Author Topic: GM Neapolitan Flour . . . I'm sold!  (Read 2755 times)

Offline bakeshack

GM Neapolitan Flour . . . I'm sold!
« on: August 05, 2013, 06:07:40 PM »
So, I finally received a sample bag of the GM Neapolitan Flour last week and I have to say that I am extremely impressed.  Of course, this is the first time I have used it so I need to do some more tests but it is looking very good.  The consistency of the dough using the exact formula that I use for a sourdough Caputo Pizzeria is exactly the same and the finished product was very soft and tender.   I will do a side-by-side test next time with Caputo Pizzeria. 

100% GM Neapolitan
60% Water
1.8% SD culture
3% Salt

Hand mixed/kneaded for about 8 mins.  One stretch and fold before a 14-hr bulk at 60F.  Balled for another 23 hrs at 75-80F. 

Offline bakeshack

Re: GM Neapolitan Flour . . . I'm sold!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 06:08:47 PM »
more

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 06:11:48 PM »
Beautiful as always. Was that dough fermented a little more than you normally do?
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 06:12:34 PM »
Wow!  some of your best work Marlon.   :drool:

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 06:14:38 PM »
Anybody know where to buy this or whom to contact for sample bags?  PM me

I can't find Caputo here locally.  I have to mail order.

Thanks,

Karl

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 06:20:50 PM »
Beautiful as always. Was that dough fermented a little more than you normally do?

Thanks, Craig!  The dough was probably a little over than what I would consider ideal but it was still easy to work with somehow.  There were no extra large bubbles in the dough during the time I used it.  I would say it has a nice window of usability similar to Caputo unlike the other flours that I have used (i.e. Molino Pasini, etc.)  I planned on baking them 3 hrs earlier but my plans got derailed by some little ones as usual.    :-D 

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 06:22:21 PM »
Wow!  some of your best work Marlon.   :drool:

Thank you, Chau!  I have not made NP for quite some time since I have been doing a lot of NY-style lately but this flour made it easy for me to get back on the groove. 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 06:25:28 PM »
Marlon,

Wow, what beautiful pizzas!  :chef:

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 06:27:40 PM »
Marlon,

Wow, what beautiful pizzas!  :chef:

Norma

Thank you, Norma!

Offline dhorst

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 06:39:29 PM »
Gorgeous.  If I think hard enough, maybe a WFO will appear in my back yard, so I can make some Neapolitan pies.  The boiler method is decent.  But after working at a WFO place and then witnessing Craig's magic...well a girl can only dream.  I must say your pizzas will be haunting my dreams tonight.
For the love of Aleppo chile, ask and you shall receive.

Offline Pulcinella

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 07:36:27 PM »
Beautiful pizzas you made. :drool: Did you keep your dough balls for 23 hrs in a dough tray or in solitary containers like Craig does? If in dough tray, how good did they hold themselves inside tray after 23 hrs? Were they easy to handle?

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 08:56:23 PM »
Gorgeous.  If I think hard enough, maybe a WFO will appear in my back yard, so I can make some Neapolitan pies.  The boiler method is decent.  But after working at a WFO place and then witnessing Craig's magic...well a girl can only dream.  I must say your pizzas will be haunting my dreams tonight.

Thank you!  Maybe, the girl can ask the boys in her life to build her one.   >:D   

Beautiful pizzas you made. :drool: Did you keep your dough balls for 23 hrs in a dough tray or in solitary containers like Craig does? If in dough tray, how good did they hold themselves inside tray after 23 hrs? Were they easy to handle?

Thanks!  The dough balls were inside the traditional dough tray.  They were quite easy to handle and I didn't have any problems taking them out and stretching them.  There were no extra large bubbles, which I dislike when opening dough balls and the dough felt soft yet strong enough in my hands.  I could have used the dough balls 3 hours earlier and I could have probably still used them (if I had leftover dough balls) at least 4 hours after I started baking.   

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 10:44:02 PM »
Scott123 hooked me up with the local rep Bag is in the mail in 1 email!  :P reports to follow
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Pulcinella

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 12:24:40 AM »
Thanks!  The dough balls were inside the traditional dough tray.  They were quite easy to handle and I didn't have any problems taking them out and stretching them.  There were no extra large bubbles, which I dislike when opening dough balls and the dough felt soft yet strong enough in my hands.  I could have used the dough balls 3 hours earlier and I could have probably still used them (if I had leftover dough balls) at least 4 hours after I started baking.

Your professionalism is commendable.

It looks like you, Craig and Omid got awesome results with GM's Neapolitan flour. You and Craig used sourdough, Omid used fresh yeast. You used 37 hrs of fermentation (60% hydration), Craig 48 hrs (60% hydration) and Omid 24 hrs (64-65% hydration). You used fermentation temperatures 60F degree and 75-80 F, Craig 60 or 64F and Omid 69-77F and 71-76F. You used your homemade WFO, Craig Acunto, Omid Ferrara. This is a versatile flour. I got to try it.

1st picture=Bakeshack's margherita
2nd picture=Craig's margherita
3rd picture=Omid's margherita

Offline rockmes

• Gotta have a wood oven
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2013, 06:08:32 AM »
Your professionalism is commendable.

It looks like you, Craig and Omid got awesome results with GM's Neapolitan flour. You and Craig used sourdough, Omid used fresh yeast. You used 37 hrs of fermentation (60% hydration), Craig 48 hrs (60% hydration) and Omid 24 hrs (64-65% hydration). You used fermentation temperatures 60F degree and 75-80 F, Craig 60 or 64F and Omid 69-77F and 71-76F. You used your homemade WFO, Craig Acunto, Omid Ferrara. This is a versatile flour. I got to try it.

1st picture=Bakeshack's margherita
2nd picture=Craig's margherita
3rd picture=Omid's margherita

Nice reply. To have all that info from the masters on this forum in one nutshell!
Beautiful pizza's. They really do set the standard.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 10:21:36 AM »
Simply perfect looking pies!!!!

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline vmangiacapra

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 10:25:12 AM »
Where did you purchase the GM flour? 

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2013, 12:50:45 PM »
Simply perfect looking pies!!!!

jon

Thanks, Jon!

Where did you purchase the GM flour? 

I got a sample bag from a GM rep in my area.

Offline italdream

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2013, 01:01:20 PM »
So, I finally received a sample bag of the GM Neapolitan Flour last week and I have to say that I am extremely impressed.

Some of the best pies that I have ever seen. Bravissimo.
With respect to texture and taste, would you say that it is better or same as Caputo?

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2013, 01:43:50 PM »
Some of the best pies that I have ever seen. Bravissimo.
With respect to texture and taste, would you say that it is better or same as Caputo?

Thank you very much!  The texture and flavor is very comparable to Caputo.  I have used several 00 flours for Pizza Napoletana like San Felice, 5Stagioni, Molino Pasini, etc. and I have to say that the GM is the closest in texture and flavor from the dough itself up to the baked pizza.  The other 00 flours are also very good in their own way but the GM flour is closest to Caputo.  I personally think the Molino Pasini Verde produces an even more tender pizza than Caputo though. 

Marlon