Author Topic: Guess which famous square pie inspired this effort  (Read 2185 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Guess which famous square pie inspired this effort
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2013, 08:29:30 AM »
I think I appreciated the L&B slice more than Craig did.  :D. Yes the texture was both soft and light, but light considering it's style and thickness.  It's a very well made dough.  The tightness and softness of the crumb likely comes from overmixing with a gentle action, a moderately high hydration, with a bit of oil in the dough. 

Another place I ate at called Nellos in Az had a similar texture.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12947.msg126063.html#msg126063

I have been trying to figure out how to reproduce this effect for a long time without success.  I think the part of the equation I am missing is the big commercial mixer making a big batch of dough at one time.

I do recall Craig saying that it is more like bread than pizza to me, but I would not say the texture is bread like in any way.  "Bread like" gives me the idea of a heavy or dense crumb and this was not so.  The texture was very soft and light considerig its thickness and that it was fried in oil.  It is bread like if you are talking about a well made baguette with a light and pillowy crumb.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 08:48:56 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2013, 08:39:11 AM »
I don't want to give the impression that L&B was bad - it certainly was not bad. Chau's assessment "tighter/denser visually but still very light in texture" is a good one though I probably would have used "soft" instead of "light" to describe the texture.

The adjective used in this post [url]http://www.animalnewyork.com/2012/lb-spumoni-gardens-notoriously-delicious-square-slice-deconstructed/]http://www.animalnewyork.com/2012/lb-spumoni-gardens-notoriously-delicious-square-slice-deconstructed/] [url]http://www.animalnewyork.com/2012/lb-spumoni-gardens-notoriously-delicious-square-slice-deconstructed/[/url] was "pillowy" - specifically the center. That reminds me of some bread I've had, especially freshly baked.

Johnny, your pie inspired me to try and make one with a more open crumb.   I gleaned a few tips and techniques from your posted recipe and method and got a more open crumb.  Not perfected yet on my end but the pie was good.  Thank you.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26839.msg271458.html#msg271458

Looks great! I'll have a question about that pie, will post on that thread.

Il miglior fabbro

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2013, 08:42:24 AM »
I don't want to give the impression that L&B was bad - it certainly was not bad. Chau's assessment "tighter/denser visually but still very light in texture" is a good one though I probably would have used "soft" instead of "light" to describe the texture.

Craig,

I would agree with you that soft would be the word.  My slice had a gum layer, which I don't know was good or bad.  To me it reminded me of being bready.  I guess that is not my style of pizza either.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2013, 08:43:09 AM »

I do recall Craig saying that it is more lile bread than pizza to me, but I would not say the texture is bread like in any way.  "Bread like" gives me the idea of a heavy or dense crumb and this was not so.  The texture was very soft and light considerig its thickness and that it was fried in oil.

Are you guys sure you ate the same pie?  :-D  JK!
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2013, 08:56:30 AM »
Are you guys sure you ate the same pie?  :-D  JK!

We sat right next to each other and had slices from the same pie.  ;D.

Btw, I do like the look of the open crumb better, but I've yet to produce the same softness in the crumb of the L&B square.  It may just be the specific flour.  ???
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 09:01:40 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2013, 09:06:26 AM »
We sat right next to each other and had slices from the same pie.  ;D. That article you posted is informative and a bit comical.  They show the cross sections of the competitors pies and nit pick as if L&B was some unattainable gold standard.  They provide a recipe but conveniently left out a picture of the baked pie and cross section to be analyzed.   ???  Fail...

Btw, I do like the look of the open crumb better, but I've yet to produce the same softness in the crumb of the L&B square.  It may just be the specific flour.  ???

Good point - it would have been nice to see the end result of their recipe, right?

How to obtain that pillowy center...It just may be the specific flour. Based on the uniformity of the crumb, and considering the soft texture, I'm inclined to think that the yeast level leans more towards heavy than moderate...
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2013, 09:12:51 AM »
Johnny I had missed the video before I posted my fail comment but after watching the video, I still didn't see a crumb shot. 

They pointed out "irregular cheese rising through the sauce layer" on the underground square but completely ignored the same phenomenon on the L&B square.   ???. Way to be critical.   :-D

Also in the recipe and video provided,  the dough looks much more proofed up then I remember seeing at L&B the one time I was there.  Admittedly I have not spent any significant time replicating their pizza.  Maybe some L&B experts can chime in.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2013, 11:34:57 AM »
If I remember right, at L&B, they top the risen dough with cheese and then bake/par-bake it. I seem to remember stacks of trays of baked dough and cheese that they would later top with the tomato sauce and grated cheese and bake again. I also remember seeing some slices with a gum line as Norma noted - generally under areas where the cheese was thicker.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Hobbs

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2013, 06:53:05 PM »
Johhnny, I agree with others sentiment....that pie looks better than the L&B!!

It looks like a happy middle point between full sicilian and a grandmas pie...love the simplicity. Looks fresh and bright.

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2013, 06:09:16 PM »
Here's a couple pics from a new formula I tried out last night. (topped with sauce first, followed by cheese)

Soft inside, a bit of chew, some larger open alveoli near the outer crust, and uniformly open(kinda) in the middle.

What do yall think?
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2013, 06:13:09 PM »
Johnny,

Methinks you done good!

Peter

Offline redox

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2013, 06:23:05 PM »
Johnny,
That looks delicious to me even though I just ate some NY style pizza. There's always room for Jello (and pizza, if you try real hard.)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2013, 06:39:28 PM »
Johnny,

Looks delicious to me too! 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2013, 09:14:42 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!

I used  50% liquid whey (seperated from some fresh curds) and 50% water, to make a 70% hydration, same day dough.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 09:17:12 PM by Johnny the Gent »
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2013, 09:34:34 PM »
I'm loving on that.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2013, 03:51:02 AM »
Here's a couple pics from a new formula I tried out last night. (topped with sauce first, followed by cheese)

Soft inside, a bit of chew, some larger open alveoli near the outer crust, and uniformly open(kinda) in the middle.

What do yall think?

Looks GREAT....and being an RT I immediately liked the "alveoli" reference, very appropriate, and taking into account some of the naughtier kids tonite in the ICU and their naughty lungs, really kind of caught my eye!!

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

pizzapan