Author Topic: My attempt at Chicago thin crust.  (Read 2990 times)

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
Re: My attempt at Chicago thin crust.
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2013, 01:33:16 AM »
I had seen the sausage recipe. I don't have a meat grinder, but maybe I could use the food processor. I do have a friend who is a butcher, Hmmm...

Thanks Garvey! It was one of the easiest pies I have made. I did the 3 day rest, and the skin rolled out easily. I think your sauce recipe is what nailed if for me. Nice and spicy. I may up the heat on my next batch of the Red Gold. I will go thinner on the next pie, and try the no knead technique. I'll post a few picks. I'm looking forward to the leftovers tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for the help. :)

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2013, 09:44:11 AM »
Nick:

You can use pre-ground pork.  Just get something that isn't too lean.  Something like 80/20 is good.  Stay away from anything calling itself lean, like ground loin or the 90/10 stuff. 

PIZZA FACTORY SAUSAGE

Note: You must use a scale for this sausage. There is no way to accurately estimate the amount of salt needed otherwise. This recipe can be made with pre-ground pork as well. Mix ingredients as directed in Day 1, allow to rest at least 8 hours, then skip the grinding step and proceed as directed in the paddling step in Day 2 (i.e., all you need is the first step of Day 1 and last step of Day 2).

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2013, 11:16:42 AM »
My usual grocery store has name brand ground pork, but it is just awful. I do know where I can get the 80/20 mix, so I'll give the recipe a try. Should taste better than the Johnsonville, though after I fix it up, it tastes pretty good.

I had some leftovers, and they were just as good as yesterday. I want to Get Chicago Bob's take on my pie. He is a wealth of knowledge on those Chicago pies.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 12:45:35 PM by nick57 »