:56 AM »
The L&B crumb is tighter/denser visually but still very light in texture.  I agree with Norma.  like the look of your open crumb better.  Thanks for posting your recipe.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 12:01:29 PM »
Johnny,

I would say that you have a particular mastery of and appreciation for subtleties in crumb structure in all things baked!

Being that you are geographically challenged (from a NE USA pizza standpoint) I guess you are going to have to decide (and tell us) which of your recipes you like better --- open or closed. Who is to say which is "better"?

Chau says he likes the look of yours (maybe more than the L+B, which he's had) and on the other hand John Conklin was able to tell right off the bat that your crumb was more open than L+B. We sure have a lot of qualified people here! :)  I was sorry to not have tasted L+ B on my recent trip to NY.

Please keep us up on any further experiments here!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2013, 12:05:24 PM »
It's definitely more open that L&B. I wasn't all that impressed with L&B (visited with Chau). Yours looks much better, IMO.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2013, 08:01:19 AM »
The L&B crumb is tighter/denser visually but still very light in texture.  I agree with Norma.  like the look of your open crumb better.  Thanks for posting your recipe.

tighter & denser, yet still light - that's the part I find intriguing. One of these days Iīll get close enough. Thanks!

It's definitely more open that L&B. I wasn't all that impressed with L&B (visited with Chau). Yours looks much better, IMO.

Craig, what was it that didn't appeal to you about the L&B pie?  Do you recall the flavor of the dough? My guess is that they're using a same day dough, which may leave a bit to be desired in the flavor dept.

Johnny,

I would say that you have a particular mastery of and appreciation for subtleties in crumb structure in all things baked!

Being that you are geographically challenged (from a NE USA pizza standpoint) I guess you are going to have to decide (and tell us) which of your recipes you like better --- open or closed. Who is to say which is "better"?

Chau says he likes the look of yours (maybe more than the L+B, which he's had) and on the other hand John Conklin was able to tell right off the bat that your crumb was more open than L+B. We sure have a lot of qualified people here! :)  I was sorry to not have tasted L+ B on my recent trip to NY.

Please keep us up on any further experiments here!

John K

John, thank you very much for your kind words, but I must say, in the grand scheme of things, I'm very much a noobie (or is it newbie? :-D)? Nonetheless, I appreciate your feedback.  I don't use a machine mixer - every single pie I've made over the last several years have been hand mixed, so I've learned a lot.

Agreed - I think you'd be hard pressed to find a more experienced group of pizza enthusiasts than our very own pizzamaking.com forum.

OK - I'll be sure to share future experiments and results.

J
Il miglior fabbro

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2013, 08:09:43 AM »
Craig, what was it that didn't appeal to you about the L&B pie?  Do you recall the flavor of the dough? My guess is that they're using a same day dough, which may leave a bit to be desired in the flavor dept.

To me, the crumb was more bread than pizza. The flavor was fine. It's just not my style of pizza. This is a picture of the crumb of the pie I tried there (Chau took the pic).
Pizza is not bread.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2013, 08:16:56 AM »
I don't want to give the impression that L&B was bad - it certainly was not bad. Chau's assessment "tighter/denser visually but still very light in texture" is a good one though I probably would have used "soft" instead of "light" to describe the texture.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2013, 08:17:46 AM »
Johnny, your pie inspired me to try and make one with a more open crumb.   I gleaned a few tips and techniques from your posted recipe and method and got a more open crumb.  Not perfected yet on my end but the pie was good.  Thank you.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26839.msg271458.html#msg271458
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 08:30:21 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2013, 08:21:19 AM »
To me, the crumb was more bread than pizza.

Thanks, that makes sense. Based on the descriptions I've read and the pics I've seen  - it does seem to be a "bready" dough.

For those that haven't seen it- below's a post by David Lumb that highlights the L&B pie, and compares slices with Square and Underground. There's also a video and recipe - attempting to recreate the L&B pie.

http://www.animalnewyork.com/2012/lb-spumoni-gardens-notoriously-delicious-square-slice-deconstructed/

Next time I'll have to remember step no. 7 from the author's recipe:

7. Let cool for 20 minutes. Cut in squares and serve the corner to your favorite person. Chumps get the middle no-manís-land slice.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 08:23:40 AM by Johnny the Gent »
Il miglior fabbro